Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 3
Next Page
11/5/2017 8:46:28 PM EDT
These started out during the Depression.  The onion was used to stretch out the use of the hamburger.

You start with your balls of meat and let let them get a nice sear on the bottom



Then you smash the shit out of them and cover with paper thin sliced onion



After the flip



Add your cheese and bottom bun



Pull, flip and top with mustard and pickles



Eat





11/5/2017 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
11/5/2017 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks great.


One of the best burgers I've ever had was at a little dinner in downtown Chickasha, OK. It wasn't like your though.


eta- Looked the place up, J&W Grill, it was an onion burger.
11/5/2017 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll allow it.
11/5/2017 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
11/5/2017 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
That shit looks delicious.
11/5/2017 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to try that. 
11/5/2017 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Quoted:
That shit looks delicious.
View Quote
Agreed.


Which MOA dot on the CMore OP?
11/5/2017 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Bunny’s Onion Burgers on 50th is my favorite place if you want to try an onion burger out if you’re ever in OKC. Needs a little salt on the patty, the fries are legendary too.
11/5/2017 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Pro tip. The bottom part of a bun is called the heel, the top part is the crown.  Triple decker? The middle slice is called the club.
11/5/2017 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Been here 2 years, still haven't tried one.  Might need to put it on the list, though.
11/5/2017 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I watched a YouTube cooking vid about these the other day with my girlfriend(she's from Ok) This is authentic according to her.
11/5/2017 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Cooks country kitchen on PBS showed how to make them.  The only difference was that they dried the onions with a paper towel before molding the onions into the burgers.  I make them on occasion.
11/5/2017 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol at drinking an ultra with two cheese burgers
11/5/2017 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
These started out during the Depression.  The onion was used to stretch out the use of the hamburger.

You start with your balls of meat and let let them get a nice sear on the bottom

https://i.imgur.com/aoTh6QS.jpg

Then you smash the shit out of them and cover with paper thin sliced onion

https://i.imgur.com/AvEO5Yx.jpg

After the flip

https://i.imgur.com/g84qjjm.jpg

Add your cheese and bottom bun

https://i.imgur.com/kRsWy0Y.jpg

Pull, flip and top with mustard and pickles

https://i.imgur.com/CitNCZQ.jpg

Eat

https://i.imgur.com/BTPIyEF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IIGLEPd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Mxnczqp.jpg
View Quote

OK OP, I'm calling it...

You
Are
Awesome

A.W.D.
11/5/2017 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good, OP.  May have to give it a try.
11/5/2017 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like how White Castle started.
11/5/2017 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate onions, but i'd still eat that.

Do you always set your food up on fancy paper?
11/5/2017 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice work op.
Basic but looks tasty/legit.
11/5/2017 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks pretty dang good. Do you use 80/20 lean/fat beef?
11/5/2017 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Ha, I just ate some Hayes burgers for dinner, which are basically the same thing. They come from Hayes Hamburgers & Chili in Gladstone, MO. Like little heavenly steaks on a bun.

Those look damned good too, OP!
11/5/2017 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:
Looks great.


One of the best burgers I've ever had was at a little dinner in downtown Chickasha, OK. It wasn't like your though.


eta- Looked the place up, J&W Grill, it was an onion burger.
View Quote
J&W is AWESOME!
11/5/2017 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#22]
put both buns on top and use a lid and onion goodness soaks into the bunns then you have a slider , welcome to Detroit ....
11/5/2017 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Remove the onions and gtg
11/5/2017 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Quoted:
put both buns on top and use a lid and onion goodness soaks into the bunns then you have a slider , welcome to Detroit ....
View Quote
Telway, Bray's, Hunter House, Travis...
11/5/2017 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Quoted:
Looks pretty dang good. Do you use 80/20 lean/fat beef?
View Quote
80/20
11/5/2017 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Never heard of that method but it damn sure looks good OP!
11/5/2017 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
No frou frou fancy name lettuce or imported vegetables, no snooty brioche bun... Winner! Finally! That looks delicious!
11/5/2017 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Needs some hatch green chili
11/5/2017 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:
Sounds like how White Castle started.
View Quote
One of my first jobs was working at WC as a cook and I was impressed by how they trained me and you are right, that is pretty much how they started
11/5/2017 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Local place makes their burgers just like that. Kinda makes sense since they opened in 1932.
11/5/2017 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Quoted:
Looks good, OP.  May have to give it a try.
View Quote
11/5/2017 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Ann’s onion burgers El Reno Oklahoma. Best one I’ve ever eaten, so greasy it drips down your elbows.
11/5/2017 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#33]
One of the many things I miss about Oklahoma.
11/5/2017 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#34]
No Mossberg Shockwave?

9/10
11/5/2017 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Had a similar concoction for supper a while ago!
11/5/2017 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#36]
You can never go wrong with beef and onions.  
11/5/2017 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#37]
-1 no long gun reload
-1 no sidearm reload

Looks fucking fantastic

8/10 would eat

ETA props on using mustard instead of ketchup.
11/5/2017 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#38]
That looks awesome.  I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow night.  
11/5/2017 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:
Looks great.


One of the best burgers I've ever had was at a little dinner in downtown Chickasha, OK. It wasn't like your though.


eta- Looked the place up, J&W Grill, it was an onion burger.
View Quote
I love that place!

Also-
Chuck's in Elk City
That little cafe in Hammon, forgot the name
Sid's in El Reno


Yummm.
11/5/2017 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#40]
86 the pickles, and we have a winner!
11/5/2017 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#41]
10/10

My grandma used to make them but she used cabbage cooked with the hamburger fat.

She would slice pickled beats like frys and batter them with flower and fry them to make fries.  The stories she would tell us.
11/5/2017 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Tucker's in OKC.
11/5/2017 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#43]
There is a small, 10-seat diner called Nics in OKC that made it onto Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.   

11/5/2017 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#44]
looks delicious Op!
11/5/2017 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Love em.
11/5/2017 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#46]
11/5/2017 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#47]
OP that looks amazing


Quote History
Quoted:
There is a small, 10-seat diner called Nics in OKC that made it onto Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vym-tdcoseA
View Quote


Damn only open 11-2? What a smart guy. He probably rakes in a shit ton and works like 6 hours a day
11/5/2017 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I could do without the pickles but I would totally smash that.
11/5/2017 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Would smash!

But, you already did, so I'd just eat it.  

9.87/10
11/6/2017 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Huh, I never realized this was a sorta regional thing. If a place serves burgers there’s probably an onion burger on the menu.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 3
Next Page