Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/26/2003 4:27:13 AM EDT
I recently bought a 12,000 BTU window air conditioner. I live in an old house that only has two-prong outlets. Of course the air conditioner has the three-prong (w/grounding) cord. Is it safe to buy one of those three to two prong adapters or should I have an electrician put in a new three-prong outlet near the window? If I buy an adapter, I will still need an extension cord to reach the existing outlet. What is the purpose of the grounding prong - reduce risk of shock, reduce fire hazard??
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:31:40 AM EDT
Install a new grounded outlet. Do NOT use an extention cord.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:34:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By osprey21: Install a new grounded outlet. Do NOT use an extention cord.
View Quote
I know not to use a standard $2 extension cord, but what about the heavier guage ones? Aren't there some that are rated for appliances?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:35:00 AM EDT
[b]What is the purpose of the grounding prong - reduce risk of shock, reduce fire hazard??[/b] Yeah, but it will work with an adapter (if there aren't too many other things on the circuit). Use a heavy duty extension cord and maybe a some kind of overload breaker device would be a good idea. Rewiring is, of course, the best solution.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:42:23 AM EDT
I'll probably end up calling an electrician to put in a new outlet on a separate circuit. I surely don't want to cause a hazard, but I thought I would run it by you guys to see if this was necessary.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:54:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:56:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2003 4:57:20 AM EDT by Oslow]
[b]I'll probably end up calling an electrician[/b] That would be best; I'm speaking as someone that has lived in an "old" house. 12,000 btu is kind of heavy for one of those old circuits.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:58:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By David_Hineline: If you look at the 2 prong adapter it should have a grounding screw lug which no one ever uses that is supposed to be grounded to an adequate ground source.
View Quote
Right - I did see the metal flange on the adapter that is supposed to be grounded to the screw in the face plate of the outlet. The package says that this is only effective if the outlet's screw is grounded properly, which I have no clue how to tell.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:02:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR_Shorty: Right - I did see the metal flange on the adapter that is supposed to be grounded to the screw in the face plate of the outlet. The package says that this is only effective if the outlet's screw is grounded properly, which I have no clue how to tell.
View Quote
It isn't.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:33:12 AM EDT
That thing has a ONE horsepower compressor motor and a 1/4 or so for the fan. Start current is pretty high. You GOT to have a separate circuit. #12 / 20 amp advised. The third wire safety ground is for your protection. When compressors and fans fail (as well as other components) they often energize the case of the unit. If you touch it, your lights can be the ones that go out. This can happen and the unit will still work! It is also possible to get enough leakage current to set the house on fire. An overloaded circuit can do the same thing. Either way, you need a new place to store guns!!
Top Top