Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/24/2003 5:05:22 PM EDT
I figured I would save a bunch of money and do it myself. I bought the tint and install kit. Now, I am going to follow the directions to a T, but any of have tips that worked for you? It will be going on my Xterra
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:13:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:15:26 PM EDT
My Grand Cheroke had all the back windows tinted. So I just paid a guy $40 to tint my front 2 windows.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:19:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:34:50 PM EDT
Anyone know or have a link to the Oklahoma Statutes that cover window tinting or if Tulsa County has even more strict ones? How dark can you go and what are the rules for front windows?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:39:44 PM EDT
Ditto on VERY CLEAN WINDOWS!!!! Don't be afraid to use lots of soapy water to position the tint. I have do it before and it wasn't bad looking, however I would rather pay someone to do it. BTW the tint that most places is not the same quality that they sell in the tint shops. Not to mention the warranty they give you. Almost all the store bought tint will turn colors while the real tint from stores will be much better and last longer. If you do go ahead and do it good luck and be patient.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:16:29 PM EDT
Well, I went and got a real soft black rubber hand squeegee tonight to add to my tint kit. I will try to begin work tomorrow if its not 97 degrees out again. I will take before and after pics!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:29:16 PM EDT
can tint be applied on a back window with defrosters?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2003 8:34:47 PM EDT by Zardoz]
Originally Posted By 7IDL: can tint be applied on a back window with defrosters?
View Quote
Yes, but you'll have to really bear down HARD when using the squeegee. Also, using a blow dryer with the heat on will help the film form itself to the grid.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:05:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2003 9:06:11 PM EDT by Morpheus]
Many newer vehicles do not use mast antennas any more but instead use antennas that are embedded in the rear glass or sometimes the rearmost side glass (SUVs). Usually, the darker shades of window tint contain metal particles which can potentially degrade the radio reception if they are in contact with the in-glass antenna. Also, sometimes people go a little crazy with the razor blade when doing the trimming and accidentally cut a defroster or antenna filament. Not good. The Xterra has only a mast antenna, so you are OK. This is just something for the rest of you DIY'ers to keep in mind. More and more OEMs are switching to amplified in-glass antennas, so just be careful. If we have a customer who complains about poor radio reception, the first question we ask is whether aftermarket metallic window tint was intalled, and who performed the installation. Just FYI.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:41:20 PM EDT
Check your statutes first. It'd be a real bummer if you found out the one window that reaalllly reeaaally turned out best was illegal and gained you a fixit cite. Tint shops around here will do whatever you want. the more reputable will let you know if it's illegal before they do it. It's ok for them to do it. the driver owner gets stuck. The less reputable shops put it on and then charge you to take it off.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:47:28 AM EDT
Lot's of water and a spray bottle! Pre-cut your file to size. I hope you got the best quality film available - and not the purple film.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:01:06 AM EDT
Ever see what happens when a 3yr old gets ahold of a roll of scotch tape ? That's what it looked like when I tried tinting my own windows... My best advice... Pay the extra $$$ to the experts after you screw it up yourself...[:D] You'll get a much better job... Actually, the commercial grade tint is thicker and stronger than the retail stuff... I've had several vehicles done over the years, and never regretted paying someone to do it... Good luck !!!
Top Top