Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 12:48:23 PM EDT
Hey guys,
My poor dog is continously getting fleas. Everytime I spray her with Adams flea killer she goes nuts. I have the Orkin man come out every month, but they  keep comming back. What flea medication do you guys trust(Frontline,Advantix,Advantage,Program ect)? What do you think works most effectively, the topical stuff or pills?
(BTW, she has short hair and is about 65lbs)

Thanks Brad  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Advantage.

Worth the $$

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Advantage.

Worth the $$

Sgtar15
View Quote

One more for that. I had the same problem a few weeks ago and posted about it. Everyone said either get frontline or advantage. I bought some frontline off the internet and havent seen a flea since.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Where did you get it? I think I'm gonna try that [url]www.petmeds.com[/url], how do thier prices compare to other online stores?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
advantage!

you can get it off of ebay for decent price or at local feed stores(most carry it)

this auction is for a 21-55lb dog.. if your dog is bigger or smaller, just search ebay for "advantage dog" or "advantage canine" and find an auction for apropriate weight.
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2330029064&category=20749[/url]

my gf gets it off of ebay, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where did you get it? I think I'm gonna try that [url]www.petmeds.com[/url], how do thier prices compare to other online stores?
View Quote

i got mine from [url]http://www.petshed.com/[/url]. Not sure how the prices compare. I didnt shop around all that much. I just wanted those damn things dead.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife, who is probably the best veterinarian in Oklahoma (no shit), says that Frontline is the best, in either spray or drops.  Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
The key to getting rid of fleas is to interrupt the life cycle, with a combination of pesticide and environment control.

See where your dog lies, what environmental conditions are allowing the fleas to propagate?

Just killing them with pesticide is solving only half of the problem.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
the vet will chime in here and say that the topical treatments like Frontline or Advantage are probably the best flea meds out there...now the only disadvantage to Advantage is that it does not do a thing against ticks.

So i prefer Frontline for that reason.

DO NOT use flea powders, sprays, collars, or any topical that is sold over the counter.  Not only are they horribly ineffective, i have seen some terrible reactions to the OTC topical flea medication.

And of course, you must treat the inside and outside environment.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Frontline is what I use, have yet to see a flea or a tick on my dog.

I've had a few ticks on me though already this year. Maybe I'll drop some Frontline on me. [;D]

I hate those blood sucking varmints!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Advantage...but it has to be just part of an overall flea eradication plan.

We had dogs and cats for years when we live in SoCal.  The cats are the ones that bring the fleas home.  We always had infestations and only stayed on top of them with agressive action.

My brother was an exterminator for many years and he showed me how to kill those nasty buggers.  Treat the yard, the house and the pets.  Don't miss anything.  Have the exterminator spray the yard with something like Dursban LO (low odor), spray the house with something like Saftrotin, use a quality anti-flee shampoo on rover and then use the stuff the vet gives you.

The over the counter stuff won't work.  The aerosol bombs won't work...not well anyway.  They will help but a pro is really what you need.

Miz LWilde and I would get ready to go somewhere first, then spray the outside yards and garden, then the house, then wash the dog and cat and leave for about four hours.  We were usually good for about six weeks.

Fleas suck...I hate those critters.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Just shave your dog, end of problem [:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The key to getting rid of fleas is to interrupt the life cycle, with a combination of pesticide and environment control.

See where your dog lies, what environmental conditions are allowing the fleas to propagate?

Just killing them with pesticide is solving only half of the problem.
View Quote

K, does your "partner", go home with you?? I.E., is he/she "your" dog? You didn't reccomend any flea treatment, is that because it's not really a problem because your dog/partner doesn't spend much time in a flea environment???
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Advantage! You don't need to use anything else.

"Advantage stops fleas from biting in 3-5 minutes, kills 98-100 percent of fleas within 12 hours of application, kills re-infesting fleas within two hours and lasts up to a month."
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Frontline.  Moved in to new house with 2 cats.  Previous owner left me a little gift (the place was already infested).  I did nothing more than use Frontline Plus on the cats and in about a month I noticed I wasn't being bit at ALL anymore.  It's been four months, and the cats are still getting dosed, but I haven't seen a flea since the second month.  That stuff works.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#15]
another vote for advantage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]
advantage
then spread Eliminator granules containing diazonon around your yard just before a good rai or you can water it woth a hose. do this evry month till flea season is over.
Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top