BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 3:37:09 PM EDT
Muffs or plugs? and what brand?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it from a guy who can't hear the phone ring one room away. Plugs and muffs. Wish I had been a little smarter when I was younger. Just get a bunch of those foam plugs and some muffs rated in the 20's and you'll be doing fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I SECOND THAT!! Sorry for yelling. I do the plug and muff deal too. When at the line and shooting I have on both and then take off the muffs while in the general area. I shoot at outdoor rnages mostly. You can still communicate with the plugs in.

ByteTheBullet   (-:
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I SECOND THAT!! Sorry for yelling. I do the plug and muff deal too. When at the line and shooting I have on both and then take off the muffs while in the general area. I shoot at outdoor rnages mostly. You can still communicate with the plugs in.

ByteTheBullet   (-:
View Quote

Take it from a guy who can't hear the phone ring one room away. Plugs and muffs. Wish I had been a little smarter when I was younger. Just get a bunch of those foam plugs and some muffs rated in the 20's and you'll be doing fine.
Rustygun
View Quote

I say both also. I am suffering with severe tinnitus - it is so bad some nights I often wonder how I go to sleep and I should be using a hearing aid. But my stupidity wasn't just shooting w/o protection - I also raced cars with open headers and was in a rock band when younger. Do everything in your power to protect your hearing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Amplified active noise cancellation is the way to go if you can afford it.  With plugs- if you can stand it.  I have the peltors. Work great, fold up, comfortable and fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever is comfortable.

Protection wise, they are pretty comparable with the best plugs giving a few more dbA protection (roughly 32-33) than the best muffs (30-32).

Adding the two together doesn't "add" the protection, but does reduce total exposure by another 6 db or so (if I remember correctly).

I personally use plugs just because they are cheap and disposible (no cleaning) and they take next to no space in my shooting bag.

Still, if you want the extra protection of both, I won't poo poo the idea.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Please be aware also that the bones in head also coduct sound waves. Even though you are wearing plugs and muffs, you could suffer some hearing damage especially if you are firing 44mag loads. I had a hearing test once, and the guy could tell that I was a right handed shooter because of my minute hearing loss curve.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely both.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for both muffs and plugs.

I use MAX ear plugs from [url=http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=7&min=1&dyn=1&]Dillon Precision[/url].  You can get them in bulk for a pretty decent price.  I use Pro Ears electronic ear muffs.  They're kind of expensive, but they allow me to hear conversations yet block harmful noise levels.  As for non-electronic ear muffs, Peltor is a good brand.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]

For pistol shooting in large calibers like .357mag, .44mag, .480, .454 casual, or .50 S&W use plugs and muffs

Other pistol calibers muffs or plugs are fine.

All rifles I shoot usaually only plugs. Muffs get in the way.

If I'm in bed MUFFS ONLY!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top