Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 3:27:46 PM EDT
I have recently (2 weeks) started 4-6 days a week. I have a few questions:
1. Do muscles need to be sore the day after to get stronger/bigger?
2. How long will it take to get an increase in size?
3. Why is runnning so much of a pain in the ass?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
1. No

2. Depends on your body type: ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph and your diet and the amount of rest you get.

3. Because it sucks (BTW, a lot of aerobic exercise will burn the calories needed for muscle hypertrophy which is why many long distance runners look like sticks.)

Overtraining is the most common mistake.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the begining, you'll feel very sore, especially during the 48th hour.  Yes, you'll feel sore after you work out, but eventually it won't be as bad.  You'll start feeling more of a "pump."  To build muscle, you are actually tearing the muscle down, and yoru body builds it back up.

View Quote

This will vary from person to person.  For the most part you won't notice it, because you see your body every day.  Others on the otherhand will start commenting.  I'd say, if you remain constant, look for gains in 3-4 weeks.  You won't be a Hulk, but you and others will start noticing a diffrence.

View Quote

becauce it's challenging.  At first it will be a pain and boring, but once you get into a schedule, you'll actually feel horrible if you don't get your run in.

DON'T over do your workouts.  The key is enjoying the workout.  If you beat yourself up to the point where you are too sore to work out 2 days later, then you won't want to work out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

My muscles are usually the most sore two days after and stay sore for about 4 days.  IMO, if your muscles are not sore, then you are not working them hard enough.  But, some will disagree.  Muscles need three things to grow, proper exercise, proper nutrition, and enough rest.

View Quote

It depends on how good your diet is and how effective your workouts are.  I've seen people spend years in the gym and gain very little muscle mass.  Your diet plays a huge part.

View Quote

I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Diet is mostly meats and potatoes.
Not much green in there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Diet is mostly meats and potatoes.
Not much green in there.
View Quote

If you're trying to build muscle, you should be consuming 1.5-2 grams of protien per pound of body weight per day and at least as many carbs.  Of course, you're just starting out so you probably don't need that many calories per day.  You'll still see results if you don't eat that much, but if you really want to maximize your gains you need to start eating...a lot.  And stay away from supplements.  Most of them don't work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top