Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2003 9:43:22 AM EDT
Unlike almost all people any newspaper writer, we all know that the AWB did not ban rifles or magazines over 10 rounds, it just prevented certain rifles from being sold that has certain visual attributes and that existing mags were grandfathered.

Who has the website that shows the visual difference between a pre-ban and post-ban rifle?

I want to quiz people on which is the banned rifle and the un-banned one to show how stupid the AWB is.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Come'on guys, you can do better than this!!!

Help!

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's one: [url]http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/aw94.htm[/url]

Pay close attention to this at bottom of article: [url]http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/awc.htm[/url]

Mike
ps - this good enough for ya???
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the quiz I want to send to people.  What do you guys think:

............Quiz Start...............

How much do you know about the so-called Assault Weapons Ban?   Did the AWB really ban assault rifles or was it a hoax?  

It was voted into law in 1994 and has a sunset provision that will end it in Ocotober, 2004.  The passage of the AWB in 1994 right before the elections was a major factor in the Democrats losing the House that year.  

Take the AWB test, read the results and decide for yourself.

1.  The AWB banned the following:
a.  Assualt rilfes that can fire more than 1 round per trigger pull (i.e. machine guns)
b.  Semi automatic rifles that look like machine guns
c.  All semi automatic rifles in existence
d.  Production of certain semi automatic rifles containing certain cosmetic features (i.e. flashider, bayonet lug, pistol grip) after 10/94

2.  The AWB banned the following:
a.  All magazines containing more than 10 rounds
b.  Manufacture of magazines after 10/94 with more than 10 rounds

3.  The difference between a "Pre-Ban" and "Post-Ban" rifle is:
a.  Pre-ban fires a more powerful round
b.  Pre-ban has bigger magazine capacity and higher rate of fire
c.  Pre-ban contains certain cosmetic feature not affecting caliber, rate of fire or magazine capacity

4.  The AWB affected crime rate due to:
a.  Criminals would not break the AWB law
b.  Criminals could not buy/acquire/steal semi automatic rifles
c.  Crime rate went down due to other facters (i.e. Concealed carry laws in more states)

5.  Certain semi automatic rifles are still being manufactured and sold because:
a.  Manufacturers are using a "loophole" to sell semi automatic rifles
b.  Manufacturers are selling rifles that meet the criteria of the AWB

6.  The definition of an "Assault Weapon" is:
a.  Defined as a class of weapon by the US DOD
b.  Any weapon that can be used to assault
c.  A made up term arbitrarily used to support gun control

................Quiz End.............

What do you think?

Thanks,

Merlin

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:01:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Mike,

That works!

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Merlin check your dates. IIRC Klinton signed the bill on 9-13-94, not october. It is also set to sunset in sept 04. Also for Number4 add a D- has had no disernable effect on crime. there are two studies by the Justice Dept. that say this. Other than those I think your test is good to go.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's the quiz I want to send to people.  What do you guys think:
View Quote

I think that the features that the AWB banned are more then simply "cosmetic" The color of the gun, now that would be "cosmetic". The features all have purpose , but don't make them "better for criminal misuse".

Question number 5 really both answers are correct depending on your point of view. I think the anti-gunners think when the AWB banned specifically "Clones of the AR-15" that would include the post-ban ARs , see we even call postbans "AR-15s" , but the law is poorly written and illconcieved. We say we are following the law, they say its a "loophole".

Now the "Assault Weapon" definition question , I have a book written in 1985 or so called "Gun Digest book of Assault Weapons" thats all about the semi-auto guns, offhand I forget who its written by, but it's definately not an anti-gunner. The chapters in the book are about the AR-180 , Uzi Carbine, Uzi pistol, ect.... They publish an edition every year of so , I belive I have the 4th or 5th. I have heard the anti's quote from this alot , sometimes we can be our own worst enemy. I remember hearing "Assault Weapon" from our people before the antis picked it up.

Now I am playing a little devils avocate here, only because I belive anything we say should be truthful, and well thought out. Just because the antis distort and lie doesn;t mean we should stoop to that level.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Angst,

Thanks for the comments.  Just to be clear:  there is no intention of lying or deceiving on my part.  Now that you mention it, I do now recall a book called "Assault Weapons".  I may even have one!

I also believe that things like flashiders, stock length, etc. are cosmetic since they have no effect on the deadliness of the weapon in discussion (i.e. greater round power, higher rate of fire, etc).  Grenade launcher is pretty much academic since its already banned by the ATF.

Photoman, thanks for the comments.  I believe that he signed it into law in September, but it became effective about 30 days later.  I recall this because every mag maker was going nuts making mags before the ban went into effect.  Anybody have the exact dates?

I've made some changes to the quiz, mostly to clarify certain things and to add the photos and reference URL's to the AWB Challenge and AR15.com.

Any other comments?

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anybody have the exact dates?
Merlin
View Quote

[b][red]September 13, 1994[/red][/b]

From here: [url]http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/preORpost.html[/url]

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top