Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2003 10:37:50 PM EDT
[img]http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2003-05/7941014.jpg[/img]
Part of weapons cache found at Joseph Donato Jr.'s home (Newsday Photo / John H. Cornell Jr.)
View Quote

Newsday  May 25, 2003

District Looks For a Lesson
Hoping to reassure students

By Katie Thomas
Staff Writer

May 27, 2003

In the wake of a janitor's arrest for possession of firearms and other weapons, officials at the Deer Park school district say they are cooperating with authorities and preparing to talk to students about the incident.

Joseph Donato Jr., 34, of 856 Bay Shore Ave., who worked at the Robert Frost Middle School in Deer Park, was arrested Friday after Suffolk County district attorney detectives [red]searched his West Islip home acting on a tip [/red] and found illegal weapons, hate literature and other racist paraphernalia.

Deer Park School Board president Michael Oddo said the board held an emergency meeting Monday to discuss how to address students' and parents' questions. "We just wanted to assure everyone that we're working with the district attorney's office and we're working with the police,” Oddo said Monday during an interview. "The district is taking all necessary steps to protect the safety and welfare of each of our students and each employee in the district.” The middle school has 1,000 students.

Oddo said school district officials asked police to search two schools where Donato worked -- the Robert Frost Middle School and the 500-student John Quincy Adams Primary School, where Donato once worked as a substitute janitor. Oddo said the request "was purely precautionary.” Police did not confirm nor deny that the searches were taking place.

During their search of Donato's home, detectives found one shotgun, four pistols, eight rifles, nine semi-automatic rifles, plus ammunition and several other weapons. Robert Clifford, spokesman for District Attorney Thomas Spota, said federal law enforcement authorities will help his office examine the guns to determine if Donato had converted any of them into automatic weapons. They also are trying to trace the origin of the weapons, Clifford said.

Donato pleaded not guilty Saturday to two counts of fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon at his District Court arraignment in Central Islip. He is free on $2,500 cash bail. A man who answered the door at his home Monday declined to comment.

In addition to the weapons, detectives also found racist paraphernalia that included an Adolf Hitler doll, a copy of "The Aryan Coloring Book,” and a Ku Klux Klan hood and robe. Detectives said Donato told them he was an active member of the white supremacist group.

Oddo said Deer Park school officials will be meeting this week to decide how best to talk about the incident with students districtwide. "The building principals, I trust, will be conducting whatever they deem appropriate based on the age level in the schools,” he said.

A statement explaining the district is cooperating with authorities also will be distributed to students, Oddo said.
View Quote

[img]http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2003-05/7941037.jpg[/img]
Some of the guns and hate crime evidence, including a white hood, taken from the bedroom of Joseph Donato Jr. of West Islip.
View Quote

[url=http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lihate0527,0,6771052.story?coll=ny%2Dlinews%2Dheadlines]Link to Story[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
wait...

Did I miss something when I read the article? What law was broken, and why was he arrested. semi-auto rifles, pistols, shotgun some non-semi-auto rifles, and hate literature?

He a convicted felon?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Hate Crime evidence???  I didn't see anything about a hate crime in there.  I don't agree with this guy's ideas or politics, but I believe he can hate all he wants to, he just can't act on it.  Here we go into thought crimes...

TS

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a spot on that the other night on Fox 5 out of NYC.  I didn't really see what the big deal was.  School employees in NY can't own guns or something?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I beleive this is news from a foreign nation formerly the state of NJ or NY. Now they are Facist Democrat run EMPIRES that are against personal freedoms, just wait till they pass the SEX Permit license.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me preface by saying I find hate groups like the KKK and racists in general absolutely despicable.

I wish I was in a position to defend this guy. I would offer him my services for free.  This sounds like an illegal JBT weapons grabbing raid if there ever was one.  This guy needs to sue the SCPD for everything they are worth.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
His guns were illegal in NYC.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The article first says "illegal weapons were found" & then later it says "authorities were checking to see if the semis had been converted".

Which is it????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
looks like he HAD a nice collection.  i don't agree with the whole klan thing, but i don't see the problem as long as he didn't threaten or kill anyone.  wonder if he'll get his job back after this is all over?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The article first says "illegal weapons were found" & then later it says "authorities were checking to see if the semis had been converted".

Which is it????????????????????????????????
View Quote

Probably he didn't have a permit to own the weapons.  To really f**k up his world, they're getting the feds to "determine" if they're converted weapons.

TS
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm just glad this arsenal of hate is off the street, thanks in no small part to the good citizen who called in the tip. If more folks were willing to step up and do the right thing, as this citizen did, we could rid this country of hate and get on with the business of providing universal health care, saving social security and protecting our environment.

cynic
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Assuming that the guy has done nothing wrong and was hit as an easy target and as a DA's wet dream ("See, we got these evil weapons and an evil man off the street [i]before anything bad happened[/i]) I hope he gets a total rat-bastard go-for-the-jugular lawyer .

When its over, no one involved will be able to sit for a year due to the new assholes he's ripped them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
This is gonna sound like a dumb questions, but are knives illegal there too?  

Me thinks they confiscated them to make a dog and pony show....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#16]
During their search of Donato's home, detectives found one shotgun, four pistols,[red] eight rifles, nine semi-automatic[/red] rifles, plus ammunition and several other weapons.
View Quote

So we now have two different classifications of rifles according to these fucks.

He had a noose too?  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#17]
This is bad news on several levels. In addition to the fact that this dude is being demonized by the media, tainting the Jury pool before he's been tried, or any evidence presented, he's already considered guilty of the crime of owning "hate literature and other racist paraphernalia."

Who gets to decide what "hate literature" is?

And of course, the media and .gov are working hand in hand to paint all gun owners as "racist KKK clan members in white supremacist groups."

That can't be good.

(edited for spelling und grammar) [:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

My guns are illegal in NYC also.  Me and the man who was raided both live on long island where they are perfectly legal.  
Where are you even getting the idea that it occurred in NYC? or are you just stating random things?
View Quote

I chose your response to Combat_Jack as it is more pertinent to my post, or how I arrived at my conclusion, erroneously.

As a guy who lives in the woods in East Texas, I thought that Long Island was a part of NYC.  That was partly the reason for my response.  I also thought NY State firearms laws were almost as harsh as those of NYC.

TS
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#19]
while i think "supremacistics" are idiots and disagree with their views, they are allowed to have them.

double edged blades are [i]verboten[/i] in some juristictions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I know I promised not to post in racial threads, since race is not the topic, I hope I can get a pass this time....

Owning a sheet and a gun should be no more illegal than burning a cross. If its on your own property its nobody elses fucking business...

Note to self- Get rid of all my sheets before I am arrested for 'owning a gun while owning sheets' offense...

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And of course, the media and .gov are working hand in hand to paint all gun owners as "racist KKK clan members in white supremacist groups."
View Quote

Ok, just one more....While I was at admin during lunch, guns came up..I was visiting so I didnt say a word, sizing up who was how anti recon...

...The head bitch in charge of the office, "Anybody who is in the NRA is a Klansman"...

Yes, I pulled out my wallet, dropped my NRA card on the table and asked her when did they enroll Blacks in the Klan....The only reason she didnt crawl under the table is because her fat ass wouldnt fit...

The media is winning that smear campaign.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#23]
[url]www.courts.state.ny.us/cji/265/265-01(1)1.pdf[/url]

According to NYS Penis Law 265.01(1) Blackjacks are illegal...In the second pic under the patches I see two of em...That seems to be the two 4th degree charges he got. Funny isnt it all the shit in those pic's and he got F'd on those...But the anti's dont see that...[;)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Can rap music count as hate literature?..
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#25]
The weapons fourth charges could be on the pistols if they were found in his home.  Or they could be on the billy clubs too.

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
 A  person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
 (1) He possesses any [red]firearm[/red], electronic dart gun,  electronic  stun
gun,  gravity  knife,  switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, chuka  stick,  sand  bag,  sandclub,  wrist-brace  type  slingshot  or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
 (2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto, imitation  pistol,  or  any  other  dangerous  or deadly instrument or
weapon with intent to use the same unlawfully against another . . .
View Quote

Quick lesson in 4th Amendment 101 -- this is a massively illegal search and the weapons must be suppressed as the fruit of the poisoned tree.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Gotta love the dummy grenades in the first pic also...now paperweights are'nt safe...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Now I'm confused:

If I store my firearms with my sheets, then I'm guilty of a hate crime?

Gotta check the linen closet to see if that .22 is still there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Gotta love the dummy grenades in the first pic also...now paperweights are'nt safe...
View Quote

Don't know about NJ but they are illegal in the DPRK.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#29]
!!!!WTF is wrong with this country!!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Don't ya just love how they kept referring back to "the children"? [puke]

He oughta write his Congressman and Senators - they'd be sure to want to help out one of their oppressed constitutents. [;D]

Oh, and by the way, just in case you missed the moral of this story...
[red][b][size=4]EVERYONE'S guns have already been banned, they're just taking their time rounding them up.[/size=4][/red]

Eventually you'll break one of their Draconian laws and the Feds will no-knock on your door and cart off your guns because you got in a bar fight 30yrs ago because you got a DUI 20yrs ago or because you signed your "standard" divorce papers or because of an anonymous "tip" or simply because "Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of Americans to feel safe."

[size=4]Incremental gun confiscation is already underway.

House-by-house, slowly but surely, one gun-owner at at time.[/size=4][/b]

You may now return to your daily routine of paying your taxes and trying to avoid overstepping any of the 20,000+ federal laws on the books all designed just to trip you up and make you a target for this kind of shit.

Have a nice day. [:)]

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Are we goung to ban rope now? It can be easily converted into a noose, being an item fr a hate crime. Prices on "pre-ban" rope are going up. Get it while you can... fullclip

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Cynic, you forgot to switch to the Imbroglio User ID, and Mac, Ayyy-fuggin MEN brotha.

The house to house confiscation is underway.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Achtung, fixer kann Deutsch sprechen. Jetzt wir mussen laufen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

He was arraigned in Central Islip.

This isn't in New York City, it's pretty far out Long Island.

I'm not sure the NYC ban would cover that area.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok, just one more....While I was at admin during lunch, guns came up..I was visiting so I didnt say a word, sizing up who was how anti recon...

...The head bitch in charge of the office, "Anybody who is in the NRA is a Klansman"...

Yes, I pulled out my wallet, dropped my NRA card on the table and asked her when did they enroll Blacks in the Klan....The only reason she didnt crawl under the table is because her fat ass wouldnt fit...

View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The weapons fourth charges could be on the pistols if they were found in his home.  Or they could be on the billy clubs too.

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
 A  person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
 (1) He possesses any [red]firearm[/red], electronic dart gun,  electronic  stun
gun,  gravity  knife,  switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, chuka  stick,  sand  bag,  sandclub,  wrist-brace  type  slingshot  or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
 (2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto, imitation  pistol,  or  any  other  dangerous  or deadly instrument or
weapon with intent to use the same unlawfully against another . . .
View Quote

Quick lesson in 4th Amendment 101 -- this is a massively illegal search and the weapons must be suppressed as the fruit of the poisoned tree.
View Quote

WTF is a 'bludgeon'? Any blunt, dense instrument that COULD be used to strike someone?

Didn't the Nazis outlaw such things like sharp sticks?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:38:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Those same officers we keep being told are not going to come get ours sure seem awful proud of what they have done in that picture.

The ones who post here and are truly into firearms are on our side, but goons like this......
View Quote

Oh ya, all the ones here would NEVER do that!! I wonder how many cops refused to obey orders, and quit their jobs, rather than raid this guy...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#40]
So, anyone with a copy of "The Rise and Fall of the Thrid Reich", Adolf doll(lol) and banana clip for his 10/22 will be suspected of being a racist, terrorist or, anti-semite.

This is crazy, unless he was threatening those kids with killing them.

Like The_Mac said, the ban is underway...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#41]
WTF!!!!!!!!!! You cant even own a slingshot in that f#cking city!!!  

[SIZE=4]YOU CAN HAVE MY SLINGSHOT WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!![/SIZE=4]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Newsday  May 25, 2003
In addition to the weapons, detectives also found racist paraphernalia that included an Adolf Hitler doll, [red]a copy of "The Aryan Coloring Book,” [/red]and a Ku Klux Klan hood and robe. Detectives said Donato told them he was an active member of the white supremacist group.
View Quote

Isn't it kinda odd that there's an "Aryan coloring book"?  After all, they don't [i]want[/i] anyone to be colored.  I guess you just have to use white crayons.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Kind of off topic, but the article said he had "The Aryan Coloring Book.”  Is this what it sounds like, a coloring book for KKK/Nazi's?  If so, that is so weird it is funny.[bounce]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm just glad this arsenal of hate is off the street, thanks in no small part to the good citizen who called in the tip. If more folks were willing to step up and do the right thing, as this citizen did, we could rid this country of hate and get on with the business of providing universal health care, saving social security and protecting our environment.

cynic
View Quote

I hope you're kidding...if not you're an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Tagged to follow later....

Quick thoughts:
1. What about people who collect Nazi paraphenalia? (SP!)Is that "Hate" memorabilia?

2. Has anyone contacted the "news' agency involved to bitchslap them?

3. Some of those knives appear to be in a case, as in he collects them.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#47]
[b]During their search of Donato's home, detectives found one shotgun, four pistols, eight rifles, nine semi-automatic rifles, plus ammunition and several other weapons.[/b]
View Quote

[size=5][red][b]Well if this is a "weapons cache" then I'm FUCKED!, LOL[/b][/red][/size=5]

Donato pleaded not guilty Saturday to two counts of fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon at his District Court arraignment in Central Islip. He is free on $2,500 cash bail.
View Quote

[size=5][red][b]$2500.00 dollar bail = No case[/b][/red][/size=5]

[size=4][green][b]I'll bet a lot of us have at least that many if not more and my knife collection makes that look like someones silverware drawer[/b][/green][/size=4]

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
During their search of Donato's home, detectives found one shotgun, four pistols,[red] eight rifles, nine semi-automatic[/red] rifles, plus ammunition and several other weapons.
View Quote

So we now have two different classifications of rifles according to these fucks.

He had a noose too?  
View Quote

I would personally have said 17 rifles but in a world full of moron's some of them cannot differentiate between "Bolt Action and Semi-Automatic" rifles.

The dummy grenades are illegal in several states so that is not surprising nor is the "Slap Jacks".

Some of the "Knives etc." would be illegal even here in the "Woods of East Texas"!
A person commits an offense if he "carries on or about his person"...knives that have a blade longer than 5.5" or is double edged...etc.

I can own them but I can not carry them.

Makes me glad I just own a 10/22 and a .38!

But they will be illegal before long!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#49]
I fucking hate racists.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I fucking hate racists.
View Quote

So do I, and I would hope most decent people do as well.  That being said, it sounds like this guy is getting fucked.  His life is ruined, regardless of the outcome.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top