Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 5:25:17 PM EDT
I received the following email:

First hint was the header information which said it was transmitted through a Compuserve Mailserver. Paypal doesn't send its email through other servers.

2nd Hint: PayPal won't ask for your Account Password.

3rd Hint: Paypal won't ask for your Credit Card Number.

4th Hint: They have no need for your ATM PIN #.

5th Hint: They would know that I've recently used my account and they have sent me email, so they know my account is active and working.

The email has the PayPal logo, colors and look and feel of the PayPal website, so don't be fooled. I've reported the email to PayPal.

To : xxx
Subject : Dear PayPal Customer

Date : Wed, 21 May 2003 23:56:54 +0000

Dear PayPal Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and and Credit Card info number by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:
Password:
Full Name #:
Credit Card #:
Exp.Date(mm/yyyy) #:
ATM PIN (For Bank Verification) #:

This notification expires May 31, 2003

Thanks for using PayPal!
This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product updates when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

If you previously asked to be excluded from Providian product offerings and solicitations, they apologize for this e-mail. Every effort was made to ensure that you were excluded from this e-mail. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mail from Providian, go to http://removeme.providian.com/.

Copyright© 2002 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've gotten a few similar ones lately, including one asking for my chase account number and pin.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've just finished tracking down the collector of this information, actually the site he is using and reported the information to PayPal.

I just looked through his log file and he has already collected hundreds of names/accounts/passwords...over 88KB of information he has collected.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've just finished tracking down the collector of this information, actually the site he is using and reported the information to PayPal.

I just looked through his log file and he has already collected hundreds of names/accounts/passwords...over 88KB of information he has collected.

View Quote

If [s]you[/s] however looked in there can SEE the info .. can that "someone" simply delete the il-gotten info and do ALOT of people a favor,,

like someone in another thread said..  its not like they are going to call the cops and say.. "dude some one stole all the info I stole!" ..
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
No luck yet, I tried. He has it set for read/write access only. No deletion allowed unless I figure out his password.

What I may do is send emails to everyone and tell them what idiots they are and to change their accounts/passwords/pin #.

I'll report it to the FBI Internet Fraud unit too, but don't know how much good it will do since the server is in the UK.  Anyone have any contacts at Scotland Yard?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]
It seems this cam pissed off a number of people.
Someone contacted Surrey Police (UK) and contacted the webserver provider. The account was closed this morning, however not before hundreds/thousands of people were stupid enough to send their information.

The information file from yesterday was collected by the scammer, and a new file rolled over in its place.

Someone used the information to email all the people who responded to the scam to tell them to change their passwords and cancel their credit card.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#6]
'Nother example of the "dumbing down" of America. I find it hard to believe the level of 'un-common' sense that the average person now has.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Just today I got a fake EZPass email asking for my EZPass account number and pin.  It was very convincing looking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top