Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 11:18:17 AM EDT
OK LEOs...

We have all seen those people who donate money to the Policeman's retirement fund or to the Fraternal Order of Police or whatever, and then they put the stickers on their cars.

I myself have been contacted several times asking me to donate to various LEO organizations, retirement funds, police unions, police athletic leagues and so on.  The telemarketers imply that if you donate money, you will get a sticker to put on your car and it could help a traffic stop go more...ahem, smoothly.

Personally I don't know what to make of that claim.

So what is your reaction when you see one of those stickers on a car you stopped?  Do you think the owner of the vehicle is a genuine cheerleader for law enforcement, or do you think, "Oh, here's a guy who thinks he can buy his way out of a traffic ticket?"  Or do you think something else entirely???

What about your co-workers, have they ever made any comments about these stickers?

I will also say that regardless of your answers, it will not affect my decision to donate or not donate one bit.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a bunch of BS..the only people whose stops go more smoothly have FOP badges. I have seen more scrotes with the I support PD stickers than anyone else. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I don't pay them any attention.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the stop. At any rate, its embarrassing to have telemarketers soliciting money in the name of Police "anything".
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you dont know the person calling, hang up.
A lot of the calls are scams.
I had one call one time and he didnt even know my boss's name. I kept him on the phone for about 30 minutes just for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
When they call, I simply ask for their badge number.  Usually there is a silence for a moment, til they admit that they are not a sworn officer.  Then I simply tell them that I will contribute when a sworn officer calls me.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
As was previously stated, these are professional telemarketers.  They get up to 75-80% of donations and the rest goes to the FOP or PBA or whatever organization they purport to be soliciting for.  If you really want to help out your local or state FOP Lodge, become an Honorary Associate Member. It's usually around $35-$50 per year and you get to attend meetings.

To answer your question about the stickers...nope. Doesn't really matter. The driver has a lot more possibility of convincing me a warning is due than any sticker will.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Drug runners put stickers and bibles and shit in the car to make cops think they are good guys.
View Quote

Yep. anytime someone tells me "I'm on my way home from church" I start looking a little harder.

Around here we dont have cop type stickers on the cars. The firemen however all put stickers on their cars, and their wives cars, and kids cars, and parents cars, and everyone else they know. Hoping we will look the other way on minor offences. But there is so much bad blood between police and fire around here becuase of the firefighter percieved cowardice, that those firefighter stickers probubly cause more tickets than they prevent.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:14:38 AM EDT
[#10]
The guy on the phone told me that sticker would entitle me to run every green light in town!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been known to cut a break to drivers of cars bearing a NRA sticker. The rest , not much effect.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#12]
When I get called by a certain organization, I tell them how much of a bunch of weasels they are...I know I was screwed over by the state president,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top