Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/5/2003 6:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2003 6:28:31 PM EDT by Happyshooter]
Background: I have narrowed my rifle choices to a Walmart Winchester "Black Shadow" in 30/06 and a Remington 700 Plastic stock Walmart special in 30/06. Question: Which one should I get, all else being equal (which it darn near is)?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:34:36 PM EDT
I bought the Winchester, and I love it...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:15:47 PM EDT
That's right, go with the Remington. 'Course, I like 7.62mm better!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:17:42 PM EDT
i don't think you can go wrong either way. but i would get the remington, cause i don't have any remingtons right now(have a winchester already).
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:39:12 PM EDT
I think you should buy a folding chair then let me hit you with it for shopping at Wal Mart. [:D] Seriously, Wal Mart "suspended" sales of firearms and ammunition on 9-11 and for several days after to prevent "panic buying" of firearms. Why would you contribute money to a company with that mentality? Go down to a local gun shop and spend the extra $12.00 for the same gun. At least you will be supporting (and keeping in business) a guy who will sell you a gun on the day you NEED it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:46:10 PM EDT
The Rem 700 is the base for the Army M-24 (IIRC), and is the '10/22 of bolt actions' WRT upgrades and add-ons... Buy now, build up later... I'd get one myself, but I decided to play around with an old K98 action for 'build-it-yourself' reasons, and to save money in the beginning (I'm in $230 now, for the action and stock. Scope and mount being bought in the future.)
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:50:09 PM EDT
700 for sure. Best out of the box accuracy out there, even in a Walmart special. Speaking of which.....buy the gun elsewhere!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:01:03 PM EDT
I have a Remington so I am partial to them. However I have heard nothing but good things about Winchester as well as the Remington so I can see your 'quandry' (like that word?) What are the price differences? Also If I may say so. My brother has the 700 in .308 and I have the 710 in 30-06. I have never been a bolt action type person so when I saw the 710 for 349.00 and that came WITH a scope. How could I go wrong? RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX that rifle was [b]"dead on balls"[/b] accurate. If you STILL cannot decide... buy both [;)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:08:14 PM EDT
Seriously, Wal Mart "suspended" sales of firearms and ammunition on 9-11 and for several days after to prevent "panic buying" of firearms.
View Quote
i call[BS] link? seeing as how i work there, and i was there on 9/11 and the following days. this did not happen. i don't understand why so many people here have a problem with wal-mart. it is a business just like any other.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:23:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kooter:
Seriously, Wal Mart "suspended" sales of firearms and ammunition on 9-11 and for several days after to prevent "panic buying" of firearms.
View Quote
i call[BS] link? seeing as how i work there, and i was there on 9/11 and the following days. this did not happen. i don't understand why so many people here have a problem with wal-mart. it is a business just like any other.
View Quote
Link? How about my local stores did it? How about reported on all local news channels 9-12? Just because they didn't pull that shit at your store, doesn't mean ALL of the Wal Marts in South Florida didn't. Also I don't randomly make up shit. And not everything is on the internet with a "link." Some stuff actually happens to us in real life. And my problem with Wal Mart is they pull bullshit stunts like this. Just like K Mart decided to no longer sell firearms.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:32:04 PM EDT
if your local stores did it, then boycott your local stores. that was not a company wide policy, just a couple of dumbass store managers. did you call the home office? they would have straightened those stores out right away. whoops.....thread hijack....new thread started[:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:28:36 AM EDT
BTT for more advice
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:34:34 AM EDT
I'd buy the Remington, "just cause" I want one! Regardless of Steyr's personal beef Walmart is the ONLY chain store left that sells guns/ammo. Sure they make some assinine choices sometimes. That's a great reason why we should drive our last big "ally" (I use the term loosly) out of business. [rolleyes] I'll post a new topic on my feelings about Walmart.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:38:13 AM EDT
Rem 700 Walmart Special in .308
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:15:10 AM EDT
You need to get one of those winchester rifles chambered in 270, 7mm or 300 WSM. They come in at just under 400 dollars with a crappy scope.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:14:15 PM EDT
I bought the winchester black shadow about two years ago from Wal-mart and wouldn't trade it in for anything. Damn good shooter too. Keving67
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:17:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:18:12 PM EDT
Kev, I will IM asking this as well.. Would you mind giving me some more info? Rings and bases used; ease of cleaning; trigger; bolt; magazine; group size; zero point movement; scope you used--anything like that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:02:26 PM EDT
Use your AR for deer, they work great. Read up at www.ammo-oracle.com for advice on what works best.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:24:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Happyshooter: Kev, I will IM asking this as well.. Would you mind giving me some more info? Rings and bases used; ease of cleaning; trigger; bolt; magazine; group size; zero point movement; scope you used--anything like that. Thanks.
View Quote
It origionally came with I want to say Simmons base and rings with a 3x9x32 simmons scope. Its real easy to clean, just pop out the bolt and run a patch through it and oil the bolt. The trigger is completely adjustable if you have the time to sit down and look it over. There are a few tutorials on the net somewhere. The bolt is the standard 2 lug with a knurled handle and a three position safety attached to the end which is real convenient to operate with gloves. Magazine is 3+1 round internal. The fancy models have a detachable box mag I switched over to a Bushnell 4x20x50 banner scope with Luepold bases and rings and with 168 gr Nosler match bullets and pretty selective case prep, I can get, on average, 3/4 MOA all day but I have had the chamber and barrel cryo-accurized and that brought it down from 1.25" @ 100 yards. I have, on a few occassions, got 1/2 or slightly better groups with no wind and [b]extremely[/b] selctive case and bullet prep. With standard hunting bullets, I can get right around MOA which is alot better then you will need for any deer in Michigan but it comes in real handy when the wood chucks/ ground hogs get a little pushy with there boundries. Everything is really nice with the rifle stock but I dont have the money to invest in a top of the line rifle out of the box so I bought a cheap rifle and did a little bit of work to it myself and had a gunsmith friend finish the rest. All in all, I have probably put another 250$ into accurizing it and I am rather impressed with it especially for the price. I've heard from a few people that Howa makes a quality bargain rifle too. Keving67
Top Top