Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 1:31:56 AM EDT
To feel nervous every single time you handle live ammunition?  I've never been able to get over that.  I guess a vivid understanding of what a round of ammo can do to the human body just kind of makes me feel uneasy when handling cartridges.

I would like to not feel that way ... any suggestions on how I can get over it, or keep my mind off of things like that?

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No, it is not normal at all.  See a therapist.
View Quote

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It could get worse over time, better fix it now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, I have to agree. Sort of like getting nervous everytime you play with your pecker in church...no wait, thats differant.

Yea, I find it sort of odd.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yea, I have to agree. Sort of like getting nervous every time you play with your pecker in church...no wait, that's different.

Yea, I find it sort of odd.
View Quote

[lolabove]

To feel nervous every single time you handle live ammunition? I've never been able to get over that. I guess a vivid understanding of what a round of ammo can do to the human body just kind of makes me feel uneasy when handling cartridges.

I would like to not feel that way ... any suggestions on how I can get over it, or keep my mind off of things like that?
View Quote

Yes that is odd, sounds like you are afraid of your Weapons. That is not good and like BigJ491 said this fear and nervousness could get worse with time.
Do you jerk and squint when you are shooting, feel scared for firing the first Mag or two, or are you nervous the whole time you are shooting and loading your Mags?

82nd ABn has a good suggestion try some therapy.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes that is odd, sounds like you are afraid of your Weapons. That is not good and like BigJ491 said this fear and nervousness could get worse with time.
Do you jerk and squint when you are shooting, feel scared for firing the first Mag or two, or are you nervous the whole time you are shooting and loading your Mags?

82nd ABn has a good suggestion try some therapy.

View Quote

No ... it's just with loose ammo.  I don't have a problem with loaded mags, or handling my rifle.

I've never felt that way shooting at all.  Sometimes the first round will wake me up if I'm not all there, but I'm fine after that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I can understand feeling nervous around hand grenades, those friggin things scare the piss outta me, but not loose small arms ammo. There is probably a rational explanation for this, like when you were a wee lad you were caught with a bullet by an adult who promptly began stomping your guts out or something similar.

Is the nervous feeling a feeling of excitement, fear, a feeling that you are doing something you should'nt? Describe it.

I feel like Dr. Frasier Crane right now...

I'm listening.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No ... it's just with loose ammo.  I don't have a problem with loaded mags, or handling my rifle.

I've never felt that way shooting at all.  Sometimes the first round will wake me up if I'm not all there, but I'm fine after that.
View Quote

I don't know what to tell you except like the other guys said might want to see a therapist.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it is normal.  Guns and all things gun related are EVIL.  Of course you should be scared.  It's only a matter of time before one of those bullets goes off and kills Mrs. Jones' entire sunday school class.  Please send all live ammo to me.  I'll dispose of it properly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can understand feeling nervous around hand grenades, those friggin things scare the piss outta me, but not loose small arms ammo. There is probably a rational explanation for this, like when you were a wee lad you were caught with a bullet by an adult who promptly began stomping your guts out or something similar.

Is the nervous feeling a feeling of excitement, fear, a feeling that you are doing something you should'nt? Describe it.

I feel like Dr. Frasier Crane right now...

I'm listening.
View Quote

Well my dad did used to put the smack down when I was a tyke and he'd find me going through his ammo (which wasn't even locked up, just stored out in the hallway closet with his guns).
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, it is normal.  Guns and all things gun related are EVIL.  Of course you should be scared.  It's only a matter of time before one of those bullets goes off and kills Mrs. Jones' entire sunday school class.  Please send all live ammo to me.  I'll dispose of it properly.
View Quote

LOL ... and that's probably exactly what the liberal anti masquerading as a therapist would tell me as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#11]
no, it's not normal. back when I was an 11C, I had to handle 4.2" HE rounds and they didn't make me nervous. Now we're talking about a 32lb shell with 28lbs of very high explosive inside of it.

seek help now.

oh and btw, hand grenades scare me as well...go figure
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Well my dad did used to put the smack down when I was a tyke and he'd find me going through his ammo (which wasn't even locked up, just stored out in the hallway closet with his guns).
View Quote

BAM!

There you are. Now you know the reason why you get nervous with loose ammo. Sub-conscience is a bitch, huh?

I seriously doubt if you will ever get over this nervous feeling because of the way it has been imprinted on your psyche. Just deal with, remember why you feel that way, and move on. You can probably reduce it's impact, but you will never be rid of it.

You owe me for 1 hour of therapy, so the total without the Team AR15.COM member discount (membership has it's priviledges) is 4 USGI 30 rd mags, or 1000 rounds of 5.56mm SA Battle Pack.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:04:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought asking you guys *WAS* seeking help.  I figured if a bunch of guys that have been shooting most of their lives couldn't offer some suggestions, then nobody could.

Therapists are useless, and a waste of money
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:06:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I am not a therapist but I did stay at a Holdiay Inn Express last night.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes I pour out all my M193 on the floor and roll around in it naked...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:22:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Try this:

Everywhere you go, keep a round or two with you - like in your pocket, etc.

You need to face a phobia to defeat a phobia.

Don't go anywhere without a round or two on your person.  Keep it up until its like second nature - like putting your watch on in the morning.

You'll eventually learn that there is absolutely nothing to fear.

This will work.
View Quote

Thank you ... that certainly sounds entirely reasonable and logical.  I'll give that a try.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:45:08 AM EDT
[#20]
[beer]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:57:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also, if you find yourself standing around or idle anywhere, make it a habit to fondle the rounds.

View Quote

You're talking about the ammo right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't go anywhere without a round or two on your person.  
View Quote

you mean that [i]everyone[/i] doen't have a shiney xm193 in their pocket?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Also, if you find yourself standing around or idle anywhere, make it a habit to fondle the rounds.

View Quote

Every time I stick my hands in my pockets, I can feel MY rounds!! I fondle 'em all the time!![snoopy]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#26]
In extreme cases of ammophobia, a daily suppository may be required. The objective here is to become one with that you fear. Contrary to popular belief, it's also the reason why lever action ammunition always has a blunt tip.

cynic
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't go anywhere without a round or two on your person.  
View Quote

you mean that [i]everyone[/i] doen't have a shiney xm193 in their pocket?
View Quote

I always have one in my pocket plus the 35-45 pistol rounds in loaded mags on my person.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top