Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/28/2002 7:59:28 AM EDT
Dog set to sniff out illegal substances on campus By L.C. GREENE, Staff Writer CLAREMONT - Pounce bounced and sniffed his way along a row of Claremont High School lockers, then abruptly sat, pointing his wet Labrador retriever nose toward a metal door. "If he finds a scent, you can't pull him off it,' said the dog's handler Amber Giermann, 23, who tried in vain to divert Pounce's attention. Giermann had planted a small bottle of alcohol in one of the empty lockers and the energetic dog found it quickly. The search earlier this week was only a dress rehearsal for Pounce, who in January will begin randomly visiting the high school in search of contraband such as drugs, alcohol, weapons and explosives. High school administrators hired Pasadena-based Interquest Detection Canines, Pounce's owners, in response to an apparently growing problem with drug and alcohol-related arrests, suspensions and expulsions, Claremont High Principal Carrie Allen said. Last year, the number of such incidents doubled. "And we're on track to double again this year,' Allen said. The number of truancies also increased last year. Though the high school has fewer overall substance abuse problems compared with other secondary schools, studies show a relatively high number of Claremont students may be drinking alcohol. A recent Search Institute survey last year found more than half of Claremont's students attended parties where peers were drinking, 23 percent higher than the national average. The dog is intended not so much as a way to uncover and nab contraband-carrying students, but more as a means to deter students from bringing the materials to the campus, Allen said. "We're not a bust program,' said Interquest owner Scott Edmonds. "The idea is that they don't bring the stuff to school anymore.' Interquest, a national franchise, is servicing more than 1,300 schools across the country, Edmonds said. The list of schools continues to grow while existing clients are sticking with the program. "We sign five to 10 new clients a year and we haven't lost one yet,' Edmonds said. The effectiveness of the service can be measured. Last year, the amount of contraband found on Los Angeles County school campuses dropped by 42 percent, he said. That contraband includes alcohol, a long list of illegal and legal drugs, and weapons. Pounce, the canine with the eclectic nose, can smell it all. Interquest's highly-trained sniffers can find marijuana, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, several kinds of prescription drugs, any kind of alcohol and gunpowder residue from guns, bullets or explosive devices, Giermann said. Once contraband is found, school district administrators are alerted and Interquest's job is done, she said. The school may choose to call a student's parents, impose some sort of discipline or contact the police. Claremont is paying for the service through federal grants, Allen said. State funding is also available, Edmonds said. Pounce and his owner were contracted to make several unannounced visits to the campus over the next year.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:19:45 AM EDT
That sounds familiar! They did the same thing at my highschool in the '70's. Oops!!!! Just gave away my age.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:36:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thinman: That sounds familiar! They did the same thing at my highschool in the '70's. Oops!!!! Just gave away my age.
View Quote
Yup, me too. cept it was in the early 80`s
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:49:51 AM EDT
Need to do what some of those Canadian NORML people did to mess with the US Customs people. They sprayed many random shipping containers with a dilute solution of THC. The drug dogs went absolutly nuts! Get a bottle of Jack, mix it with some water, and spray down all the lockers! I thought most schools didn't even have lockers anymore! Isn't there some crisis about kids today carrying around 50 lbs of books? my .02
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:04:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2002 9:10:36 AM EDT by EODK9]
Wow... A dog that is trained to detect alcohol, drugs, weapons and explosives... Interesting.. Definitely not something I would recommend!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:53:53 AM EDT
They do the same thing at my High School today. They also use the dogs on people's cars. I think it's great I love seing some snobby ass prep getting busted for marijuana or something like that. We had two busted earlier this year for it. They got 6 months of alternative school. Good job dogs!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:02:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2002 11:25:18 AM EDT by rpd_fire]
They used to do that at my school, But after the dog went nuts walking in the door (several attempts) they stopped having the dogs come in. I liked to reload. [:D] This after they suspended me for ten days because I had Tylenol in my coat pocket. Zero tolerance policy you see, No exceptions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:18:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2002 11:18:46 AM EDT by Glock31]
I don't see a problem here. Gets drugs out of schools (well, at least cuts down on some).
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:38:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:10:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thinman: That sounds familiar! They did the same thing at my highschool in the '70's. Oops!!!! Just gave away my age.
View Quote
Same here thinman.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:20:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EladEflow: They do the same thing at my High School today. They also use the dogs on people's cars. I think it's great I love seing some snobby ass prep getting busted for marijuana or something like that. We had two busted earlier this year for it. They got 6 months of alternative school. Good job dogs!
View Quote
So you like seeing the government screw people ? Great attitude for a gunowner [rolleyes].
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:29:21 PM EDT
They do the same thing at my HS. Alcohol hurts a hell of a lot more people than any weed. -DEERSNIPER [sniper]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:37:47 PM EDT
Drug dogs in schools. It's been going on in Texas for a loooong time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:07:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2002 5:53:39 PM EDT by EladEflow]
Originally Posted By Philadelphia_GunMan:
Originally Posted By EladEflow: They do the same thing at my High School today. They also use the dogs on people's cars. I think it's great I love seing some snobby ass prep getting busted for marijuana or something like that. We had two busted earlier this year for it. They got 6 months of alternative school. Good job dogs!
View Quote
So you like seeing the government screw people ? Great attitude for a gunowner [rolleyes].
View Quote
Where in the constitution are we guaranteed the right to keep anything we want in lockers owned by the school board without worrying about them being searched? The goverment isn't "screwing" these people, they are screwing themselves by using illegal substances. 'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:42:32 PM EDT
They did this while I was in high school also.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:15:38 PM EDT
can you say Cayenne pepper? Doge love it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:47:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EladEflow:
View Quote
View Quote
Where in the constitution are we guaranteed the right to keep anything we want in lockers owned by the school board without worrying about them being searched? The goverment isn't "screwing" these people, they are screwing themselves by using illegal substances. 'Nuff said.
View Quote
What I'm getting at is that you are getting off on the fact that the government is making life hard on someone who is not bothering you. Kind of like how the antis get off when we are harrassed for our favorite hobbie.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:02:05 PM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
What I'm getting at is that you are getting off on the fact that the government is making life hard on someone who is not bothering you. Kind of like how the antis get off when we are harrassed for our favorite hobbie.
View Quote
How can you compare legally owning and enjoying firearms to ilegally "enjoying" alcohol, or doing other illegal substances and THEN bringing them to school? Doing drugs is not a hobby it is something for morons to because they are "bored". That is why 90% of highschoolers say they do drugs, because they are bored. Well if you're bored go out and get a healthy hobby like hunting, fishing, competition shooting, or some other sport. So you think we should legalize drugs because they aren't bothering us? We have laws for a reason, I know some of them are ridiculous such as much of the gun legislation but we still have to abide by them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:02:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cousin-Eddie:
View Quote
Yup, me too. cept it was in the early 80`s
View Quote
60s for me. The local PD would phone in a bomb scare so they could go through the lockers. We used to tie Rail road flares together with an alarm clock and battery and they'd really panic. Funny at the time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:23:28 PM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
How can you compare legally owning and enjoying firearms to ilegally "enjoying" alcohol, or doing other illegal substances and THEN bringing them to school? Doing drugs is not a hobby it is something for morons to because they are "bored". That is why 90% of highschoolers say they do drugs, because they are bored. Well if you're bored go out and get a healthy hobby like hunting, fishing, competition shooting, or some other sport. So you think we should legalize drugs because they aren't bothering us? We have laws for a reason, I know some of them are ridiculous such as much of the gun legislation but we still have to abide by them.
View Quote
Don't try changing the arguement on me. Getting off on the government harrassing others who aren't bothering you is the same thing the antis do to us. Regardless of whether drugs are legal or not the people are not hurting you so why do you delight in the government messing with them ?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2002 8:45:53 PM EDT by EladEflow]
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Don't try changing the arguement on me. Getting off on the government harrassing others who aren't bothering you is the same thing the antis do to us. Regardless of whether drugs are legal or not the people are not hurting you so why do you delight in the government messing with them ?
View Quote
Well actually having drugs in my highschool does bother me. Everytime I hear of someone with pot, pills, or anything else like that at our school it just drives me crazy. I just hope they get busted everytime, but thats me. So that's why I enjoy the random locker checks and drug sniffing dog visits. I know how many lives drugs ruin and I don't want to see my peers end up like the thousands of burnouts in our country. It's just like wanting a poacher caught. He's not bothering anybody but you still want to see him get busted. He may just be taking one or two extra deer for the season, it's not going to throw the ecosystem out of balance or destroy the population but you still want to see him busted.
Top Top