Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2002 7:01:27 PM EDT
Just hooked up a new DVD player.I went from the RCA type jack video out to the back of the vcr video in RCA jack.The TV is a cheapo 25 inch that I picked up for the kids play room.It doesnt have any RCA componet jacks,just the coaxil.

Now here is the problem.Some of the movies are dark.Well there fine and then darken up for 10 seconds then fine for 10 seconds.Some of the movies play just fine.What is going on?The movies that play allright always do and the ones that dont always dont.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You might need some kind of analog/digital converter??  I think they sell them at Radio Shack.  I also have an old 19" TV I might have to hook up to satellite TV and was planning to either buy a new TV or get the convertor.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a wild guess, but it may be caused by the copy protection on the videodisk. I think that some movies may be encoded with a signal that drives VCRs "crazy", similar to the old Macrovision copy protection on some videotapes. The video circuit in your VCR may be bothered by it.

Radio Shack is now pushing what is essentially a video modulator that allows you to convert the RCA-level video and audio signals into an ordinary channel 3 or 4 TV signal that your TV can handle. That will allow you to eliminate your VCR from the hookup. Costs about $20.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.I was wondering why some worked great and some looked like crap.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
rf modulator $30 at radio shack and $25 at kmart and walmart bought 2 this past week.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely Macrovision.  It's designed to keep you from taping the movies you buy.  Another copy protection put in place that inconveniences consumers to protect the big money entertainment companies...........
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just hooked up a new DVD player.I went from the RCA type jack video out to the back of the vcr video in RCA jack.The TV is a cheapo 25 inch that I picked up for the kids play room.It doesnt have any RCA componet jacks,just the coaxil.

Now here is the problem.Some of the movies are dark.Well there fine and then darken up for 10 seconds then fine for 10 seconds.Some of the movies play just fine.What is going on?The movies that play allright always do and the ones that dont always dont.
View Quote

The movies that intermittently go dark are probably copy guarded. Macrovision encodes the vertical interval blanking signal so that VCRs' video circuits freak out when you run video through the VCR. If you tried to make a recording, the picture would be constantly rolling.

You're probably better off getting a new TV, most video to RF converters are susceptible to the same problems as the VCR circuits.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have anymore questions regarding this, i'm sure [url]www.vcdhelp.com[/url] can help.  They are the holy grail of DVD ripping, VCR dubbing etc.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes that is Macrovision for you - preventing you from watching your movies since 1989. I think only the composite RCA signal is affected by it; RF, S-Video, or component should be OK.

BTW all VCRs and DVD players sold in the US are now required to have Macrovision. [i]Pre-ban[/i] VCRs made before 1989 do not necessarily have it; they're quite valuable. (I am not making this up!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top