Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2002 5:51:38 PM EDT
Are there any Car-15's out there that were used by the US military with round foregrips?
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:57:20 PM EDT
Yes
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 2:36:41 AM EDT
Do you know where i can get pictures?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 2:42:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:06:47 AM EDT
Never saw a round forgrip, what I did see was a regular M-16 pistol grip mounted on the handguards. Check out Plasters " SOG, a Photo History of the Secret Wars" IIRC, the photos are in the chapter about HALO missions. Now what I have never been able to figure out is how XM-177s were able to fire blanks. I just cant see the rehersals for Son Tay being done and just saying "BANG, BANG, BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG"
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 6:35:52 AM EDT
well im wondering because there is a Black Hawk Down modification coming out for a game, well they have a CAR-15 in the game because Mark Bowden said in the book it was a Car-15, well their car-15 has a round foregrip. I have seen israeli Car-15's with round foregrips but just can't find any others, just the XM-117. Now if the only car-15's used by the US had triangle foregrips, then i have a feeling mark bowden got the gun name wrong because i have seen a picture, a makeshift memorial for the people lost on the oct3 mission, and i see an XM117 type gun with round foregrip(they had the guns with the soldiers, pilots and operator's helmets on the gun) .
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:15:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2002 9:16:18 AM EDT by lucasf]
We have a problem with terminology here. Handguards cover the barrel. On Carbine varients of the M16 they have only seen active service with round handguards, never triangle. Triangle hanguards went away in the 80s for most US Army units, but I did have triangle ones on a M-16 in the National Guard in the late 80s, prior to the unit getting a early version of the M4 Carbine. Forgrips are a verticle grip that attach to the bottom of whatever covers the barrel. IE today its the RAS/RIS, in Vietnam, some SOG troopers attached a M16 pistol grip to the bottom of the Round Handguards for a field expedient verticle foregrip. Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:23:20 AM EDT
hold on, so was mark bowden right? or was he wrong and it was XM117 in use?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:02:28 PM EDT
Some months ago I posted a reply to a guy who had a question about building an XM forgery. One of the e mail responces I goy via e mail was from a guy who sent a pic of a carbine length AR with triangle forend. This is the first and only time I have ever seen anything but a round handguard on a short barrelled AR. Every other "in person" or pic I've ever seen of everything from XM177s, commercial CARs, and all the way to the current M4s has had round, or in ther case of late M4 types, nearly round handguards. I would have asked the guy about where these HGs came from, but his pic also showed a full auto sear pin, and I told him I wouldn't respond unless he sent me a pic of the ATF paperwork. Didn't hear back from him. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:43:45 PM EDT
Drop me an email, I'll give you the phone number of the guy who makes the front hand guard mount for a 16 inch (or shorter) triangular handguard. He will take your M16/SP1 style barrel and install the modified forward handguard mount and modify the trianguar hadguards for about $80 or so. You can buy the modified forward handguard mount and do everything else by yourself. Tweak, the troubleshooting forum MOD has one, it's way cool and way light! [x]
Originally Posted By shamayim: Some months ago I posted a reply to a guy who had a question about building an XM forgery. One of the e mail responces I goy via e mail was from a guy who sent a pic of a carbine length AR with triangle forend. This is the first and only time I have ever seen anything but a round handguard on a short barrelled AR. Every other "in person" or pic I've ever seen of everything from XM177s, commercial CARs, and all the way to the current M4s has had round, or in ther case of late M4 types, nearly round handguards. I would have asked the guy about where these HGs came from, but his pic also showed a full auto sear pin, and I told him I wouldn't respond unless he sent me a pic of the ATF paperwork. Didn't hear back from him. [;D]
View Quote
Top Top