Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2002 2:05:51 PM EDT
who here hunts Coyotes?

Never done it before, so I have a few questions.

What do you do with the animal after you shoot it? Do you eat it? Do you skin it for the hide? What good are they for hunting? OR is it all just to keep the population down?

Not looking to start a flame war, just curious.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]

I hunt coyote  on my farm in north Texas. The main reason is pest control, in that they love to eat the dogs and cats at my mothers house. They also have an impact on the quail and wild turkey population.

Years ago, the hides were worth money, i have sold them for as much as $100 bucks. But not anymore. Most of the ones we find around here are in bad shape with mange.

I,for one would never eat one of the stinky critters... fullclip
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
So do you dig a little hole and kick them in afterwards? Or do ya just leave 'em where they died?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Questions kind of sound like trolling, but here is one guy's opinion.

Sometimes the coyote is left, depending on the condition of the hide, number of fleas, and damage from the bullet.

Coyotes are completely skinned.

No, at least I don't eat them.

Hides can go for 25-75 dollars depending on time of year and condition.

My students make rugs out of them.  Stuff them.

Way too many coyotes in most areas.  Yes it helps keep the population down.  Lately, around here, the wolves have done a fair job of lowering the population in the Greater Yellowstone area.

It's pretty cool to call them in.  Big adrenaline rush.  

Go ahead and flame me, I'm from WY, I don't give a rat's a$$ what you think. You do it your way in your back yard, I'll do it mine in my back yard.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So do you dig a little hole and kick them in afterwards? Or do ya just leave 'em where they died?
View Quote

"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."-Outlaw Josey Whales
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Questions kind of sound like trolling, but here is one guy's opinion.
View Quote

I was trying to avoid sounding like that, I'm not trying to Troll. Don't got the time/patience to Troll.

I was curious, because I was just given 2 Predator Calls, and was thinking about going out and Calling Coyotes. I was just wondering what the heck I should do after I make a few kills.

Does anyone have any advice for the guy that's going to go out and do it for the first time?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Its not as easy as one may think. But there fun as hell to blast, especially at a full run and unloading a mag trying to kill it.

Answer your question, leave them where they die, unless its in a obvious area, then I move out of respect.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I threw the last, and only, 'yote I shot into a creek.  Back in the days when I trapped I did the same to fox.  I ate most of the more palatable 'coons, muskrat, and bobcat.  If a 'possum stepped in my trap, and he wasn't too banged up, I'd just let 'im go.  Coyotes, though common, aren't that much of a nuisance around my stomping grounds due to the fact that alot of the neighbors hunt them with dogs and it keeps their numbers manageable.  They leave the carcasses wherever the dogs leave them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its not as easy as one may think. But there fun as hell to blast, especially at a full run and unloading a mag trying to kill it.

Answer your question, leave them where they die, unless its in a obvious area, then I move out of respect.
View Quote

Are you aware of any season/magazine capacity/restrictions/licensing reqs in Washington??
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."-Outlaw Josey Whales
View Quote

You beat me to it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are you aware of any season/magazine capacity/restrictions/licensing reqs in Washington??
View Quote

no season, requires hunting license, no bag limit (??) your doing good if you can smoke more than 3 in a day
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Try this link to start with. If you are using mouth calls you need to have an idea of what they should sound like. They will have some links.

I use an electric caller with tapes. Too lazy to use very many mouth calls. Sometimes mouth calls are gret for callng critters into a hunting camp late at night tho..[:)]... fullclip

[url]http://www.predatormastersforums.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#12]
First find a place with a lot of coyotes.  That should be easy since there are lots of places completely overrun with them and they kill off all of the other small wild animals.  Make sure that you give a game warden a call if you are going to be hunting at night with a light where there a deer. A red spotlight is really helpful.  An AR would do just fine, make sure that you do not break any magazine restrictions.  Plan on making a clean kill with one shot.  Your night vision may be shot for a while after you fire anyway.  Remember that they carry rabies.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#13]
UHLEK,
 Once you do it you are hooked. I have a ball.
Here on the farm I shoot them whenever I see them. They're hell on newborn calves and our turkey, also rabbit population has taken a pretty big hit from yotes. Summertime I just pitch them into the edge of the woods. Winter I skin them out if their coats are good.
 The above link to Predatormasters.com is a great site for info. Those guys know what they are doing and I learned alot over there.
 There is a guy over there who makes awesome hand (mouth) calls. His name is Rich Cronk. You'll find him on various boards.
 Good luck and don't get discouraged if it takes a few times to get your first one. If you take up calling there is a bit of a nack to it. Once you get it down tho' you will have a blast.

Edited to say: There are some pretty good electronic calls out there and I would suggest starting out with one of those before moving to hand calls.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I happen to have the Washington rules for big game hunting right in front of me.
No mag limit.
No bag limit.
Season open all year, Sept 3 - Mar. 15 if hounds are used.  Some counties can go all year with hounds.
Closed from Sept 15 - Nov 30 in some areas.
Small game license required  It's one of the few things we can use an AR-15 .223 to hunt with.
UHLEK, Eastern or Western Washington?  I've been thinking of taking my first coyote hunt.
View Quote

Seattle Area, and Grays Harbor Co. are the places I know best. You?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I live on the outlying edge of a city in Eastern Washington.  Mostly wheat fields and desert nearby.  Coyotes have a bad habit of coming in from the desert and roaming the housing areas during the night.  They are good at doing away with any pets that are outside at night.

I am not a hunter.  I don't like killing wild animals for the enjoyment of it. I don't get pleasure from causing the death of an animal.  However, a couple of times a year a few of my buddies and myself will go out hunting for the coyotes to keep the population down near the housing developments.  We usually get two or three over the weekend.  They are hard to find.  We have to go out at dawn.  It is mostly luck seeing them.

When we shoot them we leave them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I went 'yote hunting with a guy I work with who lives out in South Bumfvck AZ.  We didn't call them, we just cruised around.  He keeps Longhorns and birds (chickens, pheasant, duck) on his property.  The coyotes are hell on his birds if he's not around to do pest control, and they do attack colts and calves on nearby properties.

He popped one with his Model 70 in .222 Remington Mag.  Hit it just behind the last rib.  It looked like it swallowed a handgrenade.  No value to (what was left of) the pelt.  Left it for the buzzards.  He says he gets about one or two a week when they come sniffing around his property.

I've been considering trying it out using my XP-100 in 7BR.  That should be a bit of a challenge.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Ranchers in Texas may hate coyotes, but farmers should love them!

According to the most recent reports by the Texas Parks and Wildlife, 90% of the diet of coyotes in Texas is....rabbits, carrion, and field mice!

Dig it! [b]Field mice![/b]

I would never shoot a coyote at the Hun Farm.

They keep me too entertained for such shabby treatment!

Eric The(TheyEatCats?EvenMoreReasonToLoveThem!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]

ETH, I thought you went to the farm???[>:/] ... fullclip
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETH, I thought you went to the farm???[>:/] ... fullclip
View Quote

Nope! I decided against it. I'm going to try and go Monday or Tuesday.

I got business to take care of, so it's a lock that I have to go this next week!

And then the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show is next weekend.

Eric The(Booked!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#20]

In the last two years we have lost two dogs and about six cats(they eat mice too!) to coyotes. The remains of numerous wild turkeys are scattered around the farm.
In extreme weather we have even lost newborn calves. We take a few to keep them at bay.... fullclip
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ranchers in Texas may hate coyotes, but farmers should love them!

According to the most recent reports by the Texas Parks and Wildlife, 90% of the diet of coyotes in Texas is....rabbits, carrion, and field mice!

Dig it! [b]Field mice![/b]

I would never shoot a coyote at the Hun Farm.

They keep me too entertained for such shabby treatment!

Eric The(TheyEatCats?EvenMoreReasonToLoveThem!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

The 'critter' most often shot at the Hun Farm is the breeze! [;D]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]

ETH, have you seen the weather forecast for Tuesday? 70% chance rain/wintry mix... Have fun!!!  ...fullclip

Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#23]

The 'critter' most often shot at the Hun Farm is the breeze! [;D]
[/quote]

There is also a lot of sh## shot there too!![:D].. fullclip
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#24]
So I downloaded the Washington State 2002 Hunting Regs, and I can't for the life of me find the magazine capacity for centerfire rifles.

Does anyone know what it is?
I'm thinking it's 5 rnd limit.

If it is 5 rnds, does that mean I'll have to go out and buy a 5 rnd mag, and then go? Or can I use a 30rnd mag and only load it with 5 rnds?

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know about WA, but in AZ the restriction for autoloaders is 5 rounds, and if a game warden finds you with a magazine of greater capacity, you get cited.  Or worse.

Bolt-action rifles, on the other hand, have no such limit, so I can hunt with my Lee-Enfield with 10-round mags.

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I call more now that they (Libs) screwed up the traping here in WA. Pelts are used as trim, mostly in the Aisan market, price veries with market and color.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#28]
No set season in Nevada. They're still considered vermin.
When they're in the prime, we skin them. Any
other time, we leave them lay.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#29]
UHLEK, we have no mag cap limit in this state (WA). and the only time you need a plug in a shotgun here is when you hunting Waterfowl, plug not required for upland birds or grouse. If you doubt this check with your regional office of the F&G Phone # are listed in pamphlet.

Just a word of warning, when you call your first one in you will be hooked, and you might want to have a Cougar tag also or at least a camera
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#30]
In the past two days of deer hunting two of us have seen 11 coyotes on our 300 acres.  One group had 7 in it.  So far this season we have shot 4 of the song dogs mainly to control their population.  I haven't seen a rabbit all season and haven't seen any fawn deer, either.  They have no natural predators left here in the plains to keep them in check and the only thing that limits the population is the food supply.

I shot one this evening at about 25 yards with my .270 and let three others walk since I had deer in my area and didn't want to spook them. This time of year you have all of the young of the year to hunt and I don't think they are as savvy as their parents are.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top