Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2002 6:34:49 PM EDT
Today, I was talking to a friend of mine, who, at times, leans to the left.  I was going on about gun registration and how much that pisses me off.  Anyhow, he proceeds to tell me that "if you're doing nothing wrong, then you have nothing to worry about and if they make it illegal to own firearms, you should turn them in".  

So, i ask him, "so, if one day, the came to your door and said that you no longer have the freedom of speech nor freedom of religion, what would you do?"

He thinks for a minute, and says "probably nothing, it's the law.  In my own house, I would still speak my mind and practice whatever religion I want".  So, I go on to ask "so, you have no problem with them changing the constitution whenever?".

His answer "they can't do that, and they won't do that".

I asked him to look at Chicago, where you can't purchase a firearm.  Comrade daley changed it right then and there.

"That's different" was the reply.

That's the problem.  When someone mentions a 'freedom of speech' issue, everyone jumps to the cause.  However, when they want to change the 2nd, it's "different".

Yep.  That's the problem right there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask your friend for me, and for us, what it's like to live in a free country like America, and be so fortunate, but to NOT BELIEVE IN FREEDOM AND LIBERTY!

God I pray there aren't too many like him... or we're going to go down the drain bigtime.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh?

Don'tca hear that swishing shiwhing sucking sound?

--LS
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
ok i would have said "say they made it so u had cameras and microphones installed in your own home would it be ok then hell it would be the law"
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of the old 80's show "V".

One of the sheeple said "As long as you believe in law and order you are free". The cops, military and republicrats went along willingly with what the aliens were doing. The only ones to stand up were a bunch of "anachro-libertarians" who had an outdated view on liberty.

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]
"if you're doing nothing wrong, then you have nothing to worry about"

Here's the problem with that kind of thinking. It lacks basic linear logic. Those that commit crimes "DON'T" register their guns. Therefore, keeping a registration database of non-criminals serves absolutely no other purpose  than creating a confiscation list of only law abiding citizens. Criminals of course will still have their guns just like in England and Australia after their handgun bans and confiscations.

Criminals have the Constitutional right against self incrimation. 5th Amend. Criminals are not allowed to own guns. Therefore, Criminals are not bound by any law to register such weapons that they are not allowed to own in the first place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top