User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2002 7:08:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk about Damned if you do, damned if you don't

TXLEWIS

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say get back on you medication. Posting patrol cars at schools was a logical precaution to take.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just heard them report that there were 28 MD state trooper patrol cars parked at different schools throughout Montgomery Co. BEFORE the shooting took place today...
View Quote

So much for "Police Protection", eh?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]
"Posting patrol cars at schools was a logical precaution to take."
Why would you say that?  All victims were adults until today.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Ummm, yeah.  And I heard that Bush knew that the sniper shootings were going to happen, but chose not to do anything because the media frenzy following the shooting would distract the public from his niece's drug problems.  

They announced last week that police patrols would be in place at schools in response to parent's concerns about sending their kids to school.  The shooting at the school may have been calculated to further the panic and the feeling that you're not safe anywhere.  It forces people to change the way they live, which is the point of terrorism.  

Take off the tinfoil hat and open the blinds.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Posting patrol cars at schools was a logical precaution to take."
Why would you say that?  All victims were adults until today.
View Quote

Of course it was!  Thus far, the assumption is that his escape route and/or evasion was driving his victim selection.  Therefore, a police presence would act as a deterrent.  The problem is that it didn't.  They (LEOs) knew exactly what everyone else knows, he's still out there.

Of course, this assumes this shooting is linked...
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If you cannot find the logic of posting patrol cars at schools when you have a sniper killing people at random you need to pull you head out of the sand or where ever it is.

Considering last week when those shootings took place they locked down the schools posting patrol cars was a logical and reasonable and predictable precaution.

Problem is you cannot protect people from this kind of maniac, the patrol cars are there to make people who do not know any better feel better.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I would say they did the right thing by posting a trooper at the schools.  

I am curious though, if the trooper was at the school, why did he not see/hear the shooter?

Two shots = 1 shot to be alerted and begin localizing the sound origin.  Second shot = origin of sound located.  Single shots are hard to localize, but two?

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#9]
So the logical solution would be to arm and train the kids to shoot back. Right? The cops can't be everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#10]
There is no confirmation of 2 shots just speculation at this point. They probably did here the shots, looks like the police were questioning several kids about where the shots came from.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
This shooting was in PG county , next to Montgomery county. The troppers are all in montgomery.

I think all the talk of protecting the school may of given this guy the idea of his next target.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Confirmed now kid only shot one time.

Fox News expert stated these shooting probably done with bolt-action rifle and telescopic sight, he said semi-auto not likely.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I heard a rumor that they found a casing in the VA shooting and determined it to be from a bolt action (extractor marks I assume)
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Todays shooting was in Prince George co. the other shootings were in Montgomery co,where the state police were posted.Until this morning  authorities had no reason to post police outside of  Montgomery co.Also lets be realistic  that there is going to be a hell of alot of copy cat opportunities.This may be one of them.The other shootings were all adults going about their daily routine.Today a child agoing to school.Changes the M.O. of the original sniper.And why the hell do the officials keep saying that it's a .223 round from an AR15 but have shown what looks like a Winchester or Remington hunting rifle complete with scope?As shooters we know longer barrel gives a more accurate shot.Don't have a clue who it is, where he's from,where he will strike next.No witnesses no sightings no idea which weapon is his choice.Could be the same guy or could be a copycat.Sounds like the people in Maryland are experiencing something a bit similar to the Mideast.Maybe Osama has gotten his wish to change our way of life.We can't even assume that people living minutes away from our nations capital can go on living their daily routine life.We can no longer go through life as cattle.
Sorry for the rant but it all bears a little thought.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So the logical solution would be to arm and train the kids to shoot back. Right? The cops can't be everywhere.
View Quote

Yeah...pull that one off in a "drug free, Gun free" school zone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Todays shooting was in Prince George co. the other shootings were in Montgomery co,
View Quote

There was a shooting in Fredricksburg VA that was linked by forensics to the others.  The school shooting this morning has not been linked to anything at this point, the kid is still in surgery at this point.  Shootings in this area are not unheard of, doesn't mean they are related to the "sniper".  I haven't heard of them getting any cases from any of the scenes only bullet fragments.  If they don't have any cases and are going on mangled .223 bullet fragments then it could be any kind of rifle or even a handgun or two.

And i'll break my long standing tradition at this point and say that anyone who says that cops knew that kids were going to be targeted and didn't tell anyone is probably stupid and certainly an asshole.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And i'll break my long standing tradition at this point and say that anyone who says that cops knew that kids were going to be targeted and didn't tell anyone is probably stupid and certainly an asshole.  
View Quote

I agree. Somebody has their tin foil hat on too tight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top