Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2002 4:51:21 AM EDT
I work for a company that point-blank states that carrying a weapon on the job will get you fired. Also, I live in Florida, where CCW is allowed but open carry is not.

SO. My questions are to all you CCW guys out there, particularly those who live in hot climates.

1) How do you CCW on a regular basis in a hot climate without having to wear a jacket?

2) Where on your body do you CCW? I've tried the inside-the-fron-of-your-pants-spandex-type holsters, but they are a bear to sit down with, no matter how small the gun is (I'm a tad overweight, not that I think it would make a difference).

3) Does anyone CCW in a work environment? If so, how, and does it threaten your job?

4) Elsewhere on this board someone said (in response to the Al-Qaeda training videos) that the solution is to CCW, extra mag, and a knife. I'd like to be able to carry a leatherman and a (small) flashlight as well. Any ideas on how to carry all this without looking like Batman?

Remember, I'm primarily concerned with places where use of a jacket is pretty darn difficult.

Also, I work in a professional environment, so wearing a shirt that's not tucked in isn't much of an option at the office.

Maybe I'm asking the impossible, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Bianchi fanny pack, looks like a regular pack, but just a pull on the velcro and I have my gun at the ready. I carry a .380 bda in it and there is no footprint. As for work, I'm in the same boat as you, so I don't ccw, if I lost my job i would not be able to buy anymore guns !!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1) How do you CCW on a regular basis in a hot climate without having to wear a jacket?
View Quote

Fanny pack or sub compact pistols like the KelTecP32/P11 or a Bersa 380 or Glock 26

Quoted:
2) Where on your body do you CCW? I've tried the inside-the-fron-of-your-pants-spandex-type holsters, but they are a bear to sit down with, no matter how small the gun is (I'm a tad overweight, not that I think it would make a difference).
View Quote

Small of the back

Quoted:
3) Does anyone CCW in a work environment? If so, how, and does it threaten your job?
View Quote

My company does not have the required sign posted in the lobby restricting CCW. Also there is not verbage in our company handbook strictly prohibiting firearms. So I would guess no

Quoted:
4) Elsewhere on this board someone said (in response to the Al-Qaeda training videos) that the solution is to CCW, extra mag, and a knife. I'd like to be able to carry a leatherman and a (small) flashlight as well. Any ideas on how to carry all this without looking like Batman?
View Quote

Cargo pants. Lots of pockets.

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately, I don't. But I always at least have one in the car.

View Quote

My discreet setup is a Kahr P9 in a high ride Galco hip OWB holster. An average length polo shirt not tucked in will do the trick.

View Quote

I work in a gun free zone. Well, except for criminals who don't give a rip about my employers silly little rules. SSHhhhhhhh - I keep it in my glove compartment.

You may also wish to consider keeping it in your desk, or briefcase, if you have one.

[b]Better to be fired by one, than carried by six.[/b]

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Oh, and another thing. I'd love to hear ideas for CCW in a car. Sitting on my weapon strikes me as a good way not to be able to get to it when you need it. I carry mine in the center armrest, but that's only marginally better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[b]Better to be fired by one, than carried by six.[/b]
View Quote

Heh heh! Good one!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest using a pocket or ankle holster.  Not ideal, but you can't really use a fanny pack in a professional environment.  Sub-compact Glock on the ankle, or a lightweight .38 snubby revolver for the pocket.  There are some small .380s and 9mms out there that will also be fine in a pocket.

I also work in a company that says you will be fired for carrying a weapon (this includes knives!!).  Good luck, and let me know what you end up doing...I amy follow suit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh, and another thing. I'd love to hear ideas for CCW in a car. Sitting on my weapon strikes me as a good way not to be able to get to it when you need it. I carry mine in the center armrest, but that's only marginally better.
View Quote

I wedge a holster in between the driver's seat and the console.  I did this with a Galco Royal Guard because of the width.  Another thing you can do is find a somewhat hidden place to attach one of those cheap Uncle Mike's nylon holsers.  They don't require any break-in either.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
USNA91 Check out these holsters. I don't have one but I will be ordering one. They apear to be very concealable even if you are just wearing a polo shirt.

[url]www.politesociety.com/itmidx1.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top