Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2002 1:54:45 PM EDT
I just had my garage vinyl-sided and it looked so nice that I decided to recondition some of the old window sashes.  I removed the old glazing where it was deteriorated and put some new stuff on.

My question is:
[u]When the hell does this stuff harden?[/u]  It's still as soft and mushy as when I applied it over 24 hours ago.  The can says that you can paint it "after it skins over", but gives no indication of curing time.  Well, I was hoping to paint the sashes this weekend, but at the rate this crap is drying, it'll be next spring. [:(!]

[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/glaze.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't wait for it to harden. The idea is for it to remain flexable. Lets it expand and contract with the weather. When it is not sticky to the touch, paint it.... fullclip
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]

It'll harden in a month..  you can paint it after a few days..  dont push to hard with yur brush..[;)]

looks like you might smooth it out a little better with your knife..  

Make sure you prime it with oil base exterior primer.. if not, it will mildew..

good luck..  
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
looks like you might smooth it out a little better with your knife..
View Quote

Actually, I was going to smooth it out with some sandpaper before I painted it.

It's been so long since I've glazed a window, I must've been thinking that it hardens like plaster or mortar.  Geez.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top