Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/14/2002 6:04:49 AM EDT
I have a high speed internet connection. It works great unless I set the browser security settings the way I want them. If I do that I might as well be on a 1200 baud modem. It is very slow. Is there a way to make my browser as secure as I want it and still browse at acceptable speeds? I do have a router and firewall software but am tired of having to reformat my hard drive every 4 to 6 months because my virus software has somehow become disabled. Among other things. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:28:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Teltech: Any suggestions would be appreciated.
View Quote
/me suggests telling us what browser you're using first :) PS As if I didn't know ;)
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:38:33 AM EDT
What kind of security settings are you wanting that is causing your connection to slow down? the_reject
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:41:45 AM EDT
Kar98, maybe I have my tinfoil hat on too tight, but, I want absolutely zero intrusion into my computer or information sent from my computer that I don't have total control of. Call me obsessive. I at least want to cut it to a minimum. So I don't want to run any scripting, no cookies, no active X controls etc. I tried turning them all off. Then to prompt, but I was constantly having to allow or disallow scripting or cookies. I wouldn't mind formatting my hard drive if it wasn't that I use my computer for other things besides browsing. I was thinking about a second computer but can't do it right now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:48:50 AM EDT
I'm using Explorer
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:10:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 7:12:04 AM EDT by Grock]
Go to [url]www.zonealarm.com[/url] and get the [b]FREE[/b] zonealarm firewall. And leave your browser on the default. [8D] editad do to speeling difikalty
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:16:23 AM EDT
OK, with Internet Explorer 6 (plus all the updates from the Windows Update site) I can turn off all cookies (and turn them on for certain sites only, if I feel like it), turn off all active x and scripting crap, doesn't seem to slow down browsing as such. In short, I've set it to the highest safety mode,
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:25:46 AM EDT
Thanks, I'll try upgrading. I'm using 5.0 now.
Top Top