Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/19/2002 2:55:18 PM EDT
I have a 3 year old compaq model 7935. It has been trouble free. I run disc cleanup, scan disk, and defrag weekly. Went to defrag the other day, and it would only run to 42%. Tried several times since then. Stops at 42%. I have run adaware, and have zone alarm and norton antivirus. I exit all unused programs before running my maintenence. Running win. 98 SE. Whats up?? Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:03:10 PM EDT
Are you running the defrag on bootup? Try to run it before windows actually loads up. I ran into a problem several years ago where Windowz was constantly trying to do diskwrites while it was degragging so my Disk Degfrag would constantly start all over... I had to switch defragmenting tools. Ben
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:18:53 PM EDT
Could also try it in safe mode.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:33:20 PM EDT
Run msconfig, disabled the start-up applications, reboot, and try again. That usually works for me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:05:30 PM EDT
1. Turn your screensaver off. 2. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL. When the task manager appears, select a program that is [b]NOT[/b] called "explorer" or "systray" and choose "End Task". 3. Repeat step 2 until only the items explorer and systray appear on the list. 4. Defrag your machine. 5. Reboot. Some godforsaken TSR feels the need to take a memory data dump to your disk. This method should close all of them down, and then a reboot would allow them to be restored. the_reject
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:07:59 PM EDT
Reboot in safe mode and run it there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:34:01 PM EDT
Thanks guys. Restarted in safe mode. Explorer only program running. Ran defrag, got to 41% and stopped. Forgot to say, it just stops at 41%. No "drive contents changing" message. Just stops. CPU kinda sounds like it's still de- fragging, but have let it go an hour with no results. System does not freeze or anything. Is there any way to defrag in MS-DOS? Thanks..
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:37:51 PM EDT
Man you might have some bad sectors on your disk... If that is the case then you are looking at total failure within a year, usually. It happens like this, Bad sector means magnetic domains out of alignment and not alignable. This leads to a gradual disalignment of all domains and eventual total disk failure. run CHKDSK from dos prompt. If it finds or marks any bad sectors on the disk drive that could be the problem.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:38:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:43:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Benjamin0001: Man you might have some bad sectors on your disk... If that is the case then you are looking at total failure within a year, usually. It happens like this, Bad sector means magnetic domains out of alignment and not alignable. This leads to a gradual disalignment of all domains and eventual total disk failure. run CHKDSK from dos prompt. If it finds or marks any bad sectors on the disk drive that could be the problem.
View Quote
This sounds like an idea, don't know how to run ckdsc in dos, can you instruct, thanks....
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2002 7:46:55 PM EDT by Benjamin0001]
c:\\>chkdsk c: I think that will work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:45:14 PM EDT
[url=http://www.computerhope.com/software/defrag.htm]MS-DOS DEFRAG[/url] Defrag was first available in MS-DOS 6.0 and was available ever sense. If you are running MS-DOS 6.0+ and would like to run defrag follow the following steps: If you are in Windows 3.x click File and then Exit to get to the MS-DOS prompt. From MS-DOS type CD\DOS and press enter. From the C:\DOS> type defrag and press enter which should begin running defrag on the computer. Finally some computer manufactures have change the installation directory of where defrag is located if you are unable to run defrag from DOS directory go to the WINDOWS directory by typing CD\WINDOWS.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:09:38 PM EDT
THANKS GUYS, RAN DEFRAG FROM MSDOS, AND IT WORKED!........
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:29:21 PM EDT
Glad you got it done. For the future, I've had this problem more than once and eventually it made it all the way - I just went to sleep and it was done in the morning. In my case, the drive is pretty well packed and I'm stuck with that for now. If you have 20% or more free it should be done in an hour or two, as long as you do it regularly. If it gets really fragmented that restart issue will arise (with Win98 anyway), so do it often.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:40:40 PM EDT
Next time, disable or terminate ALL programs that access the hard disk (afterall, they are "not in use" while you are defragging), including virus protection. If the disk content changes, the defrag program will restart, and just loop....
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:16:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Energizer: Next time, disable or terminate ALL programs that access the hard disk (afterall, they are "not in use" while you are defragging), including virus protection. If the disk content changes, the defrag program will restart, and just loop....
View Quote
Already do that, thanks. When I was finally sucessful, it still got "stuck" at 42%. I just left it for a while, came back and it was done....
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:36:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:39:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thedave1164: run defrag again from W98 again if you defragged with DOS, it may not have correctly defragged the FAT32 partition. do it for the children[:D]
View Quote
Good point... You are assuming he converted to FAT32... hehe
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:41:52 AM EDT
When I defrag my Sony, I have to termintate everything in memory since something keeps accessing the hard drive. I wish that the defrag program would tell us which program(s) keep accesssing the hard disk, or be smart enough to freeze all other writes while it is in use...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:08:20 AM EDT
P.S. Don't forget to turn off your power management (suspend, spin down disks, etc).
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:53:50 AM EDT
You know what, maybe you oughta run scandisk to see if there is something wrong with the HD first. Might have to wait a while (takes half a day for it to run on my box, friggin slow) and might have to monitor it since if it has to restart 10 times I think, it'll give you a dumb message do you still want it to run (really stupid). Run it in safe mode.
Top Top