Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2001 6:19:11 AM EDT
I just got the certificate making it offical.

I was Honorably Discharged from the Army as of 1 March 2001.

For the 1st time since 1984, I have no military status.  It's funny I find that unsettling, even though I've been inactive reserve since late 95.

On the bright side I have a nice new certificate for my office wall.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Miss the camraderie but not the military/governmental bullshit
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all of you that have served!

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine has hung on the wall long enough it has turned yellow.
Conratulations....if that is appropriate considering it is sort of a "bummer" for you.
Everyone should serve at least a short "hitch" in my less than humble opinion.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the club. I have been a member since 1993. I am in the Guard though. Its not quite the same though. Actually, its better I think. The good people and toys, but a little less Army BS. You may want to check into it. Talkting about certificates... check this out. How many of you got one of these. We all about choked laughing when we saw who it was signed by, then the jokes started. You know.."I'm gonna shellac it to the lid of my cigar humidor" and  such.

[img]http://milpubs.com/DEF/bscert.gif[/img]

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It is indeed a bit of a bummer to me.

The problem is the BS fades and I only remember the fun of blowing crap up and hanging out with the kind of guys you'd follow (or lead) to hell and back.

If I think about it, I can take myself back to remember the BS, Politics and Apple Polishing that lead me to sign out of the Active Reserve back in '96, but who the hell wants to remember that part.

Finally, I agree with the sentiment Once a Soldier, Always a Soldier.  I served my country and was proud to do it.  Nobody will ever take that from me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You never realize how good you had it while in...but ...you finally realize how good it is to be out (Infantry).
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Every day, I think about going back.  There are two things that keep me from doing this.
1.  I know what I miss most is the people I served with, especially A CO 5/87 INF, the Jaguars, and they no longer exist,
and
2.  My wife.  She would kill me!
I am proud I served, and thank God it straightened me up the way it did.  I feel everyone should serve, just for the life experiences you gain.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dr jarhead:
Miss the camraderie but not the military/governmental bullshit
View Quote

In a nutshell, that pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]

2.  My wife.  She would kill me!
I am proud I served, and thank God it straightened me up the way it did.  I feel everyone should serve, just for the life experiences you gain.
View Quote

I agree. I think every person in the US should have to serve right out of high school. I don't care if its the military, the pece corps, or forrest service if they like. Let them choose. But every kid should give back to the country. Then they can have college free or something.

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Dittos.
Former Cavalry Trooper
I finished my 'hitch' in '97.

I actually tried enlisting in the Air Force in '98, but they will not take prior service Army. Only way was to go Para-Rescue and hope you completed the training. If you failed, you could be assigned as a mess cook.

That's one hell of a gamble for someone who can't swim very well(me). You either become a member of the Air Force's Elite, or a cook. I didn't want to chance the odds. SCOUTS OUT!  
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#15]
When the hell do you get the certificate? My ETS was DEC 1997 and my IRR status ended January 2001?
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Good God you all are making me feel old!!
Discharge dated December 15, 1978.  I don't think some of you were even born then!  Congrats Hipower.  Even after all this time I still miss it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
You bunch of young bucks.I got my firest Honorabl in 77, that was Army then i went Air Force got my second honorabl discharge.
You guys make me feal old.  Congrats
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#19]
When I got out of the Army back in 1988 I was in the IRR for a while, and was told you could stay in there and even put in for temporary active duty assignments. After a couple months I joined the National Guard, but didn't care too much for the local unit here. When I got out of there, I asked about inactive guard to keep my rank, but they didn't want to keep paperwork on inactive people. (Which is ironic, since just months later inactives were being called up to unload planes and ships in Saudi Arabia.) I even wrote letters to my commanding officer and some IRR headquarters in Missouri, asking to be transferred back to the IRR. No response from either.

I hated to break that connection completely.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I got out of active in 1973. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything (well, nearly anything), but I sure as hell wouldn't do it again.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I got out of active in 1973. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything (well, nearly anything), but I sure as hell wouldn't do it again.
View Quote

Got that right Foxtrot! Those were the days though, weren't they?
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I hated the Navy once I got to the fleet after 2 years plus of nuclear power school, but had to go through the whole enlistment if I wanted an honorable and all that.  2192 days - that includes the 2 leap years I thought was an evil trick pulled by the ocean gods.

I skipped work that last week processing out for real and BS reasons, and when I signed that mystical DD214 it was like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.  So anticlimatical.  That was it, just a sig.  

All I had to do was to catch a ride, get on a plane to Moscow, ID, and start school in 3 days.  Culture shock big time.      
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally got my Honorable in '97.  Proud that I served and in the Infantry at that.  You can tell by my username what badge I'm most proud of.  Any of you guys get a "Cold War Recognition Certificate"?  It's BS that you have to apply for the dang thing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, Am I feelin old!  I was turinin' and Burning on a Navy P-3 with on top time on Sov. Deltas, Yankees, Echo's, Novembers and the Kiev task force the day they let the hostages out of Iran.  The S*** I've endured for God and Country...If you've ever done S.E.R.E. school in SoCal you know what it's about... the next step closer to hell is SEAL/BUDS.

I also agree, that directly out of high school (or if you drop out , don't pass go, proceed directly to boot camp)every male should do 2 years Active Duty as they do in Sweden.  Then go ahead and go to college or go to work.  For sure you will have gotten the opportunity to grow up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats to you young troop. I have a number of those Honerable DD214's myself. Feb73-Nov80 US Army. April 83- Aug 92 , CA Army NG. 54E. If anything I got a chance to see a lot of the world at the expense of others, Looking back I would have done my 20 RA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Second best thing that I ever done was sign up for the USMC.  First best thing was getting out.  Miss all the good people but not the military bs.  I believe, although, that every able body male should have to do some service in one of the branches.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I believe EVERYONE, men and women, should serve.  It's not just guys that are messed up at that age.  I have noticed a different degree of maturity in military personnel.  Everyone I have met since getting out adds at least 5 years to my age, just based on the way I act.  Everyone should have this advantage.
Besides, there are school benefits to be earned.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#31]
US Army 1983-1986 IRR till 89.  Loved being a soldier hated the Army.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#32]
WTF!?!
I ETS'ed on 21 March 1991 & STILL have not received any Honorable Discharge certificate!!
I even applied for it back in 1995 or 1996.
How do I get mine?

Paul
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Real,

I'll check the paperwork when I get home and see if I can find you a contact.

I was sent orders to go take a physical if I wanted to remain in the IRR.  I left the Reserves as a Infantry Captain and am now in the zone of consideration for promoton for the 2nd time.  I figured there was little chance of that being that I haven't done a dang thing in close to 5 years.

So rather than get bumped out for being passed over 3 times, I just signed the back of the form indicating I had completed my obligatory service and wished to end my Voluntary Indefinite status.

One thing I noticed here is the sentiment that all should serve.  I understand the thoughts behind it, but disagree that service should be mandatory.  The fact that you volunteered to defend your country is what makes you differnt that the average joe.  To make service mandatory, would destroy that and those that would have volunteered would have to serve along side the milktoasts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top