Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 6:16:29 PM EDT
It is my understanding that an assault weapon is any weapon that can fire more than one round with a single pull of the trigger. So if this is true my AR's would not be considered an AW and neither would any other semi auto made, am I correct?
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
A light weight, select fire weapon firing an intermediate strength round. You are correct. Except that lawyers make their own definitions as it suits them. So the legal def may conflict with the real world.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Assault is an action, not an object.

Now that that is out of the way, IIRC an “assault weapon” is one that has more than two “evil” features. Bayo lug, pistol grip, detachable magazine, folding stock (not sure about the stock though), and can hold more than 10 rounds.

Can anyone corroborate this?
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Johnson, you are correct, and therefore may disregard any legislation regarding your rifle(s).

If anyone gives you any shit, tell them I told you so.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#4]
bayonet lug, 10+rd detachable mags., folding stock, flash suppressor, select fire, pistol grip.  if it has more than 3 of these it is a assualt rifle
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Evil features have nothing to do with the performance of the gun, to me they are just cosmetic, except the flash hider which does work but other than that the only thing that should classify it as an AW is the ability to shoot it on rock and roll, not the bayo lug, col. stock flash hider, etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Markm, i'll remember that you said it's ok, LOL. I can disreguard all legislation anyway because I own nothing but preban evil AW's. I guess I can call my vehicle an AV if I have reclining seats and a 30 gallon gas tank.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem is, is that the masses which are unfamiliar with firearms...and quite a few of the ones who are familiar, will classify an assault rifle as anything that has a magazine which protrudes conspiculously below the rest of the rifle.  And looks really scary.

Basically, they really don't know what an assault rifle is, but they know one when they see one.  This is the kind of subjectivity we are up against.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Assault is an action, not an object.

Now that that is out of the way, IIRC an “assault weapon” is one that has more than two “evil” features. Bayo lug, pistol grip, detachable magazine, folding stock (not sure about the stock though), and can hold more than 10 rounds.

Can anyone corroborate this?
View Quote

Generally that is the definition, here in the PRK, they even have a few shotguns. But basically it is whatever the legislature desiganates it to be, it could be a thumbhole stock. Or they can just designate as a AW, and put it on the list, and it is an AW.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#9]
WE ALL KNOW THAT THE TERM "ASSAULT WEAPON" IS A FEABLE ATTEMPT TO BLAME AN OBJECT FOR THE ACTIONS OF HUMAN. BUT LEGALLY SPEAKING THIS IS WHAT I HAVE COME TO UNDERSTAND.  AN "ILLEGAL" ASSAULT WEAPON IS ANY FIREARM THAT IS BUILT AFTER THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN THAT HAS THREE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING; FLASH SUPRESSOR, DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, FOLDING OR COLLAPSABLE STOCK, BAYONET LUG, & A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BELOW THE STOCK. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY OTHER DEFINITIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#11]
They have the assault weapon covered so I'll give you the breakdown of an assault rifle. I understand an assault rifle to be anything capable of selective fire, and can be used by a single man.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually the term used by BATF is a new one, [b]semi automatic assault weapon[/b].

While it may prove to be an oxymoron given the orginal definition of assault weapon, that didn't seem to stop them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually the term used by BATF is a new one, [b]semi automatic assault weapon[/b].

While it may prove to be an oxymoron given the orginal definition of assault weapon, that didn't seem to stop them.
View Quote

from
[url]www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1951-2002May23.html[/url]

Based on forensic evidence subsequently gathered from the scene, officials with the U.S. Special Operations Command concluded that Roberts survived the short fall, likely activated an infrared strobe light and engaged the enemy with his M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon, a light machine gun known as a SAW.
View Quote

semi automatic assault weapon = SAW  or
...Squad Automatic Weapon, a light machine gun known as a SAW.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Idiots at Brady
[url=http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/gunlaws/awb.asp]brady campaign bullshit[/url] right too:

[b]A pistol grip[/b] on a rifle or shotgun, which facilitates firing from the hip, allowing the shooter to spray-fire the weapon. A pistol grip also helps the shooter stabilize the firearm during rapid fire and makes it easier to shoot assault rifles one-handed.

[b]A barrel shroud[/b], which is designed to cool the barrel so the firearm can shoot many rounds in rapid succession without overheating. It also allows the shooter to grasp the barrel area to stabilize the weapon, without incurring serious burns, during rapid fire.

[b]A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor[/b], which serves no useful sporting purpose. The flash suppressor allows the shooter to remain concealed when shooting at night, an advantage in combat but unnecessary for hunting or sporting purposes. In addition, the flash suppressor is useful for providing stability during rapid fire, helping the shooter maintain control of the firearm.
View Quote
View Quote

Man, since a pistol grip facilitates firing from the hip, I wanna see somebody try that with a FAL on full auto.

Uh, doesn't the stock on my Winchester .30-06, and the handguards do the same thing as a "barrel shroud".

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a flash suppressor only keep the shooter from being blinded by the flash?

God I hate stupid people with websites.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

from

Based on forensic evidence subsequently gathered from the scene, officials with the U.S. Special Operations Command concluded that Roberts survived the short fall, likely activated an infrared strobe light and engaged the enemy with his M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon, a light machine gun known as a SAW.
View Quote

View Quote

Would actually be SAAW, as in we all SAAW an error in your liberal thought process.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]
"Assault weapons... are a new topic.  The weapons' menacing looks,  coupled
with the public's confusion over fully-automatic machine  guns versus
semi-automatic assault weapons -- anything that looks  like a machine gun is
assumed to be a machine gun -- can only  increase the chance of public
support for restrictions on these  weapons." --Josh Sugarmann (executive director of the Violence Policy Center): "Assault
Weapons and Accessories in America" (Washington D.C. Education Fund to End
Handgun Violence and New Right Watch) September 1988, p. 26)

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

from

View Quote

View Quote

Would actually be SAAW, as in we all SAAW an error in your liberal thought process.
View Quote

Sorry my mistake. Can't type, forgot the hyphen
It should read:
"semi-automatic assault weapon = SAW"
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#18]
This is an assault rifle:
[img]http://www.sturmgewehr.com/sturmgewehr.jpg[/img]

Since its creation there have been no other assault rifles. All other rifles are select fire carbines, rifles, etc. There is only one assault rifle, the MP44/STG44.

As for assault weapons, its whatever you want(or the media for that matter), the first "assault weapon" was originally marked as a submachine gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#19]
My car.
My dog.
ME with no caffine!!

[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top