Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2002 11:55:53 AM EDT
I'm talking about the drill/driver 18v for a hundred bucks. Is it worth it? Anybody have experience with Ryobi tools? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a ryobi gas weed whacker, no complaints. I just bought a B&D Firestorm 18V, they are offering a 20.00 rebate till June I think. It's a great drill, it not a dewalt , but it was not 250.00 either. Unless you are a contractor a dewalt is overkill for the homehandy man. The 18V firestorm cost me 89.00 after rebate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks roger
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
in the case of power tools; good for the $$.
Better than Skil or B&D
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Their cordless drills are about the best you're going to find, you won't be sorry. I've pretty much switched to nothing but Ryobi and Milwaukee tools for a decade or two (Blackhawk & Pre-Ridco Ridgids are great where applicable - IF you can find them).

DeWalt makes rugged, reliable, and accurate tools too (although they're getting weird lately).
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Their cordless drills are about the best you're going to find, you won't be sorry. I've pretty much switched to nothing but Ryobi and Milwaukee tools for a decade or two (Blackhawk & Pre-Ridco Ridgids are great where applicable - IF you can find them).

DeWalt makes rugged, reliable, and accurate tools too (although they're getting weird lately).
View Quote

I have alot of RIGID woodworking & shop tools. They are my 2nd choice when I can't afford Milwaukee or DeFault.

I like Makita coldless drills.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My cousin is in construction and they were buyin a new dewalt drill about every week. That was normal and acceptable to them. He bought one of the Ryobi 18v and they have had it for more than 6 months now!! I would and have bought the Ryobi.

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh-yeah,
DON'T overlook the coveted Makita drills! They're great!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Ryobi 9.6v cordless drill that has done fine service for about 5 years now (the batteries are going south now).

I also have a Ryobi weed wacker and mototool.

IMO, Ryobi is a good deal for the money, although they are generally not top quality.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#9]
You can get an Dewalt 18v drill with 2 batteries and a case for $135 from Tool King.

[url]http://www.toolking.com/shop/view.asp?ID=223[/url]

It's factory reconditioned but I've bought several reconditioned tools from them and had no problems.  It has a one year Dewalt warranty, just in case.

Oh yeah, free shipping too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Best to worst..IMO...   cosumer reports is probably close to this too...

Milwaukee
Porter cable                      

Makita
Ryobie

Dewalt
Delta
Hitachi

Black and Decker
Craftsman

Dewalt is made by Black and Decker....  It's just that, a glorified Black and Decker...

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a thread about Ryobi from September.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=54365[/url]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

...snip...

Dewalt is made by Black and Decker....  It's just that, a glorified Black and Decker...

View Quote

Yes, Dewalt is owned by B&D, but the Dewalt tools I've used and/or owned are far from being glorified B&D models.

I'm a cabinetmaker and I use my tools daily to make a living.  I don't just shine them up and hang them on the pegboard in the garage to look pretty.  

I've got a Dewalt biscuit joiner that has taken several tumbles off my bench in the five or six years I've had it.  Nothing broken and still accurate.  Same thing with my Dewalt jigsaw.

I've also got a Dewalt laminate router that has given me no problems since I've owned it.  I don't like the height adjustment on it, but since I mainly use it to trim laminate edges and scribe countertops to walls, it's no big deal.

I had a Dewalt drill/driver that I was happy with until somebody ripped it off at a job site.

I also have Makita and Porter-Cable tools.  I've broken two different bases on my Makita 3 hp plunge router.  Not from abuse; the bases are made from crappy pot metal.  Two of my drills are Makitas and they've given me good service.  I've also got a couple of Porter-Cable routers and those things are tough and dependable.

Why is Hitachi so far down on your list?  I had a Hitachi sliding miter saw a few years ago (until it was stolen, too) that was great.  I replaced it with a Makita that has so much flex in the slide that it's useless for precision trim work.  I've also used a planer/jointer and a resaw bandsaw, both made by Hitachi and both were great tools.

I like Milwaukee drills and, of course, the Sawz-all.  I don't know much about their other tools.

Delta used to be good, but they've really gone downhill since the Rockwell days.

I agree that Craftsman power tools are the bottom of the barrel.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]rainman[/b], I've had that same 18 volt $99.95 Home Depot special for about 6 months now, and really like it. Haven't put a lot of use or abuse on it, but it seems to be very well screwed together. It could be a little smaller for some jobs — The extra length of the 2-speed gearbox makes getting in tight corners a tad difficult sometimes.

I've had very good luck with an earlier corded Ryobi drill/driver, and bought this one based on the apparent value — seems to be much better put together than anything else you can get for the same money. However, Ryobi's top product line stops just about where Makita's,  DeWalt's and Milwaukee's start, so either of those other three brands are probably better yet — if you want to pay the extra for them.

Incidentally, Ryobi just recently bought out Homelite (which was briefly owned by John Deere). Not sure how this will affect their gas-powered product line.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
One good power tool I've had experience with is the Milwaukee circular saw. We had one at a company where I used to work, which was purchased specifically for cutting [b]ALUMINUM[/b].

We used to rip 12 foot long sheets of 3/4" thick inch 6061 aluminum into strips about 12 inches wide, then stack those 2 layers thick and cut them into short rectangles. We also rough-cut irregular "boomerang" shapes out of 3/8" plate, plunging straight downward into the center of the sheet. OSHA would've had a field day if they saw us in action.

When new, the Milwaukee gave off a bad "overheating" smell. But I showed it no mercy (It wasn't MY saw!) and it was still going strong 5 years later when I switched jobs. Everybody used to hate that sawing, except me. I'd put on goggles, dust mask and double hearing protection, wire back the blade guard, and go at it. I sort of enjoyed the brutality of it.

We used standard carbide wood-cutting blades, lubricated with spray furniture polish. Used to go through a lot of blades, though I kept on using them until 3 or 4 teeth had flown off.

I never liked the saw's aluminum "shoe" (which was sticky sliding on other aluminum in our application) and the saw's depth adjustment was a bit fiddly, but that was one tough SOB.

Oh yeah: Craftsman power tools suck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Very satisfied with the Ryobi 14.4 volt drill and cordless radial saw.  It was the combo pack with 2 batts and the quick charge for about $100.  Prolly the best value in tools that I have seen.

The B&D Firestorm drills suck big time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, they are owned by B&D but are entirely different animals. Different design engineers, mfg facilities, design materials, quality, marketing group, etc. etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top