Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 3:16:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Why don't they use a pitching machine?  My 9year old neice plays AA and they get 6 balls before a walk. heh.  Makes for a LONG game.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Nut.....you are 100 percent correct.....rules and parity must be present during games....otherwise the kids are "learning" the absolute wrong things......you have entered into a world where you are going to wonder....who`s playing ball here...the kids or?.....most leagues have a head umpire to resolve these issues.....that person should committ to be present during all games.....being in little league....as a coach...manager....father....boys and girls...young men and young women.....for about 14 years.....I have been in one of the worst leagues...and one of the best leagues......you have to voice your concerns.....but don`t get TOO upset.....when dealing with the immature..cut throat fathers and mothers............always keep this thought foremost in your mind......."LET THE KIDS PLAY BALL"....that`s why they are there...that`s why you are there..........good luck......[argue]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]
LOT`S O PRACTICE..........[:)]......P.S.....how little are these guys?....if they`re pee wee`s...we had them hit off tees.......for the games........
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have coached youth sports for 8 years now in Soccer(which I played in Norway)and basketball.

My son started late in Baseball and for what I see of a lot of the coaches he could have skipped it entirely. He started at first base due to his size and athletisism(sp)and that was a "problem" for some of the parents. He was supposed to work his way up I guess. Other kids play 2 innings and hit once based on skill. These are 11 to 12 year old kids that are being told they are not good enough to "PLAY"???
The Town follows Williamsport rules and I have no problem with that but a Recreation program needs to exist so kids can play for the fun of it as well. I grew 4" and gained 15lbs between
8th grade and freshman year. There will be kids in the "not good enough" group that will have similar spurts but will have lost the "love of the game" and thats the real shame. The 13 year old All Star coach told us parents "this is serious stuff, we're not here to fool around"
I smiled, picked up my stuff and lefted the meeting. It's gotta be fun...

[:)>]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I agree that the kids are there to play ball and have fun. I also think we should help them learn the best way to play that game possible. I also agree that the rules should be followed, oh yeah I forgot to mention we don't even have an umpire for our games.

I am just looking for some opinions on what may be a better way to instruct these kids on hitting.
View Quote
VA My son is 8 and we just started [3rd] practice I pitch over hand IT IS VERY HARD to get the ball over the plate while trying not to put to much steam on it I find it drops real fast BUT I also think that pitching underhand is something they WON'T see next year. We also are trying a Whiffle ball set that we pitch over hand it works ok cause the kids arent scared of it and the coach[me] arent scared of hitting the kids 20 to 30 mins. with that and back to the regular ball  I FEEL your PAIN  [BD]PG Hang in there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#7]
After playing catcher in Little League and HS baseball and in FastPitch softball when I was in the Corps it was almost natural to end up being an umpire for little league... (except for having to dodge the wayward foul tips or the balls that the catcher misses ... I almost wore out a protective cup one year)

They need more Umpires for Little League ... it all boils down to if you want rules enforced (even for parity) then you need a enforcing party...

But... since Umpire in Little League is (unless there have been changes in the last couple of years) a total voluntary position... many people will not aspire to it, only to be yelled at by mothers/fathers/coaches/players that think they have a better view of the action from where they are than you the Umpire...

Granted all Umpires do make mistakes... but some of those come from not having enough Umpires to do the job...

Please if you have children in some of the sports and are not taking an active role as a coach or mentor... then consider being an Umpire/Referee...

Thanks,

Ted...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top