Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2002 1:10:42 PM EDT
Does anyone know what type of IFF system the American troops are using? It seems some American press are now saying that the US pilot bombed our guys because they did not have the new American system.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:14:48 PM EDT
Storm Bringer, Never listen to our press. They almost always never get it right. Ben
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:14:57 PM EDT
I was unaware we had anything like that for ground troops. I thought only aircraft used IFF. IN Saudi, the IFF used by troops was the inverted "V" on the vehicles and orange panel markers. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 2:17:26 PM EDT
The new land warrior system does include IFF capability, with the info routed to the soldiers eye piece or the huge camera / scope mounted on his rifle. However, if this system is even out of testing and development and in the field yet, only a few soldiers have it at this point, espescially not the canucks. Outside of that I don't think there is any soldier based IFF system in use.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:01:46 PM EDT
friggin military was quick to make sure IFF has been around a long, long time to make sure the "un-educated" ground troops don't shoot our precious pilots out of the sky.. It's about time they start thinking about preventing trigger happy egomaniacs from sending ordanance in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:07:01 PM EDT
Actually, IFF was developed for air to air engagements. The ground to air part came later. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:09:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:30:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aviator: Actually, IFF was developed for air to air engagements. The ground to air part came later. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
View Quote
granted, I wasn't trying to give a history lesson, only to show that IFF has been around to prevent ground pounders from shootin' flyboys outa the sky, as if they dont spend enough time with VACR as it is (was).
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:32:17 PM EDT
Yeah, us ground guys have IFF... If you're expecting friendly air coming in, you put out your VS-17 panels. It's a STANAG (STandard Nato AGreement) item...and I think they're still on everyone's MTOE (if you're in a combat arms unit). So the Canadians should have had them. Now, did they had them out??? Anybody???
Top Top