Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2002 1:10:42 PM EDT
Does anyone know what type of IFF system the American troops are using?

It seems some American press are now saying that the US pilot bombed our guys because they did not have the new American system.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Storm Bringer, Never listen to our press. They almost always never get it right.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I was unaware we had anything like that for ground troops. I thought only aircraft used IFF. IN Saudi, the IFF used by troops was the inverted "V" on the vehicles and orange panel markers.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The new land warrior system does include IFF capability, with the info routed to the soldiers eye piece or the huge camera / scope mounted on his rifle.  However, if this system is even out of testing and development and in the field yet, only a few soldiers have it at this point, espescially not the canucks.

Outside of that I don't think there is any soldier based IFF system in use.

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
friggin military was quick to make sure IFF  has been around a long, long time to make sure the "un-educated" ground troops don't shoot our precious pilots out of the sky..  

It's about time they start thinking about preventing trigger happy egomaniacs from sending ordanance in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, IFF was developed for air to air engagements. The ground to air part came later.

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Actually, IFF was developed for air to air engagements. The ground to air part came later.

View Quote

granted, I wasn't trying to give a history lesson, only to show that IFF has been around to prevent ground pounders from shootin' flyboys outa the sky, as if they dont spend enough time with VACR as it is (was).
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, us ground guys have IFF...

If you're expecting friendly air coming in, you put out your VS-17 panels.

It's a STANAG (STandard Nato AGreement) item...and I think they're still on everyone's MTOE (if you're in a combat arms unit).  So the Canadians should have had them.  Now, did they had them out??? Anybody???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top