Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2002 10:13:30 AM EDT
This isn't really a firearm question, but I'm kinda thinking about joining the Army. What is everybodys view on this? Has anybody been in active duty? Just curious about your experiences with this. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:26:30 AM EDT
I did 9 years in the Air Force, so I'll tell you what I tell other young people. Fisrt, I ask why you want to go in. The reasons you choose are all your own. I'm just looking for if you've thought everything through as best you can. It's your life, and you have every right to do with it as you please. That's the greatest thing about this Country as opposed to all others: you are free from your Fate here. The only real thing I tell people is that you're going to make a sacrifice the nature of which may take years for you to understand. Plus, if you're going to make a career of it become an officer. The retirement is so much better for the sacrifices you will have suffered. By the way, I wouldn't change my 9 years for huge sums of money. Seriously. The people I met were/are some of the finest human beings on the face of this planet, and I'm a better person for having the honor of knowing them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:28:22 AM EDT
The army can be a beneficial experience(i.e. disipline,combat training, marksmanship,etc.),it can also get you killed! You can be ordered to do things in combat that you KNOW is stupid and will get you killed; the guy doing the ordering gets to stay under cover while your ordered to assualt! Vietnam sucked but if you lived, it was a great expierence! Sp/5 Joe Catterall, Combat Engineers, Vinh Long, Vietnam 1970-1971
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:34:24 AM EDT
The MOSs I would pick would be something like electronic communication, computers, biomedical repair or some kinda tech job. What would be the chances of being forward deployed in a job like that? Would now be a bad time to join because of all the crap that is going on in the world now? On a side note: does the M16A2 shoot semi and full auto, semi and 3rd burst, or all 3?
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:41:54 AM EDT
Now's the best time to join! The jobs you want to do are pretty safe I'd assume. Just curious, you joining to serve your country or to serve you? Either way it doesn't matter, you're still serving this country and I admire that. I'm enlisting as infantry in the Marines really soon, and I checked out the Army before making my decision. I'm almost positive that the M16A2 shoots only semi and 3 rd. The M16A3 shoots semi and full to my knowledge. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:51:24 AM EDT
No. Now is the perfect time to join. I joined the 82nd airborne as an infantryman before the gulf war thinking I would go fight. however, by the time I was done with basic training and jump school, the war was winding down and I never saw any action. I am proud that I served in America's greatest division as a grunt, but still regret never stepping onto the battlefield. I'm about 30 now, I run into SO may people who say to me "I wish I would have served." and they have a million excuses as to why they didn't. and I believe that they genuinely regret not serving. If you are around 18, this is the perfect time for you to go serve your country. You'll still be young enough to go to college when you get out, and you'll carry the pride of being a veteran forever. Veterans form a special bond that civilians can't understand, you'll see. I say go for it! Strike Hold!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:11:14 PM EDT
render has a good point. I joined the army in 98 and now I'm back in school. Great experience, and I got to see most of the US on the Uncle Sugar's credit card. You'll also make plenty of interesting contacts. If you have more questions, drop me an email.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:48:07 PM EDT
Well I served in the second best division in the Army [;)] the 101st Airborne (Air Assault) Division that is. I never have regretted going into the Infantry and I believe it has made me the man I am now. If you take from it what it has to offer, you will learn honor, duty, and sacrifice. I know it sounds weird, but I wanted to see combat to and never did. Its part of the training. Yeah some thing sucked in the Army, but life ain't a box of chocolates. As for those who want a safe job that is fine. Me I always liked living on the edge. Sure I might get shot at, but I get to shot back. What other job allows you to handle beltfed weapons. The combat arms are not for everyone. If you are an adrenalin junky and in good physical shape pick a combat arms MOS and join for 2 to 4 years and get out. You will be young enough to still enjoy college as a young person plus you will have experiences few will ever have or will be able to do. No Slack!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:44:41 PM EDT
Go here: [url]http://forums.about.com/ab-usmilitary/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E[/url] [url]http://www.usmilitary.about.com/[/url] or: [url]http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=frm&s=78919038&f=65819558[/url] Lots of Q&A and good information.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:09:41 PM EDT
Unless you're just a primitive & brutal type of guy AND want to stay in until retirement, I'd say you are on the right track going for some technical MOS involving electronics or optics. Those jobs will be helpful experience after you get out, or make better careers if you stay in. I was in the Army myself and I'm damn proud of it, but the fact is that even the tech people usually end up doing simple, repetitive tasks in forward support units that camp out in the mud and dust. If you really are planning for your future as a civilian, or want a military career that won't start to bore you stiff after 4 years, your chances might be much better in either the Air Force or the Navy. My own interest was in infantry weapons, so I picked the Army and MOS 45B. I figured the Army was where the busted weapons were at, and sure enough I found some. But it was nowhere near as helpful to my civilian job seeking as lots of other MOS's would have been. But then, I never cared all that much about optics or electronics either; I don't really regret my choice. I think the military was a great experience. I met great people from just about every state, Guam, Samoa, etc. etc. and at least got to go to Korea for a couple months. I feel like I learned something about priorities, decisiveness, and attention to detail. It's excellent to be a veteran, even of the 1984 - 1988 "Operation Polish Boots." Thank goodness I had the courage to make the plunge.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:13:26 PM EDT
Oops, I meant "gung-ho & hardcore," not "primitive & brutal." [;)]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:48:50 PM EDT
At one time I was at the same point you are. I chose the Air Force and ended up in a highly technical field that really offered no real future outside the military but I got to work with professionals and I simply loved the work, comraderie and the world after High School. After my enlisted hitch which included Vietnam and unexpected combat, I got out and went to college on the GI Bill. Eventually I went back in the the Army with a commission and stayed for a career. Here is what I learned: The military is like a huge corporation. Virtually every job you can think of is available. You must figure out what you want and how to get it. If you let the military think for you, you will end up in some job they are having trouble filling. You will remember your service for the rest of your life and will see the world in a little different way. Your politics will also change. I do not remember many/any democrats who were officers in the 101st. Many will talk about serving but those who step up to the plate are true citizens and patriots. Best of luck in the future.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:47:07 PM EDT
A lot of the time, being a soldier really, REALLY sucks! But, the good times out-weigh the bad, in quality, if not quantity. You will meet some of the best, and worst, people you will ever know. In the service, you will see things, and do things, and go places......it's really hard to descibe, but you'll see. The best times of my life were in the US Army. Having served, I know what Shakespeare meant in henry V: "He today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." btw, I was in the 1st Cavalry Division, which is by FAR the BEST unit in the Army (never mind what the other guys told you; after all, would you trust the opinion of somebody who used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes for a living?[;)]) And, (I am REALLY proud of this: I served under Gen Franks when he was Col Franks, 1CD Divarty Cmdr. Our guys are in VERY good hands). Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:53:45 PM EDT
my best advice concerning joining the Army is to join the Marine Corps [:D] but seriously, it depends on your goals. if it is adventure/challenge you seek then by all means march yourself down to the USMC recruiter and tell him you wanna be an "03" if you are looking for some good technical training and a leg up in the civilian world i reccomend the AF, all my buddies from highschool went AF and everytime we visited i marveled at their quality of life. your age is a factor as well. i went to parris island at 25, i wouldnt recomend that to anyone!!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:51:02 AM EDT
If your instincts tell you to join the ARMY, then do it. It's a shame that you don't have the "I should join the Marines" instinct. But then again, not everyone does. That's why there's an ARMY.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:36:00 AM EDT
I am going to be signing up for the army after I graduate. I looked at the marines but then I decided I wanted to be airborne in the 82nd or 101st.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:40:58 AM EDT
My advise would be to join the marines instead of the army. I am not picking on army guys... but the army has become very politically correct of late. The marines are a good group of very serious men. They will offer you things that will serve you for a lifetime. Self respect , respect for others, mental toughness, self control, technical training.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:45:07 PM EDT
See what you get to do if you join the service no matter what branch or MOS you pick. You get to have fun and jab and stick your fellow servicemen in the ribs a little. It's all in fun, well sometimes it is. Just don't go into transportation in the Army and run by a platoon of grunts. They will make you feel lower that Whale Squeeze. Death from a hover! Strike and Kill! No Slack! Rakkasan!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:40:08 PM EDT
I'll tell ya i got out after my 4 in the Marines i was 0311 and i have not had a more enjoyable time in my life. Being a grunt can suck at times but the positives way outweigh the negatives.I never thought in my wildest dreams i would ever sit off the coast of Camp Pendleton California in a little black rubber boat doing raids on the beach. I dont know how alot of other Batalions or Companys in the Marines worked,but Grunts get alot more free time than any of the other MOS's.If your not married and you live in the barracks your pay is pretty much free and clear so i believe you are payed half way decent in the military. I dont know anything about the ARMY other than its an ACRONYM for AINT READY to be a MARINE YET. One thing i do know is that the ARMY can stick on a base for four years and thats it,In the Marines your garaunteed to do maybe a WESPAC or whatever they do on the Eastcoast at Camp Lejune. I've been to Australia,Hong Kong,Thailand,Singapore,Malaysia, and other places. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO,ANYTHING A RECRUITOR PROMISES YOU GET IT IN WRITING!AND NEVER GO IN THE MARINES WITH AN OPEN CONTRACT.MAKE SURE YOU GET WHAT MOS AND OTHER THINGS PROMISED TO YOU IN WRITING AND ON YOUR CONTRACT,I WALKED OUT ON MY RECRUITOR TWICE CAUSE I DIDNT GET WHAT I WANTED.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:07:53 PM EDT
Then again, the Air Force had such nice "dorms" and golf courses. I think we spent more time at McChord (sp?) AFB using their MWR stuff than the stuff at Ft. Lewis.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:11:22 PM EDT
Hey i'm in the same boat, I'm 20 *sigh* and I want to serve, but i dont know which/what i wanna be. I don't have great eyesight, and I have some cavities and I think that will hold be back from spec ops. ;\ I'd love to go airborne but i have a feeling I'd have problems with that. Air Force PJ's intrests me alot but again vision ;( If i do join which i want to i'll probably go infantry at first and then try to work my way up if possible. It'd doesn't matter if i end up in airborne/spec ops or just regular infantry, just having served my country will be one of the greatest things i would have done in my life.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:02:26 PM EDT
In all honesty: 1. Don't go in to just shoot machine guns. I that's all you want to do, move to a applicable state, get the tax stamp, and then go into the woods and shoot cans. There's a whole lot more to the armed forces than machine guns. 2. Don't go in thinking what you may have seen in [i]Stripes[/i] or [i]Full Metal Jacket[/i] is what you'll encounter in boot camp. I know this sounds silly to say, but you'd be amazed. 3. Don't go in with a lot of pre-conceived notions of what you'll get out of service. You gotta open your mind and body and learn new things about yourself and your capabilities. All the crap people feed you about the service closing your mind is just that: crap. The service is about molding people into the best condition they can attain... it's a lot easier to allow yourself to be molded than to resist it. It will happen anyway. How much ass-kicking to you want to take to get you there? 4. Keeping 3 in mind, DO get an idea quickly of what you want to do. They're looking for a certain set of skills and competencies for each job they offer. The best way to do what you want is to not only display your interest, but to show applicable skills. 5. Unless you're going to be career military, make damn sure you select a MOS that has applicable real world skils. Army has a good number of them. Navy and Air Force have more. 6. If you have the grades and you're really academically minded, apply to one of the Academies. Yeah, yeah... enlisted folks here may ride me for this one, but it opens a lot of doors in the professional world if you decide you want to get out after your tour. I'm not saying you're stuck in the vocational world after enlisting (far from it), however... hell you already have a degree, you've shown leadership abilities, and you've served your country. That looks good to any future employer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2002 3:36:49 PM EDT by m1tanker]
Marines are like banannas, they start out green, turn yellow and die in bunches. Join the Army, get in a CAV unit and ride into battle on a mighty charriot, all but impervious to rabble with AK-47's and RPG's. There are few things to match riding downrange, scarf flapping in the wind, blowing the hell out of things shaped like tanks, trucks and people with big bullets and machine guns. More importantly, though, chicks dig spurs and stetsons. All the above horseshit aside, the military is a lot of hard work. Grunt, tanker, fuel-pumper guy, cook whatever - expect long hours, unpredictable training schedules, long deployments to foreign lands that you really could give a shit less about (would you notice if Bosnia slipped into the ocean tomorrow? didnt think so). Some MOS's have it easier than others (cooks don't break track in the georgia sun...), but everyone has to put up with the often ignorant: "do it cause I said so or some regulations says it must be done" attitude. Some other fellas on the board have mentioned a hefty dose of Political Correctness in the Army. Very true, but you're kidding yourself if you think the other services don't have the same issues...perhaps to lesser degrees - but I doubt it. Regardless of degree, it will break you to have a supposed "warrior leader" tell you how you must have "consideration for others" in the same breath as "we are going to mount up, move north, and kill everything." If you join, prepare for these contradictions and an assortment of others. Finally, like some of the other guys have mentioned, you may want to consider being an officer. I'm a product of one of our esteemed military academies (wherein lie a lot of our "PC" problems, but I digress). I have enjoyed the PRIVILEGE of leading soldiers and NCO's in the Army. It is a huge weight to bear sometimes. Remember the scene in [u]Saving pvt ryan[/u] where the soldier looks at Tom Hanks and says, "what now, sir?" That'll be you. If you choose that route, however, make sure you are a humble man. It is hard to be the guy in charge with the least experience. If you are not prepared to listen to those that you outrank (and I don't just mean NCO's - Joe is smart too, contrary to popular belief), do what they tell you, then, and most importantly, GIVE THEM CREDIT WHEN YOU SUCCEED, then don't join the officer corps. There are enough of you already. Make sure in your hear of hearts that the stuff I mentioned first (serving your country, whacking skinny's, blowing shit up, drinking beer with guys that would catch a bullet for you...) outweigh the other stuff (PC, long hours, delpoyments, dip-shit officers and NCO's...). Whatever you decide...sigh...even to join the Marines...sigh...good luck. LOAD SABOT-- Tanker
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:40:50 PM EDT
I'm a college grad who has also been looking at the military. Heres my opinion, for whatever its worth. Go to college first - and don't go just for the sake of going. Major in something challenging and useful - it should be something that keeps you so busy that you don't have time (or will even care) about getting sucked into the fratboy/party or 'PC college activist' crap. Thats because its the most challenging and time consuming degrees that give the most back - computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering (my degree), medical, etc. The MOS's you wanted are all hi-tech anyway. College classes will stress you beyond belief, but you'll learn where your limits are - and then break them. I have the highest respect for those in uniform, but consider it takes only 12 weeks to become a Marine and around 9 weeks to be a Soldier; but it takes at least 4 years to earn a Bachelor's degree. Having a degree in an advanced field will make you all the more successful in life and almost no door will be closed to you - in the civilian or the military world----> If you still want to go into the military after college you'll be eligeable for officer training - the highest rank any enlisted man can be (unless they bring back battlefield commissions) is a sargeant (E-5 or above). As an officer, you will have no rank ceiling, unless you count 4-star General. I was told by my Army recruiter that if you decide you don't want officer school, you can enlist as an E-4 (Spec) in the Army because you'll have a degree. You'll bypass all the bs privates have to deal with, have more responsibility, plus you'll be making more money. Its hard to go back to college (or finish for that matter) if you've been out of school for years. Many of my family and friends are prior service, and not one has even tried to go to college, even though it would be paid for 100% by uncle sam. Its hard for many reasons - you probably won't be living at home and will have to have a full time job. You also might be married with children - even more work hours. Plus it will have been years since your last math/english/chemistry/etc class and you'll be rusty. JMHO....
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:57:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2002 6:32:21 PM EDT by Shamus375PA]
College paid for 100%, what GI Bill are you talking about???? Acronym: MARINE = Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential... Eat the apple, *uck the Corps... In my opinion, if you want to live here and enjoy the many freedoms of the US, you should HAVE to serve in *SOME* capacity.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:02:05 PM EDT
Well, the Army is OK, but what I saw when I was stationed on an Army base would cause me to discourage one of my friends/relatives from joining. The soldiers did not have the same Esprit de Corps and sense of brotherhood that we had in the Marines. Also the Army is so top heavy with officers that Non-Comms appeared to have little real authority. Join the Marines, and try to get 2111 (armorer) as an MOS. Getting paid to work with guns every day, shooting a whole lot as a range armorer, etc. isn't a bad way to pass the day. Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:37:51 PM EDT
Thanks for your responses so far. What does everybody think about the air force? I checked into that a little bit, they seem to have a lot of tech careers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:11:19 PM EDT
the AF has an awesome array of tech traning. some of it pays mighy well if you are looking for civilian aplicability. a few of the things i considered before i joined the Corps was air Traffic Control. do a 6 year stint and walk right into a $65k federal job. high stress, wasnt me. i eneded up going 0311 in the Corps. then i went to comm school now im a network engineer and a reservist. it can work out very well. just make the best decision you can with the info you have at the time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:33:11 PM EDT
SNIKT, Every branch of service is going to give you a GREAT DEAL. 30 days leave a year (2.5 days a month = to 30) free medical, free dental, free job training, travel, adventure on and on and on. Like a lot of people have said why do you want to join the service. Ifs it to run around the woods and shoot a rifle and blow stuff up there is no better place. Everything is free plus they will train you and then pay you. If its high tech we have that as well. What you need to do is go to the recuiters office of the branch of service that you are interested in and then make your decision. I will tell you this the Army is the only branch that will put in writing (contract) the job you join up for is the job you will get trained on. Dont let anybody tell you diffrent. If the Army does not abide by this contract you will be given the choice of getting out or pick a diffrent job. The reason I know is it happened to my sister, she got out. I have 17 (13 active 4 reserve )years in the army and dont regret it at all. I just had Spinal surgery from a doctor out of Aspen CO. The bill came to $92,000 ALL FREE ( I was born with a back defect) Just one of the pro's. Currently (and I will catch hell for this at this site) I am a recuiter for the Army in co. It lasted 3 month because of my back, I am off to FT. Carson in a few months for a new assignment. This is the worst job I have every had recruiting that is. I am not going to lie about what the army can do and not do. But I will tell you this. The best America has to offer is her military, we in my opion are Americas best. Joining the military is the best thing you can do for your future. Good luck on your decision. FULLMETALJACKO, Your eye problem wont keep you out of the service, just certain jobs like flying. Go to the recruiting office of what ever branch and ask. The worst they can say is no you cant join, and then you know. As for the USMC. You may not be around much longer. Pres. Bush is considering getting rid of you. Also I talked to a jarhead that is currently in the USMC and he has head the same thing on a number of diffrent occasions. I did try to join the corp but my head didnt fit in a jar. If you have never been in the military you will never understand us. We like to give our fellow servicemen/woman of other branchs a hard time, but if you are an outsider, watch out our BROTHERHOOD is like nothing you will every see. For all those who have served THANKS
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:47:55 PM EDT
Whether you go to the Army, Air Force, Navy or the Marine Corps you'll be serving your country and that's something you can always be proud of. I was in the Army for 20 years and retired as a First Sergeant, for the most part it was all good, but some assignments "were better than others". About 15 years were on jump status, I was a Combat Engineer and Airborne since I was 18, I served in Special Forces and those were the best days of my career if not my life. I also spent some time in 'Leg Land' (non-jumpers) and didn't like it all that much. But I've got some friends that are the finest Americans you'd ever want to meet. Good luck to you and godspeed...
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2002 9:31:44 PM EDT by kill-9]
When I was 19 (I'm now 37), I wanted to join the military. But I also was fascinated with computers and recognized that the military wasn't exactly on the cutting edge of computer technology. So how did I solve this quandry? I joined the Army National Guard. I went to Basic Training and AIT with the active duty guys, but when they shipped out to Timbuktu, I went home. :) The Guard paid my college tuition and student loans, I made several life-long friends, and ended up staying in for 11 years, getting out in 1995. I got to be a part of the military while also developing a very successful and rewarding civilian career. When I joined, I also knew that if I didn't find my niche in civilian life, I could just go active duty. Ever since getting out I've missed it, so a few weeks ago I re-enlisted and will be starting M1A1 Tank training next Wednesday. So when considering your options, or if you want to get a taste of what it's like before diving all the way in, you may want to consider a reserve component. Just my $0.02. Oh, and having read all of the posts before mine, I'd have to say that m1tanker gave the best overall advice. Not surprising, I guess, coming from a 19K. :) -kill-9
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2002 9:34:05 PM EDT by Tate]
[:K]ATOW2B[:K]wrote:
As for the USMC. You may not be around much longer. Pres. Bush is considering getting rid of you.
View Quote
[%|] HA!!!! You're ready for Vegas, man - you're slaying me! USMC shines. That's why everybody rags their asses. Same as the rest of the world ragging the U.S. Tate
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:02:56 PM EDT
hopefully in the end of this year, beginning of the next year i'll be ready for service. I need to loose weigh :( But selecting the service is hard. Growing up with my dad in the Air Force Reserves and at a pretty high enlisted spot, not sure exactly, but we've always stayed at some nice ass bases when we go on trips. So I kinda know how some AF bases are like and they are nice. I'm not looking to get some great training out of it because i doubt the US armed services does Web/Graphic Design, but I would like money for college and all. PLUS: Having served my country and fufilling my duty as an American ;) I would like airborne but I'm still not 100% sure if i could get it, and rejection is one thing i dont like. I recently read something on the AF PJ's and would love to do that but I dont meet the requirments. Infantry and *maybe* MP/security would be my second choice. I think it'd be nice to be a guard/mp on a nice AF base ;) But it's all up to my choice and if i can fix a few small things by the time i feel that i am ready. To anyone who's looking to join, I feel that we (americans) owe it to ALL men, women and animals ;) who have served before us to stand in pride in uniform; be it marine, navy, army, air force, coast guard, police, or fireman.. I feel too much in debt to those who've served before to just blow it off, My great uncle whom I'm named after, gave his life for this country and if the need be I would gladly lay my life down for America. I look at kids now and days and all their "heros" are sports players, movie stars, singers, ect and they have hardly any respect for the men and women who are real heroes. One day they'll learn. WOAH! haha sorry guys just on my rant mode, and it's late so that's effecting me too. -Jack
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:39:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TOW2B: As for the USMC. You may not be around much longer. Pres. Bush is considering getting rid of you. Also I talked to a jarhead that is currently in the USMC and he has head the same thing on a number of diffrent occasions.
View Quote
There is no danger of the Corps going away as long as there is a US. That is because of two reasons First the to quote Gen V Krulak, The nation doesn't really need us, but they want a Marine Corps. They nation understand that the other services can do most of the jobs, but they don't embody everything that the Corps embodies in the eyes of the American people. Second, the National Security act of 1947 (and amended in 1951) formally establish the Marine Corps and the Air Force, granted the heads of both services as co-equal members of the JCS. This was done because of the 10 or so attempts to disband the Marines by the army since the foundation of the Republic). It is actually funny, that you mention disbanding the Corps, when the entire ICBT concept was your COSs, attempt to keep the larger army relevant in today world since the Corps was getting more than its "fair share" of the missions. Even the 18th Airborne Corps could not fulfill the 2nd tenant of Bedford Forest's tenant of getting there the firstest with the moistest. The DRB normally can get their the firstest, but as long as the didn't have to fight anyone with any fire power they were good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:51:23 AM EDT
Will they get rid of the USMC no, Its just a rumor running around capital hill and in the USMC. Just repeating what some of your fellow marines are saying. Each dranch has a diffrent mission.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:19:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:36:31 AM EDT
My neighbor spent 12 years as an officer in the Army 1St Special Forces, is now a Major in the Reserves. He says the military will teach you what you dont want to do with the rest of your life.He is 4th generation Army officer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:24:09 AM EDT
I'm a Msgt/E-8, Army Reserve, and was activated right after 9/11. I have noticed some things in the past 7 months that disturb me greatly, and cause me not to recommend the present day active Army to anyone. Training: No one is doing any with the possible exception of combat arms. (even there, non-mission related tasks are growing, such as trash pickup) We have so many commitments and so few people, that training cycles no longer exist. In fact, the situation is so extreme the reserves have a obviously higher skill and training level than the active guys, something I have never seen before. Average work day is 14 hours, 7 days on, 2 off. Back to back Overseas deployments are the rule. Drugs and alcohol: An unbelievable problem, some units are practically eaten up with it. (We call the 1stCD the 1st Criminal Division) X is really big on base, and you can buy hard liquor at every shoppette. Stabbings and other assault type offenses happen all the time. There are units that have 24 hr walking patrols by Senior NCO's within the barracks to try and keep things in control. We had a shooting just two weeks ago. One dead, one injured. There is an obvious gang presence. (The command will NEVER admit that) Facilities: 8 years of neglect. Troops living in barracks with broken doors, bad plumbing, and wires hanging through the ceiling tiles. Parking and common outdoor areas are unlit either because of disrepair or because we can't afford the electric bill. Troop housing is so inadequate my guys are living 12 to a single wide trailer. Equipment: Running on the ragged edge. Everything is in short supply, from paper towels to fuel and handheld radios. My guys are buying walkie talkies from WalMart to keep in contact, and everybody is using personal funds to purchase supplies. PC: Has really taken hold. Especially enviromental. (Can't even dig holes anymore) Morale and discipline: Really on the slide. Manpower shortages are so acute that people that really need to be kicked out aren't. AWOL's and Domestic violence is commonplace. You can even stay in while taking such medications as Ritilan. There are some bright areas, Medical and Dental are worlds beyond what they were 10 years ago, and hospitals are first rate. Educational funding is really improved (Sign up for school and get a free laptop) Many colleges now have facilities on base, and a lot of MOS's have civilian certifications available (esp medical) Overall, the Army is in the same state it was right after the Vietnam war. This was deliberate, and is gonna take some time to correct. I suggest the Air Force, and only then in a technical field.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:03:45 AM EDT
does any branch have an arms design program where you do your time and then go to school to learn to design weapon systems to put back into the ranks?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:33:58 AM EDT
johninaustin, unfortunately you speak the harsh truth. i havent seen it quite as bad as that in the Corps but my father is an active Army officer and he says the same as you. 8 years of clinton/gore almost destroyed the army. also the freewheeling economy of the 90s made enlistment a less appealing option for young men and women and the Army got lower quality recruits as a result. he advised me to choose the Marine Corps. the Corps never really had much of a budget comapred ot the army so the cuts hurt a bit less. and because we are 1/9th the size of the Army we are better able to filter out some of the scum in the recruiting process. the Corps does not have over 200 MOS specialities like the Army and AF does so your options for tech training somewhat limited but we still have some good stuff like computer repair/networking, ATC, and aviation maintenance.
Top Top