Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2010 3:22:37 PM EDT
As I write this, I assume that everyone reading this knows about "dime drills".

So I was doing some dime drills with my AK (a SA-M7 A1R) and found something unusual happening.

I began by balancing the dime on the portion of the barrel between the gas block and the front sight block. Nearly every time I pulled the trigger, the dime slid off the barrel.

But then I moved the dime and balanced it on the flashhider and found that the dime stayed put every time I pulled the trigger.

I then did the dime drill on my .30-06 and SAR-1. I tried both rifles with the dime balanced at different points along the barrels of both and the dime almost never fell off of either.

Any ideas what's going on? All I can think is that because the SA-M7 A1R barrel is very smooth as compared to the .30-06 (matte finish) or the SAR-1 (small ribs on barrel), the dime is less stable there and is more prone to falling off. Either that or my SA-M7 A1R action is somehow much more violent than that on either of the other rifles.

Again, any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 3:30:48 PM EDT by mike3000fl]
try it with a cleaning rod inserted in the barrel, and the coin on the rod. takes some finesse. good training though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:18:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 4:43:04 AM EDT by GrandForks]
I've not heard of that before, but I'll keep it in mind and see what results it yields. A better measure than putting the dime on the barrel? Maybe, but it sounds really tough.

Edit: I cannot even get a dime to balance on the cleaning rod.

Originally Posted By mike3000fl:
try it with a cleaning rod inserted in the barrel, and the coin on the rod. takes some finesse. good training though.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:20:25 PM EDT
You're supposed to stand the dime on it's edge, you willow-shaking pussy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:23:40 PM EDT
Ok I'll ask, whats a dime drill?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:38:52 PM EDT
It's where you balance a dime on the barrel of your rifle and dry fire the rifle without knocking the dime off. If the dime falls off, it indicates a problem with your trigger pull.

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
Ok I'll ask, whats a dime drill?

Top Top