Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 4:52:40 AM EDT
A very interesting painting I think most ARFCO folks will appreciate.
http://www.mcnaughtonart.com/artwork/view_zoom/?artpiece_id=379#

My internet skills are weak so maybe someone could hot link it for me.

Let’s get one thing clear: the Constitution is a document which spells out a government of limited, enumerated powers. America’s Founding Fathers knew, first hand, just how dangerous excessive power could become.
But for decades now, the Constitution has been slowly chipped away by power-hungry politicians. In the last decade alone we’ve witnessed the Federal Government grow as quickly as its own appetite: Homeland Security, the Patriot Act, entitlement programs, trillion-dollar deficits, the takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, federal bailouts, Stimulus packages, health-care overhauls, the takeover of auto industries, economic regulations, and deficit spending…just to name a few.
To put it simply, the Federal Government has stepped on the Constitution whenever they have stepped outside of its boundaries.

About The Painting:
 Against the background of a darkening sky, all of the past Presidents of the United States gather before the White House, as if to commemorate some great event. In the left hand corner of the painting sits a man. That man, with his head bowed appears distraught and hopeless as he contemplates his future.  Some of the past Presidents try to console him while looking in the direction of the modern Presidents as if to say, “What have you done?”  Many of these modern Presidents, seemingly oblivious to anything other than themselves, appear to be congratulating each other on their great accomplishments.  In front of the man, paper trash is blowing in the wind.  Crumpled dollar bills, legislative documents, and, like a whisper—the U.S.Constitution beneath the foot of Barack Obama
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
That painting is amazing. I ordered the 20 x 30 print.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#4]
+1

for modern political art - it's up there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Bravo !!!

I'm glad he put G.W Bush on the correct side of the painting
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not so sure Lincoln is on the correct side.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Also a very good book.  A must read for anyone seeking to understand the current administration.

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Man-History-Great-Depression/dp/0066211700

ETA:

The source for the term "The Forgotten Man"

The type and formula of most schemes of philan-thropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man. For once let us look him up and consider his case, for the characteristic of all social doctors is that they fix their minds on some man or group of men whose case appeals to the sympathies and the imagination, and they plan remedies addressed to the particular trouble; they do not understand that all the parts of society hold together and that forces which are set in action act and react throughout the whole organism until an equilibrium is produced by a readjustment of all interests and rights. They therefore ignore entirely the source from which they must draw all the energy which they employ in their remedies, and they ignore all the effects on other members of society than the ones they have in view. They are always under the dominion of the superstition of government, and forgetting that a government produces nothing at all, they leave out of sight the first fact to be remembered in all social discussion ? that the state cannot get a cent for any man without taking it from some other man, and this latter must be a man who has produced and saved it. This latter is the Forgotten Man.

The above quote is the premise of Amity Shlaes recent book the Forgotten Man
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm not so sure Lincoln is on the correct side.

Go to the website and when you view the Painting you can click on the individual presidents, to the right will appear commentary

McNaughton details some  the negative things done by Lincoln

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top