Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 8:19:20 AM EDT
Take a minute and call... I just did.  It's not a joke...Who knows, maybe
they will put it back! - Mike

Time to call

Governor Rick Perry is interested in finding out what Texans think about the speed limit roll back to 55 miles and hour from 70.
Please call Governor Perry's office (1-800-252-9600)and let them know what you think about the speed limit being changed to 55 miles an hour.
You may have to hold for a minute, but you will speak with a live person. It is fast and easy. Please pass this on to as many Texans as possible. PLEASE call today. You will actually get a person to take your opinion.

Thanks for help Texans,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
There's no chance of that happening in Texas.  None.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
It might happen. The speed reductions were for to reduce emmissions per EPA "recommendation". (repeated failure to comply with air pollution standards would result in loss of federal hwy funding).
The speed reductions were result of the "Mobile5 Model".  The piece-of-shit model simply determined that a reduction in speed would reduce vechicle emmissions and therefore improve air quality over a extended period of time.
The model never took into account traffic density and the laminar flow of traffic which changes with the max speed the traffic is allowed to travel at. The lower the speed, the higher the traffic density. Higher density means reduced laminar the flow of traffic. Reduced flow means more time on the road to get to point A to B. The extra time (alone with on the gas, on the brake driving) easily offsets the improvement in lowered emmissions due to decreased speed.  Understand?  
Conforming to the Mobile5 model has had no success in Houston, which has extremely poor air quality.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
But I get so much better gas mileage at 55 than I get at 70+  
You'd be surprised at the difference.  It's smaller in conventional cars, but I can see a larger difference in MPG in my car.  Wind resistance is significantly higher at 70 than 55.  

I doubt it's going to change the speed limits, tho.  :)

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]
55 mph on controlled access highways is retarded.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not going to even bother speeders on the 55 mph freeways until they get 80 or above.  What a stupid ass decision to change back the speed limit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
55 mph on controlled access highways is retarded.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
View Quote

Yes, Interstate highways are engineered in most places to handle 80+ MPH traffic.  Obviously traffic density, weather, grade/vector changes and other factors will reduce this, but 55 is about the MINIMUM that any modern limited access highway is designed for.

Most people tend to drive no faster than 80 even when there is no posted speed limit.  Sure a few people will go 110 or more, but most people aren't comfortable with that.  And driving through any western/plains state will show that 100 MPH is safe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it is a statewide rollback to 55 MPH.  Hell, they just raised the speed limit to 75 in West Texas Jan 1st.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't think it is a statewide rollback to 55 MPH.  Hell, they just raised the speed limit to 75 in West Texas Jan 1st.
View Quote

75 means 85 in mph correct? [:D]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have a good radar detector and a CB radio, it means any dang thing you want out in West Texas. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top