Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2002 8:22:43 PM EDT
Ok, this is my first day. Last cigarette ~22 hours ago. I have the 14mg nicotine patch on. Damn it!!! Every frick'n hour, on the hour I get an anxiety attack for 5-10 minutes. It is drving me up the wall. I am breathing through them, almost to the point of hyper-ventilating. [center][size=5]THIS SUCKS![/size=5][/center] Sorry, I just had to get this in the open. It is harder than I thought, because when I am on the computer or watching TV (main activites lately) I would generally have a cigarette going. But I will get through this. I have to. Just to live longer than my sister (so I can have the last laugh over her grave).
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:34:59 PM EDT
I am weak and you are strong. Be strong.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2002 7:58:40 AM EDT by warlord]
BE STRONG AND STAY THE COURSE! I did a calculation for my friend who is also trying to stop smoking. Cigarettes in Calif cost about $3/pack. He smokes a pack a day, $3 x 365 days=$1095 per year saving. You can buy yourself some real nice hardware, and be around to enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:49:19 PM EDT
I feel for ya, I went through this last year when I broke the 45 year habit. Something that helped me was to get some menthol Halls cough drops, pop one in my mouth, then start breathing through my mouth. Almost like a menthol cig. I didn't use the patch either Good luck Borg
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:49:23 PM EDT
Take it from a 3 pack a day, 30 year smoker. You can do it, I did. I estimate that my gun collection has increased by 6 guns in the last year alone, that I would never have been able to afford had I still been smoking. Hang in there!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:00:11 PM EDT
I have the same problem with quitting Copenhagen. My brother is in the Army, where everyone does it, and most of my friends do it also. Tough habit to break.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:14:35 PM EDT
I am quitting a week from today! I have patches and Wellburtin ready to roll. I am gonna do this. I refuse to kill myself anymore with these things. You can do it Guzzler! It will get easier. Let go of the little lady tobacco, she is a whore. Come on man, do it for yourself and your loved ones! I am 100% behind you man! I wish you all the strength in the world.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:19:12 PM EDT
Damn crookshank. At $3.00@pack and 3 packs a day for 30 years, I calculate $98,550. Way to go. I know it must have been one of the hardest things for you to do. My hats off to you. I only smoked those nasty things for 10 years, and it was hard enough for me. Guzzler, good luck and hang in there. Let your AR15 brothers be your inspiration.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:52:08 PM EDT
It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times. [smoke]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:58:15 PM EDT
I haven't inhaled any smoke since the first of the year. Smoked a pack a day for 34 years. Menthol Halls may help but I prefer Fishermans Friend, much stronger. Good luck. I hear its easier to kick heroin.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:06:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By A2cat-man: Damn crookshank. At $3.00@pack and 3 packs a day for 30 years, I calculate $98,550. Way to go. I know it must have been one of the hardest things for you to do. My hats off to you. I only smoked those nasty things for 10 years, and it was hard enough for me. Guzzler, good luck and hang in there. Let your AR15 brothers be your inspiration.
View Quote
Thanks, A2cat-man. It's hard no matter how long someone smokes. If cigarettes had been $3 a pack, in 1968, when I started smoking, I might never had started. At that time, a pack was 30 cents out of most machines, and cartons were under $3.00. In the last 10 years I smoked, I used to go ballistic everytime I'd hear of the newest tax hike on smokes. But I have to admit, with prices so insanely high, and going up, it's a strong deterrent to keep from slipping.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:48:28 AM EDT
I chewed copenhagen for 20 years. I'm talking a can per day. I quit last Nov using the patch. 1 week at each stage. You'll hate life, your wife, your kids, your parents, everyone in the world who has the freakin' audacity to say "good job" etc. But those minutes of sheer hatred will subside, and become further, and further apart. It'd be a good time to focus on that ex that screwed you over and that you don't know the address of. Good luck man. And the only advice I can give is... If you fail once, you will know what it takes to succeed. If you don't fail, you'll have won what millions of Americans couldn't. Again... good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:04:21 AM EDT
NO! Don't quit! The states are depending on YOU to pay the "tobacco settlement"! The feds are depending on YOU to die young and leave all your Social inSecurity "contributions" untouched! If you quit, the terrorists will have won! Quitting smoking is UNAMERICAN!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:21:40 AM EDT
I smoked for 10 years. Quit cold turkey. Everytime I got the urge, I would jump down on the floor and do as many pushups/situps as I could. By the time I got tired, the urge passed. Now I'm smoke free and I look better too!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:05:54 AM EDT
My daddy raised me to never be a quitter! All joking aside, I'm planning on doing the same thing here before too long. I live with my GF, and she is constantly riding my ass about it, and I think quitting will be easier than putting up with the wrath of the one who controls the pussy! I have also figured out that with what I spend on smokes, I could probably afford to buy a lot more ammo and fishing stuff.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:14:17 AM EDT
Listen to me Guzzler. YOU CAN DO IT. If I did it...you can too. You really only have to endure about 3 days of misery...after that the physical side effects decrease significantly. The psychological effects are the ones that you have to deal with later..such as boredom, and feeling like you have to smoke if you drink alcohol or caffeine. You will get through them though!!!!! Take HOT HOT showers as often as you can to help rinse the poison out of your pores...and drink fruit juice. GOOD LUCK and stay with it. It is so worth it in the end to be free of that f**kin monkey!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:17:04 AM EDT
i was a 1-pack/day smoker for 20 yrs. it's been 3 years, 2 months and 11 days for me. if you fail and start smoking again, dont kick yourself, quit again. keep quitting till it sticks. if you need help, get it. i used the patch. but i found the dosage wasnt enough. 10 years ago i quit for 3 years when patches were prescription. the dosage then was 42 mg/day. if you need to, double up those 14mg patches for the first week. best of luck!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:12:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:27:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ilikelegs: I've tried to quite but I am weak. I tell everyone I quit everynight before I go to bed. A pack a day here as well. I wanna quit so bad. I can't stand these things controlling me. I get so pissed so quickly when I try to quit. Fight the power. Good luck. I was thinking of getting hypnotised, but don't think its possible for this to happen to me. Any one else try that ?
View Quote
Here is the formula that was given to me by a couple of people (that successfully quit smoking)that attended a seminar. It worked for me pretty well. 1)3 days alone....by yourself (no outside stress) 2)As much fruit juice and water as you can stand to help get the poison out of your system. 3)As Many HOT showers as you can stand to help clean the poison out of your pores and off your skin. 4)Yeast tablets to help coat the frayed nerves (supposedly nicotine wears down nerve endings ...which is supposed to be one of the triggers that causes the "need" for a cig) I personally did not need these tabs...so I have no idea if these help or not. I drank a shit load of water, stayed in the shower, and stayed to myself as much as I could (married with 3 kids...so it wasn't easy), I did not go to work. I am a former smoker for over 3 years now. GO FOR IT.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:17:03 PM EDT
Hey, thanks for the support! I have been smoking for roughly 15 years now. Current level is 1.5-2 packs a day. I had quit for a month about 4 months ago, but personal life blew up in a shit storm (quit job, friend died, father died, sister freeking out because dad died, step brothers freeking out because dad died, trying to figure out the estate, etc) and picked it back up as a crutch. Things are slowly getting back to normal with lower stress so I feel I can attempt again. I wish I had some Wellburtin, I hear it really helps, far more than nicotine suppliments. I am a good believer of "Bettery living through better chemistry", hehehehe I did go out shopping for a gym today. Figure that if I am going to quit smoking, might as well replace it with something else. As for the cost per year of cigarettes. I figured it out once awhile ago. If I just took the cigartte money I had spent and put it in a account at roughly 6% interest, I would be in a fine, fine home right now. I had to wait for the perfect time, i.e. when I ran out of smokes right when I went to bed, and didn't have anymore around the house. Monday just happened to be the day. Now today, the mood swings are comming on strong. Man, I thought women on PMS were bad, no one as seen me yet. I have a feeling that I am going to be dealing with major acne next. I keep rubbing my face with my hands. Oh goodie!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:42:29 PM EDT
Lots of water. Carrots & celery. Keep busy. You will make it. I did 5 years ago. The best part was that I could TASTE things. I didn't need as much salt, tobasco etc... The really freaky thing was finding out what a beer at a bar without a smoke tasted like. You might gain a few pounds. I did like 15. The gym would be a good choice. Remember that you are learning to operate without a chemical in your body. Just like you felt kinda loopy when you first inhaled. You will feel kinda funny now to. I would know what I wanted to say, but couldn't get it out for a few days to a week. Cold turkey is the only way. Scott
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:56:44 PM EDT
I quit 2 years ago, but when the started up with the TRUTH commercials, I got so pissed off about who I found myself alined with that I started smokeing again as a political statement.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:06:02 PM EDT
I quit 21 years, 10 months, 4 days, and 10 hours ago. I was a three pack a day Marlboro man, and man do I miss it. It gets better really soon, but you live with the thought of wanting one. I wish I had one now just f@$king thinking about it. Sex, a beer, a Marlboro, shit that was a long time ago!!
Top Top