Page / 24
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

El Tequileńo is OK; not great.

I’m might break open an El Tesoro tonight.
View Quote

I bought that same bottle a while back - It was an impulse buy and I didn't know much about it.   I thought it was OK, not great as well.  For the price, there are several other blancos that are much better.    Apparently the El Tequileno Reposado Rare is really good stuff, but the blano is more meh..

I've enjoyed everything I've tried from El Tesoro...
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#3]
What’s the consensus on Tears of the Llorona?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]
If you enjoy aged tequila, Tears of Llorona is really good.   It's aged in scotch, sherry, and brandy barrels for 5 years which gives it a really interesting and complex flavor.   The agave still comes through and this is additive-free.   It is expensive and can be hard to find, but to me it's a really great bottle.  

Out of curiosity, what is the price at your Costco?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By justsayin:

Can't remember,  but I believe it was around $200, I'm going by this weekend,  I'll see if it's in.
View Quote

It's hard to find, and it's usually around $250+ when I see it on the shelf.  For $200 for a 1L bottle I would go for it if you don't mind spending the $$ on a bottle.    It is really good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What does the hive think of Ilegal Mezcal Reposado? Found it for $40. Is it a buy?

I found Tears of Llorona for $280.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By artimus009:
What does the hive think of Ilegal Mezcal Reposado? Found it for $40. Is it a buy?

I found Tears of Llorona for $280.
View Quote
I'd buy it for $40.  It's been a few years since I had a bottle of Ilegal Repo but it was enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#11]

Can't remember,  but I believe it was around $200, I'm going by this weekend,  I'll see if it's in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZGR:
If you enjoy aged tequila, Tears of Llorona is really good.   It's aged in scotch, sherry, and brandy barrels for 5 years which gives it a really interesting and complex flavor.   The agave still comes through and this is additive-free.   It is expensive and can be hard to find, but to me it's a really great bottle.  

Out of curiosity, what is the price at your Costco?

Tears of Llorona is a unique expression - being a blend of Tequilas aged in different casks.
I think it’s really good - my wife thinks it’s fabulous.  
For $280 / bottle there are others out there that might be better - in my opinion. Rey Sol for example.
That being said - recently, one of the online stores had some sort of a glitch in their pricing and I got (2) bottles of the Tears for $354/shipped with tax.
Wish I would have ordered more before they figured out the glitch,  but I wasn’t sure the first order was going to make it through…..at such a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Fortaleza Blanco was one of the first good blancos that I tried, thanks to this thread and the recommendation from woafp.    A while ago, I found a bottle of Fortaleza reposado at a local shop and bought it, then stuck it in my liquor cabinet and kind of forgot about it.

Tonight I opened it up and gave it a taste.   Like the Blanco, the repo is really good.   There is nice agave up front, but the barrel aging comes through and makes is a really tasty sipper for me.  

Things have really gone crazy and it's almost impossible to find any Fortaleza, but I'm hoping to keep a bottle of their Blanco and repo in rotation if I can find them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:29:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Fortaleza Blanco was one of the first good blancos that I tried, thanks to this thread and the recommendation from woafp.    A while ago, I found a bottle of Fortaleza reposado at a local shop and bought it, then stuck it in my liquor cabinet and kind of forgot about it.

Tonight I opened it up and gave it a taste.   Like the Blanco, the repo is really good.   There is nice agave up front, but the barrel aging comes through and makes is a really tasty sipper for me.  

Things have really gone crazy and it's almost impossible to find any Fortaleza, but I'm hoping to keep a bottle of their Blanco and repo in rotation if I can find them.
View Quote

I miss Fortaleza.  Haven't seen any on a shelf in probably a year.

I'll be getting into a little bit of Don Fulano reposado tonight for my day off.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Let me know if you do find any Forteleza; I will do the same.
View Quote

I haven't seen it on the shelf in AZ for a long time, although I seem to think that AJs might carry it.  

I travel to upstate NY periodically for business, and found a liquor store with a pretty good agave section.  I was there in March, and they had about 8 bottles of Fortaleza blanco and the same of the repo on the shelf.  I bought 2 blancos, figuring that the demand for Tequila in upstate NY just wasn't that strong.   I was there this week ready to stock up on some Fortaleza goodness, and they are completely wiped out.   It turns out that they started selling online, and they sold out their Fortaleza right away.  

I bought 3 bottles of G4 blanco since I really enjoy that one and can't always find it.   I also bough a Chamucos repo as an impulse.  I haven't tried anything from Chamucos so hopefully the repo is good.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Elvis121:

I'll be getting into a little bit of Don Fulano reposado tonight for my day off.
View Quote

I haven't tried the Don Fulano repo, but I really like the blanco and high proof blanco.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I decided to break into this tonight and to a taste comparison to my Tesoro Blanco:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_0254-2798270.jpg
Another agave forward tequila, especially for a reposado.  Definitely sweet and I like it a little more than the Tesoro:  better flavor and less alcohols taste.
View Quote

That stuff is great in a margarita.  Way better than the mass market shit, but not good enough to feel guilty mixing.  Pretty damn good for the price point.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Try Artenom…I actually like it better than Fortaleza!
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried a new one for me this week - Terralta Blanco.

It's from NOM1579, so the same distillery who makes G4, Volans, AreNOM1579, and a few others.    G4 is blanco is now one of my favorites that I can usually find without too much trouble, and I've liked the other blancos from 1579 that I've tried.

The Terralta is really good to me, with a lot of agave up front and a taste that is similar but not the same as G4 blanco, with a clean flavor and finish.   I believe that the difference between the brands is in the water used, G4 uses a 50/50 mix of rain water and spring water, where Terralta uses 100% deep well water.    

There are still a couple of NOM1579 tequilas that I haven't tried yet, and I will keep my eye out for them to give them a try as I find them.    

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:35:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#22]
This thread is going to take a lot of research.  Looking for a new Tequila for tomorrow.  Shit I am drinking today is only for the buz.

Work weekend at the beach.  Local store has a rather good selection of good stuff, so hopefully something on this thread will be there.
---T
The amusement - the work is building a bar at the rental.  Not sure what we are going to accomplish.  Should finish the first 1/2 of the bar stools tomorrow.  We were going to install that thatch this weekend, but that is fucked.  Will put in a few more bar signs and try to figure out the sound system.  The rental sleeps enough we know our renters party there - so we are going to give them a professional beach bar to fuck themselves up (without fucking up the house).

Last time I was there was the day after my thumb hit the table saw.  I did not take the codine that night, but damn I got myself wasted.   But that's the beach.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I was in St Barts recently and a liquor store had Fortaleza on the shelf.  Sadly, I had already bought a bunch of rums to bring back, so I could only fit 1 bottle of the Repo in my luggage.

On another note, my tequila guy said there is talk of Fortaleza reappearing on Kentucky shelves "soon".  I want to believe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Malarauko:
I was in St Barts recently and a liquor store had Fortaleza on the shelf.  Sadly, I had already bought a bunch of rums to bring back, so I could only fit 1 bottle of the Repo in my luggage.

On another note, my tequila guy said there is talk of Fortaleza reappearing on Kentucky shelves "soon".  I want to believe.
View Quote

Hopefully your guy is correct.   I have 1 bottle of blanco and 1 bottle of repo that I've had a few drinks out of, but I don't drink them very often because I can't find it anymore.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:30:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#25]

Hopefully your guy is correct.   I have 1 bottle of blanco and 1 bottle of repo that I've had a few drinks out of, but I don't drink them very often because I can't find it anymore.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Malarauko:

Last time I was in Phoenix (back in January) Paradise Liquor (on Southern Ave) had a couple of cases of the Fortaleza Still Strength.
Might give them a call.
It was pretty reasonable too….$65 if I remember correctly.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Thx for the tip.  I've never heard of that place, and it's definitely not somewhere that I'd think to look for Fortaleza.   If that's still in stock, I'll definitely pick some up and I'll report back in here either way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Thx for the tip.  I've never heard of that place, and it's definitely not somewhere that I'd think to look for Fortaleza.   If that's still in stock, I'll definitely pick some up and I'll report back in here either way.
View Quote

Another place to try, Tops Liquor on University Drive in Tempe had a great selection of Mezcal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:

Last time I was in Phoenix (back in January) Paradise Liquor (on Southern Ave) had a couple of cases of the Fortaleza Still Strength.
Might give them a call.
It was pretty reasonable too….$65 if I remember correctly.

View Quote

I got around to calling them today - They have the std blanco for $80 and the winter blend repo for $299...    A little steep for me on both, so I'll pass for now.  

Thx for the recommendation though - Also I've found some stuff at Tops Liquor before.  I think that's actually the last time I found a Fortaleza Blanco and Repo locally, which was a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 3:51:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Picked up a bottle of Herradura Legend for $67. Couldn’t pass it up. Anyone try this?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I was at a local mexican food restaurant, and they had a pretty good agave selection.    I tried a glass of Lalo Blanco, and it was pretty good.   They only make a Blanco, it's additive free, and its pretty easy to find around me.  This might be my go-to blanco for a while.

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PNFLDS:
Someone just posted that WOAFP, the founder of this thread has been…banned…permanently.

Anyone know what he did?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360155/Screenshot_20230216-063156_2-2712937.png

Wow.  Dude had a dark side.

As for tequila, just grabbed a bottle of El Tesoro Blanco to try.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Del maguey San Luis del Rio is damn good!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I was at a local mexican food restaurant, and they had a pretty good agave selection.    I tried a glass of Lalo Blanco, and it was pretty good.   They only make a Blanco, it's additive free, and its pretty easy to find around me.  This might be my go-to blanco for a while.

View Quote

Lalo was really enjoyable when I tried it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm having a glass of Lalo blanco right now since it's National Tequila Day.  Cheers
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I was at a friend's place recently, and they had a bottle of this "really good" tequila that they bought.   It was Casa Del Sol Blanco.  I had not heard of it before, but I'll never turn down a chance to try a new tequila.   I took a sip, and all I could taste was fake sweetness, almost like frosting.    I didn't taste any agave, and if I would have taken a blind taste, there's no way I would have guessed that it was tequila.     I politely said thank you, and proceeded to mix it with some soda water and lime to get a decent tasting drink.  

After looking into it, it's another celebrity brand, this one owned by Eva Longoria.   I think the blanco is priced at around $60, which is ridiculous.    I'd never buy it at any price point.  I don't understand why brands make tequila taste like something other than agave, maybe so people who don't like the taste of tequila and become tequila drinkers?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Just had Dos Boots Mezcal Ancestral, first ever mezcal and honestly it blew me away how good it was. I like good Islay Scotch and it's even better than that.
This one had the full earthy distilling process, clay pots, clay still, clay pit, tahona stone.  Very earthy and rich.

I had some Rey campero joven and that's very good too and cheaper.

I may have a new favorite kind of liquor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone had this, trying it this weekend, Montelobos Pechuga

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By raverill:
Anyone had this, trying it this weekend, Montelobos Pechuga

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421774/IMG_1106_jpeg-2939274.JPG
View Quote

Saw that on the shelf locally - but the price was a little stiff for not knowing anything about it.
Looking forward to your review….
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#40]
@bondservant2 undertones of petroleum and methane

It’s actually awesome!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I've settled on using Arette Blanco and Repo as my go to tequilas for mixing.   I was at a local store with a good Tequila selection a couple of weeks ago to buy some Arette, and started talking to a guy working there about different tequilas, etc.  He told me that they had a shipment of G4 blanco Madera if I was interested.    I bought a bottle and it's really good.  

The Blanco Madera is fermented in wood tanks instead of stainless for the std blanco, and it's really good.    It has more flavor than the std blanco, but doesn't taste aged like a repo or anejo.      I'm enjoying this bottle, and might have to pick up another if they have any left.  I understand that this one is a limited release done maybe once per year, but could be mistaken.  Either way, another solid bottle out of nom1579.

https://www.tequilamatchmaker.com/tequilas/7189-tequila-g4-blanco-madera
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I've settled on using Arette Blanco and Repo as my go to tequilas for mixing.   I was at a local store with a good Tequila selection a couple of weeks ago to buy some Arette, and started talking to a guy working there about different tequilas, etc.  He told me that they had a shipment of G4 blanco Madera if I was interested.    I bought a bottle and it's really good.  

The Blanco Madera is fermented in wood tanks instead of stainless for the std blanco, and it's really good.    It has more flavor than the std blanco, but doesn't taste aged like a repo or anejo.      I'm enjoying this bottle, and might have to pick up another if they have any left.  I understand that this one is a limited release done maybe once per year, but could be mistaken.  Either way, another solid bottle out of nom1579.

https://www.tequilamatchmaker.com/tequilas/7189-tequila-g4-blanco-madera
View Quote

If you like the Arette, try Cimarron.  It's around the same price point.  Personally, I like the Arette blanco and the Cimarron repo.

The G4 Blanco Madera is fantastic!  I just lucked into a case of the second lot of it, and am looking forward to tasting it against the first lot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SouthnNorth:

If you like the Arette, try Cimarron.  It's around the same price point.  Personally, I like the Arette blanco and the Cimarron repo.

The G4 Blanco Madera is fantastic!  I just lucked into a case of the second lot of it, and am looking forward to tasting it against the first lot.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion - The guy working at the shop that I bought the Arette from mentioned Cimarron also.   I'll give it a try the next time I go shopping.   I never went back to get another bottle of the G4 Madera, but I'm enjoying the one I have.   I doubt that they will still have, but if there's any left the next time I'm at that store I'll get a bottle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LamentConfig] [#44]
I had no idea this place had an agave spirits thread.

Cimarron is gross, it has a cheesy malolactic note once the bottle opens up. Its an awful mixer & I feel bad for anyone who buys the liter size bottle.

Maybe the repo hides it better, I was using the blanco for bloody marias just to get through it & I am not a fan of mixed drinks in the least.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: artimus009] [#45]
After reading the many many many pages of this thread, I found some El Tesoro’s. Since I like añejos, this is what I found:

1. Añejo for $80
2. Añejo Mundial LAPHROAIG Edition $155 and the Knob Creek Edition $190
3. Extra Añejo $145

Which ones should I buy? I really like Tears of Llorona and Heradura Legend to give you guys an idea of what I like. Halp GD…you’re my only hope.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#46]
After reading the many many many pages of this thread, I found some El Tesoro’s. Since I like añejos, this is what I found:

1. Añejo for $80
3. Extra Añejo $145

Which ones should I buy? I really like Tears of Llorona and Heradura Legend to give you guys an idea of what I like. Halp GD…you’re my only hope.
View Quote

If you like Tear’s, I’d say go for the Extra Añejo. I’d like to try the ones you listed in #2, but not enough to buy before I try.

Don’t expect the XA to be like Tear’s though; approach if with no expectations.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#47]

1. Añejo for $80
3. Extra Añejo $145

View Quote

I've had El Tesoro Blanco, Single Barrel Repo, Extra Anejo, and Paradiso and they are all really good.  The Extra Anejo used to be around $100, but they raised all of their prices and now it's a more expensive bottle.  I think it's much better than 1942 and of course Clase Azul at similar price points.  To me it has a more agave forward flavor than Tears, and I wouldn't really compare the 2 because I think they are different categories.  At $150, it's a good bottle if you like agave and don't mind spending that.

I imagine that the El Tesoro Anejo is really good, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't comment on it.

The Laphroig edition sounds interesting, but I have not wanted to spend the $$ on a bottle because I'm not sure if I will enjoy the peaty taste or not.   I haven't seen the Knob Creek edition, but I'd expect it to be good although that's a premium price point for sure.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SouthnNorth:

View Quote

I picked up a Cimarron blanco for cocktails, and I have to say that I prefer the Arette.   I'll pick up a Cimarron repo and see what I think of it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Picked up Extra Añejo and the Knob Creek. Probably will pop one or both open this Thursday along with the few bottles of Rombauer* I picked up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Picked up Extra Añejo and the Knob Creek. Probably will pop one or both open this Thursday along with the few bottles of Rombauer* I picked up.
View Quote

Post up what you think of them when you taste them.    Also, Rombauer Chardonnay is really good stuff
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top