User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I passed! I'm now OW/dry suit certified (SDI). No fun dives for me today, I'm too beat

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Congratulations!
Getting through the class is work. Diving for fun will be better- you won't have to worry about the skills tests.
You will be using those skills, and throughout your diving you need to polish and really master those skills, especially buoyancy and trim.

Go forth and have fun!
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Congratulations!  Your check out dives are almost always your least fun BTW
View Quote

That is no crap. I have been diving for decades and recently decided to get my AOW. Those dives definitely felt like work, even though I had been using those skills for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#6]
Class pic - I'm second from right. The guy on the far right did dry suit with me.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pepperbelly:

That is no crap. I have been diving for decades and recently decided to get my AOW. Those dives definitely felt like work, even though I had been using those skills for a long time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No shit. During the removal and replace of BCD at surface, there was much use of the F word on my part. Instructors were shocked as they had never heard me swear. It was a running joke.

Deep water exit - OMG. Damn near killed me (figuratively). I couldn't get my fins off. Someone else peeled them off my feet (spring straps). I got one rung up the ladder and I just couldn't continue. We took the 20 pounds of lead out of my weight pockets. Still couldn't do it. Took my BP/W off and someone hauled it up onto the dock for me.

Needless to say, I'm going to be working on my upper body strength over the winter. Plus I'm going to get a pass to the local indoor pool and work on building up my leg stamina over the winter. Fins and kick board.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Way to go, now the real fun begins.

I'd say you're in way better shape than one lady on my trip.  She's been diving a while though. Probably in the 70-75 age range. 5ft tall at most and walks with a cane. But once in the water she got around fine. The DM would just lead her around, help as needed like dumping air since it was tough for her to reach her arm up.  And we'd follow in the generally area at what was a perfect place to reach the next mooring location after an hour or so.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Git Jah!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm off to Gilboa Quarry in northern Ohio this weekend for the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew fall meet & greet. I've gotten in contact with a single gal who's a bit younger than I am for at least one dive on Saturday. She's going to help me tweak my BP/W and will also get some u/w pics of me, which everyone has been asking for.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Marie:
I'm off to Gilboa Quarry in northern Ohio this weekend for the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew fall meet & greet. I've gotten in contact with a single gal who's a bit younger than I am for at least one dive on Saturday. She's going to help me tweak my BP/W and will also get some u/w pics of me, which everyone has been asking for.
View Quote

You'll enjoy Gilboa. There's a shallow side and a deep side. Stay out of the deep side. Are you camping there or getting a room?

If you get a room for a weekend in Toledo you can do the quarry trifecta which consist of diving at Gilboa, Portage, and White Star quarries. Of those three White Star was always the favorite of me and the wife.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#13]
I'm camping. It's cheap and diving has been expensive! ;-). Entire group weekend. I'll do 2, maybe 3 dives on Saturday. Just going to take it easy and have some fun. Only planning on the shallow side. The deepest I've been is about 35 ft.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jpk33:
Just out of curosity how much $$$ does an open water class cost now? I did mine in '82 and I think it was around $110.
It is a lot of fun once you get used to it - outside of the pool is where you will loose yourself because of everything you can see/expierience from a completely foriegn perspective.

The dry suit will keep you warm, but at increased bouancy.
ENJOY the adventure!!
View Quote

$200 here including gear rental. Self study, 2.5 hours in a pool, a total of 4 hours in a lake, 2.5ish is spent on the surface waiting on your turn.

Or the other shops are 400ish and have adequate instruction.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]
For those saying get a dive skin or wet suit, ain't gonna happen. Tried to fit into what the shop actually had in stock. None fit me. Same issue I had with dry suits. I don't fit into stock sizes. There's a reason why I ordered a custom dry suit. A bunch of women on Scuba Board reported the same issues and had to custom for either dry or wet suits.

Another reason I got the BP/W now is because of fit. I felt smushed in the jacket BCDs and they didn't seem to fit properly. BP/W fits me great. I've heard them called the AR of the diving world since they're so modular, and they really are!

View Quote

They're the way to go for sure. I went way overboard with mine,  (scubapro xtec form)  but it's comfortable even in a dive skin.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#16]
It's been fun at Gilboa. 2 dives today. Folks have been very kind and have schlepped my tanks up and down the stairs to the big dock. I had a hard enough time getting up the steps from the water. They've also been very patient with me. Had a hard time getting comfortable one 1st dive. Buoyancy was crap. Had a difficult time descending even though it was determined I was properly weighted (18 lbs of lead) and all air was out of wing. Not sure what the issue was. On 2nd dive, we descended on a line to one of the training platforms. So I just hauled myself down on the line. Not the best solution, but it worked. Saw a massive big ass catfish on the bottom. Had to wear my hood for the first time due to the bitey, aggressive fish. I was still doing a lot of hand holding but my goal was to get underwater time, and get more comfortable. Buoyancy was much better on 2nd dive.

Folks in the group are great. Weather has been gorgeous, although chilly. My tent continues to work fine, could just use a heavier sleeping bag. I am using a liner it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#17]

No shit. During the removal and replace of BCD at surface, there was much use of the F word on my part. Instructors were shocked as they had never heard me swear. It was a running joke.

Deep water exit - OMG. Damn near killed me (figuratively). I couldn't get my fins off. Someone else peeled them off my feet (spring straps). I got one rung up the ladder and I just couldn't continue. We took the 20 pounds of lead out of my weight pockets. Still couldn't do it. Took my BP/W off and someone hauled it up onto the dock for me.

Needless to say, I'm going to be working on my upper body strength over the winter. Plus I'm going to get a pass to the local indoor pool and work on building up my leg stamina over the winter. Fins and kick board.
View All Quotes

Marie, my wife is in the same situation as you. She's about 10 yrs. older than you and has had 2 total knee replacements & 2 total hip replacements within the last 3 yrs. Even before the surgeries she has been losing the strength to climb the ladder with her gear so she would talk to the divemasters before hand and explain her situation. Since the surgeries her Dr. recommended she not carry the full weight of her gear so we have had to make adjustments. The good thing is that divemasters, instructors, etc. have been very accommodating to her. We just went to St. Croix last month and once she got back in the water she did great. If you have any concerns let the divemaster know and I'm sure they will be very helpful to you.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#18]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

You'll enjoy Gilboa. There's a shallow side and a deep side. Stay out of the deep side. Are you camping there or getting a room?

If you get a room for a weekend in Toledo you can do the quarry trifecta which consist of diving at Gilboa, Portage, and White Star quarries. Of those three White Star was always the favorite of me and the wife.
View All Quotes

Portage is now closed. Apparently the owners discovered they would make more money by allowing concrete and other stuff to be dumped on the site.

I'll not be camping again. My left knee is very unhappy about getting in an out of my dome tent. I'll get a hotel next time.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By diverdown7105:
Marie, my wife is in the same situation as you. She's about 10 yrs. older than you and has had 2 total knee replacements & 2 total hip replacements within the last 3 yrs. Even before the surgeries she has been losing the strength to climb the ladder with her gear so she would talk to the divemasters before hand and explain her situation. Since the surgeries her Dr. recommended she not carry the full weight of her gear so we have had to make adjustments. The good thing is that divemasters, instructors, etc. have been very accommodating to her. We just went to St. Croix last month and once she got back in the water she did great. If you have any concerns let the divemaster know and I'm sure they will be very helpful to you.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By diverdown7105:

Thanks for your post. It's one thing if I'm diving off a boat, but if I'm just out with friends, that's another matter altogether, depending on the specific dive site. This weekend at Gilboa, a 70 year old man (head of our group) even hauled my tank up the stairs once. I felt really bad, but there was just no freakin' way I was going to do it. He offered.

At our local quarry where I did my OW dives, it's easier. The old road down into the quarry is now the "beach" area, where you can just walk right out. I can park my wagon right at the water's edge, off to the side, to put my tank/BC into, once I take it off. There are huge square rocks lining the beach and they're the perfect height to sit down and take my BC off at
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm rather pissed right now. Some turd on a local forum keeps poopooing me about the stairs at Gilboa and tells me to just get a dolly (hand truck) to run my gear up and down the steps. Won't answer when I've asked if he's ever been at Gilboa. I knew to be careful (my female instructor slipped on the steps while fully geared up two years ago and fell down the steps. She thought she had broken her tailbone) and I still almost slipped, when I was just walking down with my fins in one hand and the other on the railing. I just love it how some people know best about my physical limitations. I'm being more active, which is very good for me, but I have to do some work arounds  - like my wagon, but that doesn't work for all dive sites.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:44:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#21]
For the boat dives, take off your tank/BC first and either hand it up or clip it off to get yourself when you get out. Then take off your fins and hand'em up.
Use the motion of the boat to assist you in getting the first step on the ladder and if you need help, say so.
Every diver has experienced being tired and damn few I've met in 45 years of diving won't help; those that won't generally aren't welcomed back on the boat.

As far as beach diving goes, who sez you gotta get all that shit back in one load? Drop the tank or weights and make 2 (or more trips).

You might want to consider a smaller tank like an AL63; your bottom time will be shorter, but you'll be able to carry it easier until you can build your strength a bit more.
Another thing is use Nitrox (yet ANOTHER cert )- you're less tired at the end of a dive due to having a higher oxygen count in your air mix (a gross over-simplification, admittedly).

Last- to hell with all the assholes on forums- including this one- that talk shit. Don't let'em get you down.

Congratulations on the new skill.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#22]
Pics from my first dive at Gilboa on Saturday.

We're right above the school bus where all the fish came out of nowhere. My reaction was to pull up (go vertical) and shield my face with my arm - just an instinctive reaction.

Other two pics show the hand holding. I was a nervous Nellie. I was much better on the second dive. And yes, my trim and buoyancy needs work!

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Pics from my first dive at Gilboa on Saturday.

We're right above the school bus where all the fish came out of nowhere. My reaction was to pull up (go vertical) and shield my face with my arm - just an instinctive reaction.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx353/theodorae2003/IMG_2664.jpg

Other two pics show the hand holding. I was a nervous Nellie. I was much better on the second dive. And yes, my trim and buoyancy needs work!

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx353/theodorae2003/IMG_2665.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx353/theodorae2003/IMG_2666.jpg
View Quote

Vis is much better than I expected, 30feet?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, I'd say about 30 ft. The regulars in the group I was with weren't totally happy with the viz, but compared at Haigh Quarry where I was certified, this was excellent viz!

Underwater pumpkin carving Sunday. I'll probably be doing another fun dive after Dunkin Punkin. Should be able to do it without holding hands unless viz is arms length.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#26]
The bluegills are going to be in a frenzy when you start guttin a pumpkin.  Prepare fer bleeding ears...
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SanchoCobb:
The bluegills are going to be in a frenzy when you start guttin a pumpkin.  Prepare fer bleeding ears...
View Quote

I'll be wearing my hood...

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I won DRIS' 10th annual costume/carving contest! My prize is a Halcyon BP/W.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Nice!  Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

Nice!  Congrats!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

Nice!  Congrats!

I was a ballerina with a pink and purple tutu to match the purple trim on my drysuit.

This is the BP/W I won.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:40:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#31]
Dunkin Punkin pics

First is of me and dive buddy just before we got in the water. I'm the one sitting down (note tutu!). Others are of dive buddy carving her pumpkin.Still waiting on underwater pics.

My prize (I bought the knife).
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Sweet! Sounds like you're having fun

And you've found as I have - it's much more relaxing and easy to get around in the water vs. on land! I'd rather be floating than walking...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Sweet! Sounds like you're having fun

And you've found as I have - it's much more relaxing and easy to get around in the water vs. on land! I'd rather be floating than walking...
View Quote

Much easier on my legs!

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy crap, that's a seriously nice BP/W. Halcyon stuff ain't cheap either.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:29:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#35]
Holy crap, that's a seriously nice BP/W. Halcyon stuff ain't cheap either.
View Quote

About $750-800

ETA: My current BP/W has a Hollis Elite 2 harness on it. I've always had a very difficult time getting the shoulder straps tightened. People always have to do them for me. I moved the weight pockets all the way back against the plate and moved the shoulder strap connected more forward, so I would only have to pull down to tighten. Nope. Couldn't get it.

Halcyon has this "Quick Cinch" feature where you just pull or loosen the shoulder strap webbing itself. It's so much easier to handle!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#36]
My dive buddy finally posted the underwater pics to FB.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#37]
I'll just keep posting any questions I have in this thread, as it's just easier to keep them in one place.

I've been diving a 28 lb wing since my 2nd OW pool session, so I've got 8 dives on it besides the pool session. Over the weekend I won a Halcyon Infinity 40 BP/W at DRIS' underwater pumpkin carving contest. I've always had major issues getting the shoulder straps on the harness (Hollis Elite 2) tightened because I simply couldn't get enough purchase when attempting to tighten, even after moving where the shoulder straps connect to the waist belt (more forward, so I only had to pull straight down, rather than at an angle). My dive buddy always had to do it for me, which was a PITA to me. The Halcyon harness has the quick cinch feature that is easy for me to work.

My question: will I feel much of a difference switching from a 28 lb wing to a 40 lb one? I really have no clue. The question just occurred to me this morning.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll just keep posting any questions I have in this thread, as it's just easier to keep them in one place.

I've been diving a 28 lb wing since my 2nd OW pool session, so I've got 8 dives on it besides the pool session. Over the weekend I won a Halcyon Infinity 40 BP/W at DRIS' underwater pumpkin carving contest. I've always had major issues getting the shoulder straps on the harness (Hollis Elite 2) tightened because I simply couldn't get enough purchase when attempting to tighten, even after moving where the shoulder straps connect to the waist belt (more forward, so I only had to pull straight down, rather than at an angle). My dive buddy always had to do it for me, which was a PITA to me. The Halcyon harness has the quick cinch feature that is easy for me to work.

My question: will I feel much of a difference switching from a 28 lb wing to a 40 lb one? I really have no clue. The question just occurred to me this morning.
View Quote

You might feel a difference in terms of drag thru the water and trim. A 30 pound wing is going to behave differently in terms of buoyancy compared to a 40 pound wing. The size and shape of the wing will have an effect in the way it performs as well. Frankly at 40 pounds of lift you're starting to get into a wing that can handle doubles and for single tank diving that's unnecessary in my opinion.

Personally, I'd try to see if you could trade it for the 30 pound wing and start using the Halcyon for your every day diving duties. Or try to trade it for the 20 pound wing with an aluminum backplate and you've got an ultralight travel set up for tropical diving with a 3 mil wetsuit.

I'm still jelly you won something like that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:23:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#39]

You might feel a difference in terms of drag thru the water and trim. A 30 pound wing is going to behave differently in terms of buoyancy compared to a 40 pound wing. The size and shape of the wing will have an effect in the way it performs as well. Frankly at 40 pounds of lift you're starting to get into a wing that can handle doubles and for single tank diving that's unnecessary in my opinion.

Personally, I'd try to see if you could trade it for the 30 pound wing and start using the Halcyon for your every day diving duties. Or try to trade it for the 20 pound wing with an aluminum backplate and you've got an ultralight travel set up for tropical diving with a 3 mil wetsuit.

View All Quotes

Someone on SB told me the 28lb Trianta wing I have is a knockoff of Halcyon's 30 lb wing. The 28lb and 40lb wings are actually very similar in profile.

The Halcyon quick cinch harness is what makes this a major improvement for me since I can't get the damn shoulder straps to tighten at all on my Hollis Elite 2 harness on the 28lb wing. An instructor or dive buddy always had to do it for me. It was a major PITA since I felt like a toddler who couldn't get dressed to go outside without mom doing it for me!

And I'm still amazed I won something like this!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#41]
For shits and giggles, I inflated each wing and put them back to back to compare sizes. 40lb Halcyon on the left, 28lb Trianta on the right. 40 lb is a bit wider, but not by much.

Side view

Top view

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:31:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#42]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#43]
My advice is don't use any more lift than you need.

Small bladders mean less lead.

I use a Dive-Rite travel pack with Cave-Filled steel 95s (More like 130's at that pressure) and it only has 25lbs of lift.  I have a Voyager Wing that is like 35lbs too, it required more lead when I was running that with a back plate.

You in a dry suit, you have an additional means of lift if you need it.
View Quote

I was taught to add just enough air to my suit to offset squeeze, and to use BCD to control buoyancy, not my drysuit.

I'm going to try the Halcyon out next weekend at the quarry to see how it dives.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#44]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#45]
That's correct, you shouldn't as a routine practice but you can in the event your BC were to catastrophically fail.

It is a skill you should be trained in and practice first if you want to be able to use it correctly under stress.

My game plan if my BC fails is to drop my eight pounds and kick like hell if necessary.

I just always dive wet because:

1) I can easily pee whenever I want.

and

2) I can rock it like a hurricane.
View Quote

I've trained in it, but too many people seem to think their drysuit is a BCD for constant use that way.

I'm having a P-valve installed in my suit over the winter and I'll practice gluing a She-p to my lady bits before next season starts. It's either that or adult diapers. It's too much of a PITA dealing with the dry suit and porta potties at my usual dive sites. I have a hard enough time staying properly hydrated in regular life, let alone while diving.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I've decided I won't be diving Lake Huron/Thunder Bay/Alpena, MI next summer as I'll be spending so much $$ on the Little Cayman trip next August.  I'll do a few Lake Michigan boat trips out of Hammond next season to get used to diving off a boat before the Cayman trip.

No Florida trip this winter either. Budget doesn't allow it, sad to say. I'm going to get in the pool as much as I can over the winter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm canceling the Cayman trip, for a variety of reasons.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

So those credit card bills finally made their way to you and you realized just how expensive this hobby is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#49]

So those credit card bills finally made their way to you and you realized just how expensive this hobby is.
View All Quotes

Let's just say my friend I'd be going with expected me to do things I wasn't comfortable with in diving (going down to 100', swim throughs, etc) and still expected us to be buddied up, even though she needs someone much more experienced. She doesn't understand the concept of not doing things that make you uncomfortable. I'll be going on the Lake Huron trip instead. Much cheaper and what I really want to do.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Let's just say my friend I'd be going with expected me to do things I wasn't comfortable with in diving (going down to 100', swim throughs, etc) and still expected us to be buddied up, even though she needs someone much more experienced. She doesn't understand the concept of not doing things that make you uncomfortable. I'll be going on the Lake Huron trip instead. Much cheaper and what I really want to do.

View All Quotes

Allow me to suggest an easier and more friendly alternative: Bonaire, it's probably the easiest diving on the planet as 90% is from shore. The inside reef starts in about 25-30ish feet or so of water and you can take that as deep as 80-90 feet if you're so inclined. The outer reef usually starts at about 100 feet. The only challenge is making the actual shore entry, but tens of thousands of people do every year...you can too.

One of the most important things to keep in mind about Bonaire and this is very important is that there are no stop lights or stops sign on the island.

In so far as lake Huron is concerned: Keep going east over to the Canadian side and take a look at Tobermory. There are a lot of spectacular wreck to view there. Keep in mind there are some advanced dives there so wait until you get more experience and are more comfortable in the water but it's a great place to see some wrecks....Something to keep in mind.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top