Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 4 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the salads Chef.  I have been eating a lot of pasta, veggie, and fruit salads during the heat wave.  I'll give these a shot.
I've been on a pan sauce kick lately.  I find myself pan frying anything I can so I can deglaze the pan and make a sauce out of it.  I have the basics down and have been working with beef or chicken stock as a base.  I have also experimented with red and white wine depending on what I cooked.

What I need help with are some common herb, spice, and base combinations that work in different sauces and what works best for each protein.  

I have found that a pad of butter can turn an OK sauce into a great one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
was watching Dexter the other night and the crazy smart FBI guy was having a cucumber sandwich, and in the show the guy says "the secret is the cream cheese"

so, Chef, how about it?

well,,,

THe only secrets I can think of in a Cucumber sandwich are
1 Score the Cuc if don't skin it completely
2 SLICE the cuc in Paper thin slices
3 Seed the Cuc before slicing
4 Liberal amount of Fresh Cracked Pepper and lightly sprinkled with salt
5 WHIP the Cream cheese before spreading to the consistency of frosting
6,USE CREME FRECHE" instead of cream cheese...

bout it..
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been watching a lot of Indian cooking shows lately.  I am ready to start some experimenting.

You don't have a good Garam Masala blend do you?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:
I've been watching a lot of Indian cooking shows lately.  I am ready to start some experimenting.

Garam Masala is a combination spice used through out India and parts of South Asia.
like Curry, for every cook there is a personal Masala recipe and a wide variety is found across India.
Some common ingredients are black & white peppercorns, cloves, malabar leaves, , black cumin, cinnamon, black, brown, & green cardamom, nutmeg, star anise, and coriander seeds. Varying from village to city to grand house to tin shack.
Some recipes call for spices to be ground with water, vinegar, coconut milk, or other liquids, to make a paste. In some recipes nuts, onion or garlic may be added. The flavors may be carefully blended to achieve a balanced effect, or a single flavor may be emphasized.  

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cardamom seeds
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon, crushed
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon saffron  

Put the cumin, coriander, cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon, and cloves in a dry heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Toast the spices, stirring occasionally, until they turn several shades darker and give off a sweet smoky aroma, about 10 minutes. Do not raise the heat to quicken the process, or the spices will brown prematurely, leaving the insides undercooked. Cool completely.

Working in batches if necessary, transfer the mixture to a spice mill, coffee grinder or mortar and pistel and grind to a powder. Stir in the nutmeg and saffron. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place, it should keep fresh tasting about 3 months.

if you want something simpler..
Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
   * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Mix cumin, coriander, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a bowl. Place mix in an airtight container, and store in a cool, dry place.

for those who's Grandfather didnt do a 2 year tour serving the Queen in InjDya... here is a recipe for using Garam Masala..

Salmon garam masala with curry butter.
Ingredients

* 3/4 cup dry white wine
   * 1/2 cup heavy cream
   * 1/3 cup coconut milk
   * 2 tablespoons curry powder
   * 1 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
   * kosher salt to taste
   * 1/4 cup vegetable oil
   * 8 (6 ounce) fillets Alaskan king salmon
   * 2 tablespoons garam masala
   * kosher salt to taste

Directions

1. Pour white wine, cream, and coconut milk into a saucepan; season with curry powder. Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the liquid has reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes.
  2. When the liquid has reduced, turn heat to low, and whisk in the butter, a few cubes at a time, until all of the butter has incorporated. Do not allow the mixture to boil or else it will separate. When the butter has incorporated, season to taste with salt and set aside to keep warm.
  3. Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke. While the oil is heating, lightly season both sides of the salmon with garam masala and salt.
  4. Sear the salmon in the hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes on one side, then turn over, and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes until done. Briefly drain on paper towels to absorb excess oil, then serve immediately with the curry butter sauce.

Chicken garam Masala

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless chicken breast
1 tsp garam masala
5 green chillies (increase or decrease according to spiciness of the chillies)
1 tbsp ginger pieces
A pinch turmeric
1 tsp garlic pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped tomato
Oil
Salt

Method:
Grind green chillies and ginger to a paste. Drain any extra water from chicken pieces. Add this paste, garam masala, turmeric, salt to chicken pieces and mix well. Leave it aside for about 15mins.
Heat oil and add garlic. When they turn brownish, add onions and fry till they turn brown. Add chicken pieces and cook for about 3-4mins. Now add tomato pieces, cover and cook till chicken is completely cooked.
Remove the lid and keep stirring the pieces on a high heat till all the water is evaporated and pieces get a nice thick coating of masala.
Serve hot as a starter or with rotis/chapatis.

hope that helps

CHEF

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cutlass1972:
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
Hey Chef,

Got a good batter recipe for fish and chips?

Hello chef,

Did you miss this one?

As always, Thank you!

I did,,

Teaching a seminar till Monday, will get this asap

no worries. I figured you just overlooked it, but I did want your input.

Good luck with the seminar!

fish and chips,

garam masala

is english foot ball seasons starting up?

British food does not generally rank horribly high on the, "honey lets go eat out tonite" radar and there are NO fish and chip delivery services in the CONUS I am familiar with.
as a yout, there was a restaurant operated under the name of Arthur Treacher's fish and chips, think long johns, but far superior in my memories anyways..and long gone..
as are most memories of who Arthur Treacher was..

Ingredients:

i making TRUE fish and chips in the English method..this is fairly spot on!

* 4 cod fish fillets or 4 haddock fillets

* 1 cup plain flour
   * 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
   * 1 12 ounce British beer, or real bear like Shiner or flat tire works great as well
   * paprika
   * 1/2 lemon, juiced,

* 1/2 cup flour for dredging
   * salt & pepper

* 3 lbs potatoes, peeled & chipped
   * good quality canola or corn cooking  oil for a more autentic flavor, to get real authentic, best to use someting on the edge of burnt

Directions:

1. Heat oil up in a deep pan or automatic deep fat fryer 350 degrees is best.
  2. Peel the potatoes and cut into preferred shape. Rinse and dry thoroughly, leave in bowl, dry, coved with damp, wrung out towel.
  3. Fry chips for about 3 minutes until soft but NOT colored. Drain and shake well and set to one side.You're setting the potato for browning.

for the batter
combine flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and pepper into a large  bowl Add the beer gradually and whip lightly stop when you have a thick coating type of batter.  Whisk thoroughly until it is smooth and there are no lumps.Add the lemon juice and sprinkle lightly with the Paprika. Mix thoroughly again should have a slight orange tint from the Paprika.

Adjust deep fat fryer to fish frying temperature of 365
  rinse and pat dry your fish, lightly salt and pepper the fillets, Take one fillet of fish at a time and holding it by the thinner end dredge in in dry flour and then swirl it into the batter until well coated,, not forgetting the part your holding, then lift and allow a slight shake and drop of any excess batter and dip into hot oil slowly, releasing just before you begin to feel the heat of the oil on your hand, allow a few seconds for that piece to set the batter then proceed with the next..

the fish will puff up and cook in about 6 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness, usually the fish begins to float when "cooked". Place onto a paper lined tray and keep warm in the oven as you continue frying..once fish is fried and Holding..allow your oil to come to full heat of 350 and cook your potatoes until golden and crisp.
   lay out fried potato and fish on newspaper or plates and serve with malt vinegar.

for a bit spicer batter..
Ingredients

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
   * 2 tablespoons garlic powder
   * 2 tablespoons paprika
   * 2 teaspoons salt
   * 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
   * 1 egg, beaten
   * 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer

hope that helps

CHEF
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 7:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#6]

Garam Masala  

<SNIP>

CHEF

Thank you sir.  I'm going to ask a follow up question.  I've got a good Mediterranean restaurant and a good Asian market that sell a lot of different spices, but I am having a hard time finding things like tamarind and fenugreek seed.

Do you have a reputable online herb and spice monger for the harder to get items?

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Garam Masala  

<SNIP>

CHEF

Thank you sir.  I'm going to ask a follow up question.  I've got a good Mediterranean restaurant and a good Asian market that sell a lot of different spices, but I am having a hard time finding things like tamarind and fenugreek seed.

Do you have a reputable online herb and spice monger for the harder to get items?

I have used both Atlantic spice house and been referred to the spice house
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh great and powerful Chef.... Unless I missed it in the index, I cannot find a Lasagna recipe....

#1 son wants to cook on Tuesday night and wants a recipe from "That AR Cooking dude"....

Thanks in advance..
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By goatkisser:
Oh great and powerful Chef.... Unless I missed it in the index, I cannot find a Lasagna recipe....

#1 son wants to cook on Tuesday night and wants a recipe from "That AR Cooking dude"....

Thanks in advance..

hope he gets this in time..

."AR cooking dude:

SAUCE

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
   * 1 cup chopped onion
   * 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled carrots
   * 2 tablespoons minced garlic
   * 8 ounces lean ground beef
   * 6 ounces spicy Italian sausages, casings removed
   * 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
   * 1/4 cup tomato paste
   * 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
   * 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
   * 1 tablespoon dried oregano
   * 1 bay leaf
   * 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

* 15 lasagna noodles (about 12 ounces)

* 2 15-ounce containers part-skim ricotta cheese
   * 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
   * 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed dry
   * 2 large eggs

* 4 3/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 1 1/4 pounds)

FOR SAUCE:
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic; sauté until softened, about 12 minutes. Add beef and sausages to pan; sauté until cooked through, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until flavors blend and sauce measures about 5 cups, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Cool.

FOR LASAGNA:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Drain; cover with cold water.Keep em wet when handling or you're asking for problems.

Combine ricotta and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese in medium bowl. Mix in spinach. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs.

Drain pasta and pat dry. Spread 1/2 cup sauce over bottom of 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Place 5 noodles over sauce, overlapping to fit. Spread half of ricotta-spinach mixture evenly over noodles. Sprinkle 2 cups mozzarella cheese evenly over ricotta-spinach mixture. Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce over cheese, spreading with spatula to cover (sauce will be thick). Repeat layering with 5 noodles, remaining ricotta-spinach mixture, 2 cups mozzarella and 1 1/2 cups sauce. Arrange remaining 5 noodles over sauce. Spread remaining sauce over noodles. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese evenly over lasagna. (Can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.) Cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake lasagna 40 minutes; uncover and bake until hot and bubbly, about 40 minutes. Let lasagna stand 15 minutes before serving.

picks mandatory..
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
fluffy?
why were you in a nice restaurant with your dog?  

ok, easy one for you, making the classic pastrami Ruben

BUT
when I warm up the pastrami on the grill (flat grill) it gets dried out.

got a better way to warm that up?

(fresh jewish deli rye, boar's head pastrami, little german guy at the farmer's market sauerkraut, Ken's 1000 island dressing, swiss cheese)

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
fluffy?
why were you in a nice restaurant with your dog?  

ok, easy one for you, making the classic pastrami Ruben

BUT
when I warm up the pastrami on the grill (flat grill) it gets dried out.

got a better way to warm that up?

(fresh jewish deli rye, boar's head pastrami, little german guy at the farmer's market sauerkraut, Ken's 1000 island dressing, swiss cheese)

ok,,

I'll let you in..

inside the Chefs Circle of Secrets.

DOWN HERE  

slice your Corned beef very thin.

layer it onto a full sheet of paper towel as you would want it presented on your sandwich.

now..gently roll the paper towel and envelope the ends UNDER the now paper wrapped beef. patting it gently..

THEN MICROWAVE for about a minute,

then roll it out on your grill and cook a bit of the steam off and give the edges a few crusty morsels...

beyond that, just lay it out, turn it a few times  and pay attention to it, baby it, nurture it...or you'll dry it out..

all I got, sorry..

seriously, just high heat, very quick and you cant walk away from it..coddle it a bit..

chef
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Temp lock
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Hello chef!

I have a question for you. Do you have a method for making good fresh hash browns? I have extremely mixed results on hash browns. I have made some really good ones, and I have had them turn into a sticky gooey mess. I have learned the it helps to rinse and drain your potato's after you shred them to remove some of the loose starch, I then put them in a large kitchen towel and squeeze as much moisture out as I can but I still have mixed results.

Any advice?

., using fresh potatoes to make hash browns is an iffy venture, it can work, and that rinse and hold helps,  but will continue to be hit and miss as the sugar content from end to end in a potato can change and that sugar, caramelizing is what gives hash browns that shiny brown appearance. Unless you use Paprika
IF you insist on using fresh potatoes, , toss your potatoes with Paprika prior to cooking

best bet?
blanch your potatoes prior to grilling.it sets the sugar levels end to end and gives you consistent flavor and even browning through out.

peel, par boil, about 1/2 cooked, then cool, shred, store COLD, take out and brown up as needed, again, with paprika tossed in will give you an even browning it is more optional if you are blanching the potatoes, but Still helps in getting an evenly colored appearance,
finish with salt and pepper just before serving,,,,(salt especially and black pepper break down rapidly on potatoes losing flavor impact,)

I prefer Smothered in Extra Onions on mine, like 2/3 onion to 1/3 potato and fresh cracked pepper,,
and hunts Ketchup, I Used to like Heinz,,then John Kerry ran for POTUS and I discovered the connection......haven't bought a HEINZ product since..
or just best yet,  just the onions,

want something a bit different, toss in Curry Powder with the spuds as they're browning...
CHEF

hmmm... parboiling first... Interesting. I will give this a try. I have for some time used previously baked and refrigerated potatoes for sliced and fried potatoes. that works great!
I have tried mixing in shredded onion before, they tend to come out more like latkes with a gooey center. This is good too!

I will also have to try the paprika trick. Curry sounds like an interesting twist. Even just a light dusting of turmaric sounds good too.

Once again, thank you for your insight!
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Hello chef!

I have a question for you. Do you have a method for making good fresh hash browns? I have extremely mixed results on hash browns. I have made some really good ones, and I have had them turn into a sticky gooey mess. I have learned the it helps to rinse and drain your potato's after you shred them to remove some of the loose starch, I then put them in a large kitchen towel and squeeze as much moisture out as I can but I still have mixed results.

Any advice?

., using fresh potatoes to make hash browns is an iffy venture, it can work, and that rinse and hold helps,  but will continue to be hit and miss as the sugar content from end to end in a potato can change and that sugar, caramelizing is what gives hash browns that shiny brown appearance. Unless you use Paprika

IF you insist on using fresh potatoes, , toss your potatoes with Paprika prior to cooking

best bet?

blanch your potatoes prior to grilling.it sets the sugar levels end to end and gives you consistent flavor and even browning through out.

peel, par boil, about 1/2 cooked, then cool, shred, store COLD, take out and brown up as needed, again, with paprika tossed in will give you an even browning it is more optional if you are blanching the potatoes, but Still helps in getting an evenly colored appearance,

finish with salt and pepper just before serving,,,,(salt especially and black pepper break down rapidly on potatoes losing flavor impact,)

I prefer Smothered in Extra Onions on mine, like 2/3 onion to 1/3 potato and fresh cracked pepper,,

and hunts Ketchup, I Used to like Heinz,,then John Kerry ran for POTUS and I discovered the connection......haven't bought a HEINZ product since..

want something a bit different, toss in Curry Powder with the spuds as they're browning...

CHEF

And Hunt's doesn't use HFCS anymore.

Thanks for the hash brown tips.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 12:00:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#16]
I was going to whip up a Tres Leche cake, but I am out of cream or even half and half.  Can I get away with using 2% milk?

I was going to try Alton Brown's recipe.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tres-leche-cake-recipe/index.html
ETA:  I am going to skip the icing, obviously I would need the cream for that.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:

Hello chef!

Any advice?

best bet?

CHEF

And Hunt's doesn't use HFCS anymore.

Thanks for the hash brown tips.

youre welcome...
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MEDIKEIGHTED:
that bread looks delicious

thank you,

was not feeling the love...

you're very welcome.  I don't have the patience/I'm too lazy to bake very often and always appreciate those who do.  Pasta and bread are 2 of my favorite things in the world.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Chef, I have a peacock in the fridge, Any suggestions? I am thinking about braising it with a marsala and mushroom sauce, or I could use a bottle of prosecco??? I am at a loss here.

Peacock is a dark, sweet, juicy meat similar to duck but far less fatty.
I would recommend "barding" IE wrapping bacon or rubbing/injecting with butter or olive oil.

Roasting or braising will bring out its unique and delicate flavor; do not overcook peafowl as it totally destroys the delicate flavor and drys the bird out quickly.
A good herbal pairing would be a good oiled rub with "herbs du provence American", or simply, fresh rosemary and a bit of thyme.

Roasted or braised root vegetables or squashes are  good sides,    

you can also use several of the duck recipes and some Indian/Asian fowl recipes takes well to peacock as well but keep in mind there is far less fat in the land locked bird.

Peacock can also be cooked with a forcemeat(stuffing) as you would cook a stuffed, roasted turkey,(I advise against stuffed,roasted birds)

When roasting, around 350 degree at 20 min per pound would be a good guide.

Herbs d Provence is a reasonably new "blend" that showed up in the 1970's in the attempt to give a standardized flavor profile representing the Provence region of France.
it is a mix of dried herbs from the region, in the USA we added a bit of lavender to increase the bouquet of the standard herb blend..

Ingredients
   * 2 tablespoons dried lavender
   * 2 tablespoons dried savory
   * 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
   * 2 tablespoons dried thyme
   * 2 tablespoons dried oregano
   * 2 tablespoons dried basil
   * 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
   * 2 tablespoons dried fennel seed

Directions

In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Store in an air-tight container.

Here is a recipe from around 60 years ago..Peacock hasnt been a staple in AmeriEuro kitchens since probably the 1700's, I recall reading a recipe a while ago from the 1500's but couldn't see where the end result was edible

Roast  Peacock

Stuff the peacock with forcemeat.
Tie it for roasting and roast  350° F.for about 20 minutes per pound, or until well browned and tender, basting frequently with melted butter.
Serve hot with pan gravy or cold with chopped jelly (think they are implying a chilled consume, it was a common side once upon a time)and cold sauce poivrade.

Forcemeat, soak 1 pound of bread crumbs in milk and press out the moisture. Combine it with 1 pound of chopped beef marrow, the peacock liver, finely chopped, 10 shallots or 1 onion, chopped and saute'd in butter until tender, 1 tablespoon each chopped green celery leaf and parsley, and a little sage, marjoram, and thyme. Season with cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.(this SHOULD be cooked separately in it's own pan but as we have learned about cross contamination and improper temps are problematic, your call)

Sauce Poivrade

To 6 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan, add 1 carrot and 1 onion, both diced, and cook until they are golden-brown. Add 1/2 cup flour, mix together, and cook until the flour turns golden-brown. Add 3 cups brown stock or double-strength beef consomme (beef tea and beef consomme were widely used into the 70's but the salt content is HORRIBLE) and 1 cup tomato purée, mix well with a whip, and cook, stirring until well blended. Add 3 or 4 sprigs of parsley, 1 bay leaf, and a little thyme. If any bones of the game are available, brown them well in the oven and add them. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming as needed.

Put 1/2 cup vinegar and 6 peppercorns, crushed, in a pan and cook until the liquid is reduced to about one third the original quantity. Strain the sauce into the reduced vinegar mixture and cook all together for about 30 minutes, skimming carefully as the fat rises. Add 1/2 cup red wine to finish the sauce.

hope that helps

CHEF

Thanks Chef, what internal temp would you recomend? what type of vinegar?  Could a stock made from the back and wings of the bird be used in the sauce

I have broken down the bird already into a bone in breast, thighs/legs, and back with wings to roast for stock. Does this affect the plan? Space was tight since one of our fridges broke down and I was trying to reduce the footprint.

I am thinking about injecting and barding the breast and roasting it along the lines you suggested, I've got Herbs d Provence in the pantry, and the rest of the ingredients.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Chef, speaking of bread, do you have any suggestions in the line of home-baked hamburger buns?
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Chef, I have a peacock in the fridge, Any suggestions? I am thinking about braising it with a marsala and mushroom sauce, or I could use a bottle of prosecco??? I am at a loss here.

I would recommend "barding" IE wrapping bacon or rubbing/injecting with butter or olive oil.

Roasting or braising will bring out its unique and delicate flavor; do not overcook peafowl as it totally destroys the delicate flavor and drys the bird out quickly.
A good herbal pairing would be a good oiled rub with "herbs du provence American", or simply, fresh rosemary and a bit of thyme.

you can also use several of the duck recipes and some Indian/Asian fowl recipes takes well to peacock as well but keep in mind there is far less fat in the land locked bird.

Peacock can also be cooked with a forcemeat(stuffing) as you would cook a stuffed, roasted turkey,(I advise against stuffed,roasted birds)

Herbs d Provence is a reasonably new "blend" that showed up in the 1970's in the attempt to give a standardized flavor profile representing the Provence region of France.
it is a mix of dried herbs from the region, in the USA we added a bit of lavender to increase the bouquet of the standard herb blend..

Ingredients

Directions

In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Store in an air-tight container.

Here is a recipe from around 60 years ago..Peacock hasnt been a staple in AmeriEuro kitchens since probably the 1700's, I recall reading a recipe a while ago from the 1500's but couldn't see where the end result was edible

Roast  Peacock

Tie it for roasting and roast  350° F.for about 20 minutes per pound, or until well browned and tender, basting frequently with melted butter.
Serve hot with pan gravy or cold with chopped jelly (think they are implying a chilled consume, it was a common side once upon a time)and cold sauce poivrade.

Forcemeat, soak 1 pound of bread crumbs in milk and press out the moisture. Combine it with 1 pound of chopped beef marrow, the peacock liver, finely chopped, 10 shallots or 1 onion, chopped and saute'd in butter until tender, 1 tablespoon each chopped green celery leaf and parsley, and a little sage, marjoram, and thyme. Season with cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.(this SHOULD be cooked separately in it's own pan but as we have learned about cross contamination and improper temps are problematic, your call)

Sauce Poivrade

To 6 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan, add 1 carrot and 1 onion, both diced, and cook until they are golden-brown. Add 1/2 cup flour, mix together, and cook until the flour turns golden-brown. Add 3 cups brown stock or double-strength beef consomme (beef tea and beef consomme were widely used into the 70's but the salt content is HORRIBLE) and 1 cup tomato purée, mix well with a whip, and cook, stirring until well blended. Add 3 or 4 sprigs of parsley, 1 bay leaf, and a little thyme. If any bones of the game are available, brown them well in the oven and add them. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming as needed.

Put 1/2 cup vinegar and 6 peppercorns, crushed, in a pan and cook until the liquid is reduced to about one third the original quantity. Strain the sauce into the reduced vinegar mixture and cook all together for about 30 minutes, skimming carefully as the fat rises. Add 1/2 cup red wine to finish the sauce.

hope that helps

CHEF

Thanks Chef, what internal temp would you recomend? 165
what type of vinegar?Apple cider
Could a stock made from the back and wings of the bird be used in the sauce Yes

I have broken down the bird already into a bone in breast, thighs/legs, and back with wings to roast for stock. Does this affect the plan? No, just truss it up like Frankenstein
Space was tight since one of our fridges broke down and I was trying to reduce the footprint.

I am thinking about injecting and barding the breast and roasting it along the lines you suggested, I've got Herbs d Provence in the pantry, and the rest of the ingredients.

great,

post pics?

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Andras:
Chef, speaking of bread, do you have any suggestions in the line of home-baked hamburger buns?

I have always admired a nice set of buns....

perfect rounded tops, just a bit of springy-ness to make you appreciate their reality...yet firm enough to bounce a quarter off of...

and HOME MADE ones are the best way to go..

and a basic yeast roll gets you the nice fluffy ones

Ingredients

* 2 cups warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
   * 1/4 cup margarine, melted
   * 1/4 cup warm water
   * 1/4 cup white sugar
   * 2 (.25 ounce) packages instant yeast
   * 2 teaspoons salt
   * 6 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed

Directions

1. In a large bowl, stir together the milk, margarine, warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
  2. Mix in the salt, and gradually stir in the flour until you have a soft dough. Divide into 25 pieces, and form into balls. Place on baking sheets so they are 2 to 3 inches apart. Let rise for 20 minutes.
  3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the rolls for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool slightly, then split them in half horizontally

CHEF

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Ingredients

Directions

Roast  Peacock

Sauce Poivrade

hope that helps

CHEF

I have broken down the bird already into a bone in breast, thighs/legs, and back with wings to roast for stock. Does this affect the plan? No, just truss it up like Frankenstein
Space was tight since one of our fridges broke down and I was trying to reduce the footprint.

great,

post pics?

Frankenpheasant?
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Ingredients

Directions

Roast  Peacock

Sauce Poivrade

hope that helps

CHEF

great,

post pics?

Frankenpheasant?

why not, if the fat guy in Louisana can have TurDucEn, we can have Frankenpheasant
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#25]

OFF THREAD
dear readers...

I have puppies and they look too tough to cook...even with a long stewing..so if you know someone in DFW that Is wanting a new easter baby, Let me know asap please

Please read the thread in the Texas HTF..

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I seen it enough times on No Reservations that I have to try it now.

Let's talk about Ceviche, sometimes spelled Seviche, I'm not sure which one to use.

Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#27]
a member asked how to keep food hot for transportation from house to house...here was my responce

alum foil
bath towels
COLEMAN ice chest other quality brands may work, cheap ones I wont guarantee.
few gallons of "Steaming" hot water

30 min prior to the ribs, brisket, chicken etc is to come of the flames

take a large COLEMAN ice chest,
fill it with steaming hot water, close lid

Remove meat from fire and immediately Wrap cooked meat in aluminum foil

dump hot water from ice chest
lay out foil wrapped meat, layer with bath towel, repeat
can also add corn, potatoes, sealed container of beans etc, doing the same thing, and
WORK FAST you do not want the chest to get cooled off while you're diddling around
should keep the DRY food edible and warm, 140 degrees for about 4 hours, sliced meat, Beans, BBQ sauce, stay hotter longer than ribs, chicken sausage,
too much air surrounds the meat, cools off faster..its a physics thing

CHEF
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#28]
great tip Chef!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I didn't see this asked/posted in the thread, so I thought I'd share a see where this goes...

Why is it that people think they can bake a potato wrapped in tin foil. Shouldn't the tin foil trap the water vapor that the potato lets off and there by cause the potato to be steamed, not baked? I've tried both methods and have personally found that baking potato's without tin foil seems to taste slightly better, but perhaps it's my imagination. Chef, would you mind clarifying for me if my theory is indeed correct, or am I just over thinking this?
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By geneSW:
I didn't see this asked/posted in the thread, so I thought I'd share a see where this goes...

Why is it that people think they can bake a potato wrapped in tin foil. Shouldn't the tin foil trap the water vapor that the potato lets off and there by cause the potato to be steamed, not baked? I've tried both methods and have personally found that baking potato's without tin foil seems to taste slightly better, but perhaps it's my imagination. Chef, would you mind clarifying for me if my theory is indeed correct, or am I just over thinking this?

To me there is a taste difference, certainly a texture difference. the skin doesnt crisp up propertly to be a true "baked" potato
the best way to bake spuds is to lightly oil the freshly washed potato and roll it lightly in Kosher salt/black pepper mix, bake about 45-50 min at 400dgr

I prefer mine with fresh Butter, with lots of freshly cracked black pepper

wrapping in foil, came along some time before I picked up my first saute pan
I have to assume, the potato being an ugly little turd on the plate, that some highfalutin Chef(probably a Frenchman) decided to wrap them up in shiny foil to give them a more attractive
appearance on the plate next to that whopping $2. steak and succulent asparagus..you paid an extra quarter for...and it does "steam" the potato, I recall some where in my
youth, they were called steamed potato rather than baked, was the rare 100% honest Chef ran that place

hope that helped

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ClanDireWolf:
Hey Chef, welcome back. Sorry for your loss though.

I'm making some pork bbq for sandwiches and made a batch of the sandwich rolls you posted a while back. I made a half batch to start with

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/rcsg_2009/buns1.jpg

I made 8 instead of the 12 called for and wish they were a little bigger so I may try for 6 rolls next time. There's 7 in the pic since I ate one when they were still hot! I used 2 cups white and 1 cup wheat flour for this half-batch. I knead them on cornmeal for a bit of taste and there's some still on the top of the rolls.

WHERE?

I'm in need of a good hamburger/hotdog bun recipe. The bakery, that made a killer bun, has gone the Gordons way!

looking in the index..not sure which recipe was being used..I will look and see..
Maybe Andras can come and tell us. I will IM him..
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#33]
[/quote]looking in the index..not sure which recipe was being used..I will look and see..
Maybe Andras can come and tell us. I will IM him..[/quote]

I looked under bun, hamburger bun, sandwich bun, breads and nothing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 7:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#34]
Hi Chef, I see the IM but for some reason I can't read it until I get home in a couple days.

CDW- the bun  recipe was posted halfway down page 5 in this thread.

perfect rounded tops, just a bit of springy-ness to make you appreciate their reality...yet firm enough to bounce a quarter off of...

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup warm water
   * 1/4 cup white sugar
   * 2 teaspoons salt

Directions

1. In a large bowl, stir together the milk, margarine, warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
  2. Mix in the salt, and gradually stir in the flour until you have a soft dough. Divide into 25 pieces, and form into balls. Place on baking sheets so they are 2 to 3 inches apart. Let rise for 20 minutes.
  3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the rolls for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool slightly, then split them in half horizontally

CHEF

Chef- the buns turned out a little heavy for burger buns, is there something that can be done to 'fluff up' the bread?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Hi Chef, I see the IM but for some reason I can't read it until I get home in a couple days.

CDW- the bun  recipe was posted halfway down page 5 in this thread.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup warm water
   * 1/4 cup white sugar
   * 2 teaspoons salt

Directions

CHEF

Chef- the buns turned out a little heavy for burger buns, is there something that can be done to 'fluff up' the bread?

Thanks!

if your water temp was not to hot for your yeast...you can reduce the flour by 1 cup that will lighten the batch up a bit,
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Feral:
Rhubarb Dumplings
Ingredients

Thanks, Chef!

you are welcome, thank you, we havnt coverd this fairly common, yet uncommon ingredient in my memory here..
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#39]
Chef, I've been making my own bread lately
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/rcsg_2009/bread1.jpg
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/rcsg_2009/bread2.jpg

And have been pleased with the results. I've started slitting the top to let it rise as you see, and brushing melted butter on the top while it cooks to make the top crust softer.

I've been cooking for 30 minutes at 350*, but would like to know if I can cook it longer at a lower temp to make a softer crust?

I found this recipe on the web and it's basically what I've been doing:

Amish White Bread makes 2 loaves
2 cups warm water (110degrees)
1/2 cup white sugar
11/2 Tablespoons active dry yeast ,
11/2 teaspoons salt,
1/4 cup vegetable oil,
6 cups flour ~~

I add 1/2 stick butter also.

looks GREAT...thank you for sharing!

I am now baking my own at home, no longer using the crutch of the bread machine, though when it's 106 outside, I may revert..

I will try your recipe with a bit of  honey, no sugar or oil..(damn diet.)35# to go.  

you may want to try 105/106 for your water temp for packaged yeast..and do you put a bit of sugar in the yeast water when setting it aside to ferment before mixing?
and
Place a pie pan 1/2 full of water and put a bit of steam in your oven for softer crust..I bake at 375 as I like the additional bloom from the dough hitting the heat and also prefer crusty bread, match's my personality..
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Chef- the recipe I used had directions for proofing the yeast with sugar, but the quick-rise yeast packets I got skipped that step. Basically, I mix all the liquids (including the melted butter) with the sugar and salt. Then add 2 cups of flour and the yeast. Mix, then add the 4 remaining cups of flour one at a time, plus another 1/4 cup of water as I go. I also tried adding a cup of corn meal in place of 1/2c of flour for the second batch, but I couldn't really tell a difference. This time I used all flour, but used the cornmeal on the surface when kneading the bread and shaping the loaves. You can see bits of cornmeal on the surface of the bread in the pics.

recipe directions
In large bowl dissolve sugar in warm water then stir in yeast

Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam..

Mix salt & oil into the yeast,
mix in flour, one cup at a time
Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth
place in well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat .
cover with damp cloth, allow to rise until doubled about 1 hour
Punch dough down, knead for a few minutes on lightly floured surface and divide in half .
Shape into loaves and place into two well oiled 9X5 inch loaf pans allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough had risen 1 inch above pans Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Chef- the recipe I used had directions for proofing the yeast with sugar, but the quick-rise yeast packets I got skipped that step. Basically, I mix all the liquids (including the melted butter) with the sugar and salt. Then add 2 cups of flour and the yeast. Mix, then add the 4 remaining cups of flour one at a time, plus another 1/4 cup of water as I go. I also tried adding a cup of corn meal in place of 1/2c of flour for the second batch, but I couldn't really tell a difference. This time I used all flour, but used the cornmeal on the surface when kneading the bread and shaping the loaves. You can see bits of cornmeal on the surface of the bread in the pics.

recipe directions
In large bowl dissolve sugar in warm water then stir in yeast

Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam..

Mix salt & oil into the yeast,
mix in flour, one cup at a time
Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth
place in well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat .
cover with damp cloth, allow to rise until doubled about 1 hour
Punch dough down, knead for a few minutes on lightly floured surface and divide in half .
Shape into loaves and place into two well oiled 9X5 inch loaf pans allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough had risen 1 inch above pans Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

Salt and Yeast is a bad blend. salt kills fungus..and snails

you may get lighter bread if you add the salt in at the punch down, remix V from the start up.
Sugar or honey added to the yeast water mix, may, I say MAY be a bakers secret, I just looked at two different brands of yeast on my pantry shelf and neither mention sugar water in the process. I also let the yeast "set", making the mixture prior to assembling the bread mix in the bowl. This gives the yeast time to activate and get a head start on the fermentation process.
you're bread LOOKS great..and if you're happy, leave it alone and move on to the next recipe

I am going to attempt to make my own "mother" this week, IF I REMEMBER I will take pic's my old one was lost in my last divorce married to a CHEF for 7 years, you'd think she knew to leave my "mother" alone

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Chef,

Can I "re-purpose" our our home-canned pizza sauce into enchilada sauce? What spices would I use to do that? The pizza sauce is spiced pretty conventionally with garlic, black pepper and oregano. I have the usual Mexican spices at hand, and also leaf Mexican oregano.

We have a surplus of pizza sauce, but no enchilada sauce.

I pretty much have to 'say no' to storebought enchilada sauce––it all tastes like dung to me.

TIA.

yes you can...yes you can, barak hussian obama Hmm Hmm Hmm, yes you can...

wait...sorry listening to Rush..

ok

here is a basic enchilada sauce preparation..remember that it is basically pureed peppers and water/chicken stock, thickened with roux or masa
you can use this recipe and follow the cooking of the peppers and add comparable amounts of your pizza sauce in lieu of all the other ingredients and tighten it with a bit of roux  .
I have done it,to use up tomato sauce and a purist is gonna carp about tomatoes in enchilada sauce but if YOU like it..go for it!!!. try a quart and see if you like it.

Ingredients

* 3 large ancho chile peppers
   * 3 large pasilla chile peppers
   * Water to cover
   * 2 cloves crushed garlic
   * 1 onion, chopped
   * 4 tablespoons butter
   * 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   * 3 cups chicken stock
   * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
   * Salt to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place chile peppers on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven until slightly toasted. (Note: When you can smell them, they're done.)
  3. Remove from the oven and slit them open. Remove the seeds and veins, then put them in a bowl with boiling water to cover. Allow them to sit for 30 minutes, then remove them from the water, reserving the water. Scrape the pulp from the insides of the chile peppers and discard the skins. (Note: The skins will give the mixture a bitter flavor.) Return the pulp to the water and set aside for later.
  4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the garlic and onion in the butter or margarine for 5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add the flour and mix well. Add the stock, stirring until thickened, and then add the reserved chile pulp mixture. Finally, add the oregano and the cumin.
  5. In a blender or food processor, puree the mixture until smooth. Season with salt to taste.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#45]
The enchilada sauce from pizza sauce worked out nicely, Chef.

I had to cut a few corners because of time constraints, but nobody noticed the difference.

glad to be of service,,and sometimes cutting corners brings better results.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#46]
May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!
a happy and safe St Patrick's day to all my readers...
Chef

Beer braised Beef and Colconnon

Ingredients

* Irish Stew:
   * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
   * 1 (3 pound) beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
   * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   * 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
   * 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
   * 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
   * 2 bay leaves
   * 1 teaspoon dried thyme
   * 1 teaspoon salt
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
   * 2 cloves garlic, minced
   * 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
   * Calcannon:
   * 3 slices bacon
   * 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
   * 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
   * 1/4 cup milk, warmed
   * 2 tablespoons butter
   * 1/2 teaspoon salt
   * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
   * 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until very hot, and brown the meat in 2 batches, stirring to brown the cubes on all sides. Return all the meat to the Dutch oven, sprinkle with flour, and stir lightly to coat the meat with flour. Stir in onion, carrots, dark beer, bay leaves, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, and cover.
  3. Place the Dutch oven into the preheated oven, and cook for 45 minutes; uncover, stir the stew, and cook until the beef is very tender and the liquid is reduced by half, about 45 more minutes.
  4. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
  5. About 30 minutes before the stew is ready, make the colcannon: Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two.
  6. Place the cabbage into a microwave-safe bowl, and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave on High for about 2 1/2 minutes; uncover (watch out for steam) and stir the cabbage. Cover and microwave for about 2 1/2 more minutes, until the cabbage is slightly tender but not mushy. Drain excess liquid, and set the cabbage aside, covered.
  7. Place the potatoes into a large bowl, and add milk, butter, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Beat the potatoes with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Stir in the cabbage, crumbled bacon, and parsley until well combined.
  8. To serve, place a scoop of colcannon onto a plate, make a hollow, and fill with braised beef stew.

Corned Beef and Cabbage
Ingredients

* 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
   * 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
   * 1 pound baby carrots
   * 3 cups water
   * 3 garlic cloves, minced
   * 1 bay leaf
   * 2 tablespoons sugar
   * 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
   * 1/2 teaspoon pepper
   * 1 (3 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet, cut in half
   * 1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges

Directions

1. Place the onion, potatoes and carrots in a 5-qt. slow cooker or large pot on low heat (temp around 200degrees). Combine water, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, vinegar, pepper and contents of spice packet; pour over vegetables. Top with brisket and cabbage. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Shortbread Cookies
add any ingredients you wish, currents, raisins, dried cherries, even a bit of chocolate
Ingredients

* 1 cup white sugar
   * 2 cups butter, softened
   * 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
   * 2 tablespoons white sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of sugar until very fluffy. Gradually add the flour and rice flour. As the dough gets stiffer, turn it out onto a well floured surface, and knead it until smooth.
  3. Press dough into a cookie sheet, score into bars and prick with a fork. Sprinkle remaining sugar over the top, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cut along scored lines into bars while still warm. Cool before serving.

CHEF
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks Feral

on this Memorial day, when getting that perfect brisket ready, while your making the BEST Dry rub for those ribs and are cranking out the Nathans Hot Dogs.

PLEASE at 3pm take a moment to remember all gave some, some gave all, a Toast and a prayer for those left in the mud and blood...

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

May God bless his most beloved, our Warriors for Freedom
CHEF

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
     Between the crosses, row on row,
  That mark our place; and in the sky
  The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
  Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
  The torch; be yours to hold it high.
  If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#49]
May I have your source for the truffle post?  It has a few clickable links I am interested in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the salads Chef.  I have been eating a lot of pasta, veggie, and fruit salads during the heat wave.  I'll give these a shot.

I've been on a pan sauce kick lately.  I find myself pan frying anything I can so I can deglaze the pan and make a sauce out of it.  I have the basics down and have been working with beef or chicken stock as a base.  I have also experimented with red and white wine depending on what I cooked.

What I need help with are some common herb, spice, and base combinations that work in different sauces and what works best for each protein.  

I have found that a pad of butter can turn an OK sauce into a great one.

BUTTER was a gift from God, along with beer....and Chefs use butter in EVERYTHING that is why good in very expensive restaurants, especially those with classicly trained culinarians with French, Swiss and German training,,,BUTTER Goes in every thing....hmm hmm hmm

Try balsamic vinegar as a glazier with all but shrimp(overbearing). and good rich Beer on occasion with chicken and pork dishes,,stout with beef...rice wine for an asian flare..
for veggies, shallots, green onion, small garlic bulbs minced, and I think I have recomended before, there are 1/2 doz or more salt free herb blends on the grocer shelves, play with those a bit for a few different taste profiles, learn from their ingredient labels what blends work well to your pallate and what herb goes with what spice...it is the least expensive way to learn from someone else's experiences and experiments..

hope that helps..
CHEF
Page / 39
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 4 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top