Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 38 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Chef, hot damn that was amazingly tender. I seasoned the meat and seared in batches to not crowd the pan.

Those pan drippings made a tasty sauce. I’m hoping to stumble upon that deal again. What red wine would you use for a sauce, could I use a bourbon instead?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
Chef, hot damn that was amazingly tender. I seasoned the meat and seared in batches to not crowd the pan.

Those pan drippings made a tasty sauce. I’m hoping to stumble upon that deal again. What red wine would you use for a sauce, could I use a bourbon instead?
View Quote

wine,,best you can afford..left over from last months dinner to $2buck chuck...the alcohol cooks off and the wine reduces and sweetens as the sugars break out..
bourbon. brandy both sweet liqours do the same..sear your beef with shallots, saute some mushrooms, whole pepper corns, you can also add some minced carrot, onion, bell pepper and celery
and once the veggies are al dente flash the pan with bourbon or brandy and add some whole butter...drop the beef back in and serve it up..
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Chef, what's the quickest, simplest demi glace you know how to make? And some applications for it I might not have thought of?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I need to read through all of this.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Merrell:
I need to read through all of this.

View Quote

well if not now when? if not you, Who?

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:
Chef, what's the quickest, simplest demi glace you know how to make? And some applications for it I might not have thought of?
View Quote

there is no way to make a demi glace quickly. you can make a brown gravy quickly with beef base, roux, you can make a pan sauce/glace
after pan searing beef and deglacing the pan and adding beef drippings and reduce...

sorry...
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:

there is no way to make a demi glace quickly. you can make a brown gravy quickly with beef base, roux, you can make a pan sauce/glace
after pan searing beef and deglacing the pan and adding beef drippings and reduce...

sorry...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

sorry...

Let's go full time then. Basically, you make stock, then reduce it with red wine down to a syrup like consistency?

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Let's go full time then. Basically, you make stock, then reduce it with red wine down to a syrup like consistency?

View Quote

basically yes,,be sure to roast your veal bones before starting the reduction, this give you color and depth to the finished product
once the stock is complete, Mior Poix, roasted veal bones etc starts to come to a thicker consistency thnen remove bones, strain, add red wine and continue reduction until it fully clings to a ladle for 2 dips, dip once, clings, dip again, clings to original dip with out being drippy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]

basically yes,,be sure to roast your veal bones before starting the reduction, this give you color and depth to the finished product
once the stock is complete, Mior Poix, roasted veal bones etc starts to come to a thicker consistency thnen remove bones, strain, add red wine and continue reduction until it fully clings to a ladle for 2 dips, dip once, clings, dip again, clings to original dip with out being drippy.
View All Quotes

Right on. I'll be trying that when my butcher re opens.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, and I'm not sure if she even carries veal. Will standard beef bones do?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, and I'm not sure if she even carries veal. Will standard beef bones do?
View Quote

they will..sometimes your demi may not be as sweet..other times there's little difference, it is down to nuances in my book, other opinions may vary.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Chef,

When you roast your bones, do you season or oil them? Or is it straight in the oven?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Chef, hope the times find you well. I'm just now getting started on this thread, fantastic information and thank you very much. I've made it to page 11 and saw your Gumbo recipe. I have a question on the roux that you list at the bottom of the recipe. In the ingredients you list 2 cups flour and 3/4 cups bacon grease, but in the instructions you say to use 1.5 cups bacon grease. This has me confused and as I'm a total beginner, old fart with few cooking skills, I ask for clarification.
Thanks and have a great day.
Ricky
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey chef, I want to make some single serve lasagnas in ramekins, and freeze them for later consumption. Do you have any techniques or tips to cook them thoroughly, without ending up with burned edges to the pasta and cheese? That seems to be my Achilles Heel with making baked pastas.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Chef,

When you roast your bones, do you season or oil them? Or is it straight in the oven?
View Quote

Sorry billyhill

JUST been busy...
I season with salt, pepper, garlic, onions, carrots, parnips, turnips, any kind of nips you want to roast down with some flavor for savoring while
starting the demi..
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Southtek:
Chef, hope the times find you well. I'm just now getting started on this thread, fantastic information and thank you very much. I've made it to page 11 and saw your Gumbo recipe. I have a question on the roux that you list at the bottom of the recipe. In the ingredients you list 2 cups flour and 3/4 cups bacon grease, but in the instructions you say to use 1.5 cups bacon grease. This has me confused and as I'm a total beginner, old fart with few cooking skills, I ask for clarification.
Ricky
View Quote

old too and not at my stove and my recipes are generally close and sometime taken from a couple of sets of books or memory castles at the same time...
that said, start with the 3/4 and add up to 1.5 beyond that it's gonna be too greasy..
sorry for the misteps, sometimes I just ain't payin attention....Chef
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#17]
What about venison bones for a stock? Good?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey chef, I want to make some single serve lasagnas in ramekins, and freeze them for later consumption. Do you have any techniques or tips to cook them thoroughly, without ending up with burned edges to the pasta and cheese? That seems to be my Achilles Heel with making baked pastas.
View Quote

Got ya,,,had to think a minute,,my immediate thought on ramikins was 1 to 3 oz...but I know what I call cassaroles are also raminkins...duh..

that said

low and slow, drop your temp 50 degress in the oven and use your thermometer to get the internal heat right, they let them set and cool before freezing..

or cook a full pan and cut them to fit the dishes your saving them in and

OLD CHEFS TRICK

lay a CLEAN damp, not wet, not dripping water, DAMP towel over your lasagna when first placed in the oven, allow this to steam the top of your dish for the first 30 min.
remove now dry (mostly) towel and top the lasagna with sauce and cheese and allow to finish the remainder of the cooking time. remove from oven and notice far fewer over cooked edges
then cool, cut in to service size portions and eat or cool longer in refer cut and freeze..

help?

thanks
Chef
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Got ya,,,had to think a minute,,my immediate thought on ramikins was 1 to 3 oz...but I know what I call cassaroles are also raminkins...duh..

that said

low and slow, drop your temp 50 degress in the oven and use your thermometer to get the internal heat right, they let them set and cool before freezing..

OLD CHEFS TRICK

lay a CLEAN damp, not wet, not dripping water, DAMP towel over your lasagna when first placed in the oven, allow this to steam the top of your dish for the first 30 min.
remove now dry (mostly) towel and top the lasagna with sauce and cheese and allow to finish the remainder of the cooking time. remove from oven and notice far fewer over cooked edges
then cool, cut in to service size portions and eat or cool longer in refer cut and freeze..

help?

thanks
Chef
View All Quotes

that said

OLD CHEFS TRICK

help?

thanks
Chef

Great tip, exactly what I was looking for!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]

old too and not at my stove and my recipes are generally close and sometime taken from a couple of sets of books or memory castles at the same time...
that said, start with the 3/4 and add up to 1.5 beyond that it's gonna be too greasy..
View All Quotes
Ricky

Thanks Chef, wound up making the roux with vegetable oil as I didn't have enough bacon grease. My son and I are going to make the Gumbo a bit later today. I'll post some pics and let you know how it turned out. wish us luck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#21]
What about venison bones for a stock? Good?
View Quote

sure, if you like venison a WHOLE lot..it' liable to be gamey

Chef
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Thanks Chef, wound up making the roux with vegetable oil as I didn't have enough bacon grease. My son and I are going to make the Gumbo a bit later today. I'll post some pics and let you know how it turned out. wish us luck.
View Quote

Great look forward..
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Great look forward..
View Quote

Well it turned out real good! Forgot to take pics, also forgot to put the shrimp in it. I had stuck the shrimp back in the icebox after shelling them for the stock and forgot to get them out. I did sub crawdad tails for for oysters also. Overall very pleased and have enough left over for tomorrow. Thanks chef!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Well it turned out real good! Forgot to take pics, also forgot to put the shrimp in it. I had stuck the shrimp back in the icebox after shelling them for the stock and forgot to get them out. I did sub crawdad tails for for oysters also. Overall very pleased and have enough left over for tomorrow. Thanks chef!
View Quote

You're welcome
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#25]

sure, if you like venison a WHOLE lot..it' liable to be gamey

Chef
View Quote

That is what I was afraid of
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#26]

That is what I was afraid of
View Quote

just taking experience from cooking lamb shanks..that stock left is REALLLLYYY "lamb-y".
I always used demi and added a wiff of the natural lamb bastings, too much lamb for my taste
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#27]
No good beef bones available in my podunk area without ordering ahead and paying 4 bucks a pound. Any recommendations on improving boxed stock?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#28]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
No good beef bones available in my podunk area without ordering ahead and paying 4 bucks a pound. Any recommendations on improving boxed stock?
View Quote

yea, they've gotten real proud of what is turned into soap/bone-meal/chicken feed/and of course paste,used for food and powder, used for glue, gelatin. medicines. calcium and phosphorus processing.

no, no real substitution which is why they are up there $$ with ground beef* sorry @billyhill, gonna have to preorder..OR buy bone in cuts, prime rib most common, and save the bones. save your stock from
roasts etc..
Chef

*which may contain beef paste made from ground up bones.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey Chef, are y’all still hanging in there?

Do you how to blend some Italian herbs and garlic with balsamic vinegar (going to put on for a glaze) to put on some oven roasted pork spare ribs?

Long story short, there was a food festival at EPCOT at Disney World that had those last November.

The name of the dish with description was:
Costine di Maiale: Balsamic-glazed and Oven-roasted Pork Ribs
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Do you how to blend some Italian herbs and garlic with balsamic vinegar (going to put on for a glaze) to put on some oven roasted pork spare ribs?

Long story short, there was a food festival at EPCOT at Disney World that had those last November.

View Quote

simple, mix your herbs and garlic with the vinegar, cook the mixture at a low simmer in a well vented kitchen until it
reduces by about 1/3 and you have your balsamic herbal glace. mix with a bit of olive oil and slather your pork so to speak..

or dip some crusty French bread into it and enjoy

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#31]

simple, mix your herbs and garlic with the vinegar, cook the mixture at a low simmer in a well vented kitchen until it
reduces by about 1/3 and you have your balsamic herbal glace. mix with a bit of olive oil and slather your pork so to speak..

View All Quotes

Thank you sir! Any suggestions on spice combination ratios?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Sorry, missed something...need to read slower...
Mix 3 cups balsamic vinegar with 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 minced garlic cloves 1/2 tsp of oregano, 1/2 tsp dry marjoram, 1/2 tsp dry basil  in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until glaze is reduced by 1/3 to 1/2 half, about 15-20 minutes. Glaze should coat the back of a spoon. Let cool and pour into a jar with a lid; store in refrigerator.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Mix 3 cups balsamic vinegar with 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 minced garlic cloves 1/2 tsp of oregano, 1/2 tsp dry marjoram, 1/2 tsp dry basil  in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until glaze is reduced by 1/3 to 1/2 half, about 15-20 minutes. Glaze should coat the back of a spoon. Let cool and pour into a jar with a lid; store in refrigerator.
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok,
Got my first BBQ pork shoulder on, and I'm pulling it in about 45 minutes for it's final rest.  Howsabout a good slaw recipe....BUT a non "creamy" one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:25:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345] [#35]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Ok,
Got my first BBQ pork shoulder on, and I'm pulling it in about 45 minutes for it's final rest.  Howsabout a good slaw recipe....BUT a non "creamy" one.
View Quote

I’ve been using curtido (a Salvadoran slaw)
https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/curtido/

Mexican oregano if you have it.  Sometimes you have to play with the amount of vinegar to get the taste exactly where you want it  

Works pretty good on pulled pork sandwiches

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Ok,
View Quote

sorry

been busy...

I REALLLYYY Like a simple Asian style slaw with pork.. cabbage, onion, bell pepper carrots, jicama all cut into appropriate size and mixed with a sesame seed oil and rice vinegar with a bit of sugar, salt and pepper
sorry, don't have exacts..it's an on the fly recipe I favor and i don't write down such things..
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345] [#37]
@douglasmorris99

I was getting some steaks for valentines and I bought this chuck roast for the hell of it along with the steaks.

Any recipes you suggest?

I open to pretty much whatever and have the equipment to do most types of cooking. Seems to me that it would be a waste to make chili with a prime cut..  

thinking maybe something other than the traditional roast...
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
@douglasmorris99

I was getting some steaks for valentines and I bought this chuck roast for the hell of it along with the steaks.

Any recipes you suggest?

I open to pretty much whatever and have the equipment to do most types of cooking. Seems to me that it would be a waste to make chili with a prime cut..  

View Quote

not at my desk....
glad to answer...but can you send me a PM to remind me Monday/::
please?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#39]

not at my desk....
glad to answer...but can you send me a PM to remind me Monday/::
please?
View Quote

Will do....if I remember (and have power)
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
@douglasmorris99

Any recipes you suggest?

View Quote

I'm not a chef, but a good chuck could be the base for several things, including a great chili!

I'd probably make beef bourginoun.

My method:

Prep: Dice a large red onion, and cut 4 to 5 peeled carrots into med sized chunks, and press(preferred) or mince an assload of garlic. 5 GOOD sized cloves.

Cook off a # of bacon in a dutch oven until rendered. (You can use a large pot if that's what you have)

Remove the bacon, leave the bacon fat.

Cut the roast into large cubes. salt and pepper the meat, then brown in a single layer in the bacon fat on all sides. remove to a plate and continue until all meat is browned. Remove all meat,  Keep heat on, and add the onion and carrots. Stir that around and stir up the brown bits in the pan. Add salt and pepper between every step. Add garlic, keep stirring, then add a small can of tomato paste..6oz? Stir that into the veg, and keep stirring. It needs to change color from red to brickish, almost brown.

Add the meat back into the pan, then drop in a bottle of Red wine. I use Cab. (Pro-tip...Trader joes has "two buck Chuck" drinking wine that I use to cook with)

add beef stock to cover the meat, if the wine doesn't do the job. Add in fresh thyme and a bay leaf if you have it, if you don't dried thyme will have to do. Bring to a boil.

If you have a dutch oven, you would cover it and put it into a 325 degree oven for a few hours now. If you are using a pot, cover and lower the heat to low for a few hours.

Finishing is a matter of preference. I saute sliced portebella mushrooms in butter and garlic until browned and reduced, then add that in...the classic recipe calls for frozen baby onions at this point.

Serve over mashed potatoes.

God, typing this up makes it sound way more involved then it actually is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Don’t worry...doesn’t come off as too involved. Sounds good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#42]
I am going to post you up some pictures Chef. I was thinking about you as I made it. Thanks for everything.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#44]
You have a been a great teacher and a wonderful resource.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#45]
You have a been a great teacher and a wonderful resource.

Thanks again.
View Quote

You flatter me sir.  You're welcome
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey chef- got any tips for flank steak that doesn't involve fajitas or derivatives thereof?

Got a great cut, want to do something fun with it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Cole2534:
Hey chef- got any tips for flank steak that doesn't involve fajitas or derivatives thereof?

Got a great cut, want to do something fun with it.
View Quote

OK<
we got the Soprano's version  
BRACCIOLI
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
1 pinch salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil, or more if needed
2 pounds flank steak, pounded until thin
5 toothpicks, or as needed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 pinch white sugar
1 tomato, chopped, or more as needed

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion in the hot oil until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.

Mix parsley, garlic, Parmesan cheese, egg, 1 pinch salt, and 1 pinch pepper in a bowl; drizzle in about 1 tablespoon olive oil, while continually stirring, until a sticky consistency is reached.

Spread parsley filling in a thin layer atop flank steak; roll steak in a jelly-roll style and fasten ending piece to steak with toothpicks to contain filling.

Pour remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil into skillet with onions over medium heat; cook steak roll in the onion mixture, turning steak until browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add tomato sauce, sugar, and chopped tomato to the steak mixture; simmer over very low heat until steak is cooked through and sauce has slightly reduced, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

or
Rolaude
1 flank steak, trimmed
salt and ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup dry bread crumbs, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon dried currants
1 tablespoon pine nuts, or to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 ounce thinly sliced pancetta
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
3 cups tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
¾ cup white wine
1 bay leaf
water to cover

Butterfly the steak by cutting horizontally into the long side of the steak, through the middle, to within one-half inch of the other side. Open the steak and spread the sides out like an open book. Cover the steak with plastic wrap and pound it with a meat mallet to give it an even surface. Discard the plastic wrap.

Season steak with salt and pepper. Scatter 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, parsley, currants, and pine nuts over the steak; season with cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes. Spread slices on the steak and sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and remaining bread crumbs over the top.

Roll up meat firmly, starting at a cut-end, and set seam-side down. Use kitchen twine to tie steak at 1-inch intervals. Season with salt.

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook steak until brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side.

Pour tomato sauce, chicken broth, white wine, and bay leaf into the pot; add enough water to just cover the steak. Bring liquid to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover pot with a lid, and braise until meat is fork-tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Transfer meat to a plate to rest for 10 minutes before slicing across the grain.

Increase heat to medium-high and cook liquid until it is reduced and slightly thicker, about 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over sliced beef.

or, use your imagination following the basic recipe, ,,try adding thick cut bacon. or feta or or provolone or a nice mushroom duxxelle

Chef

thanks for asking, thought the thread was gonna dry up and blow away..
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#48]
@douglasmorris99

The index shows a recipe for fish tacos on page 17, but I didn't see it. If you have one, would you mind posting it or pm'ing me it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By xwarp:
@douglasmorris99

The index shows a recipe for fish tacos on page 17, but I didn't see it. If you have one, would you mind posting it or pm'ing me it?

Thanks!
View Quote

sure, will get a recipe posted in the morning..
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By xwarp:
@douglasmorris99

Thanks!
View Quote

didn't see it in a quick peruse in either thread on page 17, I didnt check the whole thing after the kindness of a fellow arfcommer did all the work to create it

may be there but I didnt dwell into the threads to deep in my search..easier to do this

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chipotle Lime Dressing
this yields 6 servings

Marinade
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 ½ teaspoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay™
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into chunks

Dressing
1 (8 ounce) container light sour cream
½ cup adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay™
salt and pepper to taste

sides and garnishments
1 (10 ounce) package tortillas
3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 small head cabbage, cored and shredded
2 limes, cut in wedges

make the marinade, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, honey, garlic, cumin, chili powder, seafood seasoning, black pepper, and hot sauce in a bowl until blended. Place the tilapia in a shallow dish, and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover, and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.

make the dressing, combine the sour cream and adobo sauce in a bowl. Stir in the lime juice, lime zest, cumin, chili powder, seafood seasoning. Add salt, and pepper in desired amounts. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Set grate 4 inches from the heat.

Remove fish from marinade, drain off any excess and discard marinade. Grill fish pieces until easily flaked with a fork, turning once, about 9 minutes.

Assemble tacos by placing fish pieces in the center of tortillas with desired amounts of tomatoes, cilantro, and cabbage; drizzle with dressing. To serve, roll up tortillas around fillings, and garnish with lime wedges.

or

down and dirty

¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 jalapeno pepper, halved lengthwise
2 ½ cups shredded red cabbage
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into strips
8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Mix sour cream and lime juice together in a large bowl; season with salt and black pepper. Reserve about half the mixture in another bowl for serving. Mince half the jalapeno pepper; save other half for later. Toss cabbage, green onions, and minced jalapeno half in remaining sour cream mixture until slaw is well mixed.

Heat olive oil and remaining jalapeno half in a large skillet over medium heat; swirl oil to coat skillet evenly. Season tilapia fillets with salt and pepper. Pan-fry fish strips in the skillet in 2 batches until fish is golden brown and easily flaked with a fork, 5 to 6 minutes. Discard jalapeno half.

Heat tortillas in the microwave on high until warm, 20 to 30 seconds.

Serve fish in warmed tortillas topped with cabbage slaw, reserved sour cream mixture, and cilantro.

hope that helps

CHEF
Page / 39
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 38 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top