Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Berkut- by Joseph Haywood, I read this about 20 years ago, I wish I could find it again, but is a good read.  fiction

Flyboys: Thought this was a good read as well.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RVwannaB] [#2]
Just finished A long way gone; Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

I usually read military history or leadership type books, so this is not normally my kind of reading, but it was an eye opening read.  It's about his life as a young boy, turned soldier, in war torn Sierra Leone.  Would be a great read for every high school senior...before they go to college and turn into idealistic hippies.  When you think this is a bad country, think about what these people went through.  I don't exactly fear a rebel force coming in and ravaging my town, raping my sisters and burning my house with my family in it!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The Worldly Art of Wisdom by Baltasar Gracian
Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
Meditations of Marcus Areulius by Marcus Areulius (of course)
Art of War  by Sun Tzu
Common Sense, and The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine

Those will keep almost any mind churning for a while.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I am now reading "HOGS In The Shadows" by Milo Afong. It is about Marine Scout Snipers in Iraq.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
My recommendations to parents trying to get their kids to put down the video game control and read a book, buy books about the games they like.  I, for instance, love the novels about Halo, and I have gotten all my friends to read them and they loved them.  The Fall of Reach and First Strike are particularly good, as is The Ghosts of Onyx.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

I would rate this as one of the top 5 books I have ever read.  A story about Louie Zamperini, a Olympian runner turned B-24 Bombardier, during WWII.  When his plane crashes into the Pacific, his pilot and him float on a life raft for 40ish days and are captured by the Japanese.  It cover his time as a POW, and the years following his release and his struggle with PTSD.  Another great Salute to our greatest generation...we owe so much to them!

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

Not sure if it's already been recommended but this is another great read.  It follows Mr Mason through Army Helo training, his tour in Vietnam flying Heuy's, and his struggle with PTSD.  It's a great read from a pilot who isn't exactly sold on the war, but flew his a$$ off and did his duty.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
War by Junger
House to House by Bellavia

Both excellent!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By code99:
The Road by Cormac McCarthy––––-Excellent post-apocalyptic/post-SHTF book.

This led me to read No Country for Old Men which is also excellent.

Even better is Blood Meriden about the post civil war western expansion.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Currently finishing up a good read,  "Reluctant Warrior"

Wriiten by Marine Corps lieutenant Mike Hodgkin's

Tells about his experience with the first reconnaissance battalion in the later  days of Vietnam

I'd definitely recommended it to someone looking for a book to pick up
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have some time, At Dawn We Slept is a great read.  It's long but a historically accurate telling of the events leading up to Pearl Harbor
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Just finished "Escape From Baghdad" from Capt. James Ashcroft. It is an excellent read but you need to read "Making A Killing" first.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#12]
For the SciFi fans..
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#13]
To The Limit  by Tom Johnson.  Wonderful firsthand account from an Air Cav Huey Pilot in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 10:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mclovin5-0] [#14]
American Tabloid by James Ellroy, first fiction I've read in a while. It's all about political shadiness in the '50's and '60's
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I am not a Sci Fi guy, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Windup Girl, it provided a fantastic and plausible world of genetic modifications and a world without petroleum fuel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Brute by Robert Coram  

Follows the life/career of  Lt Gen Krulak and his fight to keep the U.S. Marines alive.

One Square Mile of Hell by John F. Wukovits

Great book about the battle of Tarawa.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Great book:

Ender's Game

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Night Soldiers by Alan Furst
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follet
The Saxon series by Bernard Cornwell
James Rollins books
The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith
Invintaion to Valhalla by Mike Whicker
One Second After by Will Forstchen
Patriots by James Rawles
Red Storm Rising By Tom Clancy
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Haven't read through this thread in awhile, so not sure if anyone recommended it, but Lee Child's Jack Reacher series is really good.

Just started reading it myself. Haven't been reading them in order but I've read 3 or 4 of them. Good books that are hard to put down that's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The Unincorporated Man
The Unincorporated War

Some interesting concepts in both.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Liberty Defined; Ron Paul

It's a quick read, and almost like a series of essays. (Great as a travel or airplane book) Some very good arguements and perspective, highly recommend.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Big James Ellroy fan, everything I've read has been highly enjoyable.

Exceptions: The Cold 6000 (meh), and Suicide Hill (garbage)
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#23]
A Dance With Dragons
by George R.R. Martin.

The fifth in the series of A Song of Ice and Fire A Dance with Dragons runs for its first half concurrent in time-line with the prior A Feast for Crows, but then half way through progresses the time line. All the old favorites are back in DWD that have been absent for 11 years since A Storm of Swords was first published.  We also have an introduction to some new characters and some of those are killed off and we are left with a lot of cliff hangers that are not resolved awaiting the sixth book, which will probably take another half a decade to be published.  

Overall, I like the story and have found it very easy to read for long hours. In fact, it's hard to put down.  I'm not a fantasy reader and this is the first time I've sat down and read an entire series like this, but I'd read through the whole thing again it was so good.  I highly recommend it for hours of enjoyment with just shy of 1,000 pages.  However, you will not want to read DWD without reading the prior books in order first.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 11:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caretames1] [#24]
I have a suggestion for some FREE, yes I said free online reading. You enjoy Zombie fiction? This is Zombie fiction at it's finest!

Welcome to Adrian's Undead Diary. Adrian Ring is our intrepid hero here, having just barely survived a world consuming apocalypse of the undead.  Adrian's Diary chronicles his battles with the zombie hordes and his ongoing struggle with survival.  Read and understand exactly how he has lived up to today, avoiding starvation, zombies, injuries, fellow survivors, and sickness, as well as sharing in his humor and his horror.

AUD entries are "written" in real time by the character Adrian Ring.  The entry you read today here is the entry that he wrote today in his world.  Every time Adrian reminisces, or experiences something new, he talks to his Diary.  In this way you share in his unfolding horror, one moment at a time.  Adrian writes three to five Diary entries a week, so check back in often to stay current.

AUD also features pieces of fiction that are set in Adrian's world.  Reading AUD means reading the short stories as they intersect with the Diary.  There are links inserted into the Diary entries telling you when you should read what stories.  In order for you to fully enjoy AUD, please read the stories when you see the links.  Once you're caught up with Diary and the short stories, you can read the entries as they're posted, and the short stories as they're released.

We are not only attempting to share some high quality zombie, undead and horror genre fiction, but also to build a friendly community of like minded folks!

General Disclaimer for the sensitive of feelings, and weak of heart: The Diary, the short stories, our chatroom and our forums are intended for mature adults.

This Diary will suck you in from the very first entry! Give it a try!  www.adriansundeaddiary.com
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By votefromrooftops:
"Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow
"Brave New World" by Huxley
"Stranger In A Strange Land" by Heinlein  
"John Adams" by McCullough
"Black Hawk Down" by Bowden
"In the Name of the Rose" by Eco
"The Fall of Lucifer" by Wendy Alec
"The Divine Invasion" by Phillip K. Dick
"Genghis Khan" by Weatherford
"Rainbow Six" by Clancy

Rainbow Six was great! I love the Clancy novels that involve John Clark. With that being said Without Remorse was awesome and a great read. It's pretty much the tale of how John Clark made his way in to the CIA. I couldn't put this book down.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Everyone knows Michael Crichton, right?

After he died a few years ago, a complete manuscript was found in his files, and subsequently published.

http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books-piratelatitudes-us.html

Damn, what a great read.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fish223:
Everyone knows Michael Crichton, right?

After he died a few years ago, a complete manuscript was found in his files, and subsequently published.

http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books-piratelatitudes-us.html

Damn, what a great read.

Yes, I agree!  That book had a great story and some history.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Seal Team Six
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#29]
just finished- Big Boy Rules (contracting in iraq)
                  - Black Light (bob lee swagger series)

reading now - Shooter (sniping in iraq)
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Just finished Clancy's newest  "LOCKED ON", an excellent read.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Matterhorn, Karl Marlantes.  I couldn't put it down.

But, I'm not a Marine and I wasn't alive during the Vietnam War.

Anyone else read it yet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#33]
The Pirate by Frederick Marryat
Free on Project Gutenberg
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#34]
10th Mountain in Afghanistan, 2006.

Stories of PJs in Afghanistan

TACPs in Afghanistan and Iraq

SF in Afghanistan, Operation Anaconda-related

SF and Rangers in Afghanistan, Operation Anaconda (Takur Ghar)

Rangers in Afghanistan, Operation Anaconda (Takur Ghar)

All of these are nonfiction, usually first-hand accounts of modern war. I liked all of them and would recommend them all highly.

This one's fiction about basically post-EMP TEOTWAWKI survival. It's pretty cool and thought provoking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm finishing up a series called The Camel Club by David Baldacci. I really enjoyed it.

http://davidbaldacci.com/books/3_camel-club/

Lots of domestic espionage and action. I have read much better authors, but this guys imagination is incredible. I'm going to check out his other books after this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Just finished One Second After very good book just wished it were broken into more chapters. Very believable and realy sad to think things could go down hill so fast
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#37]
This book is non-tactical, but is informative and interesting, none the less: The Omnivore's Dilemma: A natural history of four meals by Michael Pollan.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I just finished reading Behind The Green Mask: U.N. Agenda 21, written by Rosa Koirie, who found out the hard way, how our property rights are being stolen from right under our noses. It's an easy to read book, and provides real life advice on how to fight back. If you want to see more reviews, Click Here
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Joe Ledger novels.

nice for fun reading and very action packed and funny.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Finished Service by Marcus Luttrell a few weeks back. OUTSTANDING READ!!

I finished Savages by Don Winslow, which the movie is based upon. It is very interesting. For not smoking weed, it is pretty fascinating. Now I am reading Kings of Cool, which is the prequel to Savages.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#42]
A Confederacy of Dunces  Unbelievably funny

Cryptonomicon funny and brilliant and awesome.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Just finished ONE SECOND AFTER, great read, makes you think about what would happen around your town, state, whatever area if all power was lost. No more stores, food, water.
Gave the book to my mother and see what she thinks. She works for the fire dept. and is in to being prepared.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Blue Plague: The Fall by Thomas A Watson

This is a badazz book! Downloaded it on my Kindle for $3.99
Love to have the survival type set up these people have.
Oh and the Guns. [/blue]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Some of you may disagree with these due to the controversy but I loved A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard by James Frey.  I read those books a long time ago and they have stuck with me and kept me out of dark places.

Other great books IMO are: No Easy Day by Mark Owen and The Heart and The First by Eric Greitens. (I am on a Navy SEAL's kick lately)
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I just finished the Devil's Fire and the second book in the series, The Devil's Tide. I picked the first one up on a whim. It was free at the time for the Kindle. It was really good! So I picked up the second one and read it right afterward. Great books in the pirate genre.

It is only available for the Kindle as of right now.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Devils-Fire-Adventure-ebook/dp/B005GL93LA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350242191&sr=8-1&keywords=the+devils+fire

http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Tide-Fire-Book-ebook/dp/B008KYG72S/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1

The third book is being released shortly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't know if you are still looking for Berkut.
I found it on Alibris.com

Originally Posted By 6731HBAR:
Berkut- by Joseph Haywood, I read this about 20 years ago, I wish I could find it again, but is a good read.  fiction

Flyboys: Thought this was a good read as well.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I just finished reading, "If a Pirate, I Must Be", by Richard Sanders.  

It is the true story of Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts, the most successful pirate of the early eighteenth century.  It was a very
good read with lots of surprising information on piracy, the eighteenth century slave trade, the conditions on commercial sailing vessels; the
brutally high mortality rates among sailors from malaria, poor diet, overwork and maltreatment, etc.; a real eye opener.

Arrrgh!  
(BTW, Pirates never said, "Arrrgh")
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Coolio:
I just finished reading, "If a Pirate, I Must Be", by Richard Sanders.  

It is the true story of Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts, the most successful pirate of the early eighteenth century.  It was a very
good read with lots of surprising information on piracy, the eighteenth century slave trade, the conditions on commercial sailing vessels; the
brutally high mortality rates among sailors from malaria, poor diet, overwork and maltreatment, etc.; a real eye opener.

Arrrgh!  
(BTW, Pirates never said, "Arrrgh")

+1

Good stuff!

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#50]
i recently finished "one second after" i highly recommend it to everyone here
Page / 5
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top