Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 10:41:41 AM EDT
You all have been extremely helpful in another thread critiquing my writing.  Now I could use your help with something else.  I'm having a hard time thinking of topics to address.  So, are there any questions or issues you would like to see addressed from a Christian perspective that would be appropriate for a small-town newspaper?

I write for a small weekly paper in rural Missouri.  Rural = I live in the county seat (less than 2,000 population).  I live 3 blocks from the courthouse and I've had deer, foxes and bobcat in my backyard.  I would say at least 30-50% of the town has visited our church for at least a wedding.  

My average reader probably has a high-school education and works at his job while running 100-200 head of cattle on the side or he works at his job and helps at a small farm.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Visit message boards like this one and look at what people are discussing.  Then be prepared for the flames.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you prayed about it?  Think about what your town needs to hear, not what we want you to talk about.  (I'm assuming you're a Christian.)  May the Holy Spirit guide you in your choice of articles, in your writing, and in your life.  I'll pray for you.  May the Lord be with you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people in rural areas are more concerned with what is going on locally than nationally.  That is probably true for most areas, actually.  Look at what is going on locally, along with some of the national happenings with more immediate impact, and draw your issues from those.

You know better than the people on this board what the people in your town need to hear and are interested in.  The big national and international goings-on are fine, but people like to see things that have immediate relevance to their lives.  Your points will make a stronger impression if the readers are provided with a tangible foundation to tie these points to.

Also, when you are suffering from writer's block, don't try to force it.  Go do something else, read about something else, pray on it, and take your inspiration from life.  You'll find that ideas come easier from experience than from imagination.

I'm also interested in how the blood drive article went over.  It was very direct and had a bit of a shock element to it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Big Louie,

Good Advice.

I've only received one comment on the blood drive article.  It was positive.  Of course, since the guy who said it was at the last blood drive with me he's probably a little biased.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You all have been extremely helpful in another thread critiquing my writing.  Now I could use your help with something else.  I'm having a hard time thinking of topics to address.  So, are there any questions or issues you would like to see addressed from a Christian perspective that would be appropriate for a small-town newspaper?

I write for a small weekly paper in rural Missouri.  Rural = I live in the county seat (less than 2,000 population).  I live 3 blocks from the courthouse and I've had deer, foxes and bobcat in my backyard.  I would say at least 30-50% of the town has visited our church for at least a wedding.  

My average reader probably has a high-school education and works at his job while running 100-200 head of cattle on the side or he works at his job and helps at a small farm.

Suggestions?

Get personal, vulnerable....speak about whats going on on the inside of yourself, the things that you are struggling with , the things that you think, the things that God is sayin to you....get REAL! Now is the time!! People are looking for meat....they are looking for love.....they are looking for the REAL thing: Jesus Christ in YOU!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's where I'm going next with the column.  I think I'm going to do a series on parenting.

First column:  Talk to your kids.  A recent article advertised drug testing kits for parents.  My take:  If you don't know if your kids are on drugs you need to spend more time with them.  

Second column:  Inspired by a thread in the GD.  Parents are responsible for their kids' education.  Schools and libraries can help, but its up to us to teach our kids.

Third column:  Be the parent.  There are decisions your children are not equipped to make, that's why you are there.  There is nothing wrong with telling them what to do.

Comments?

TJ, you asked what my audience is expecting?  The paper here isn't very professional.  My column simply has whatever title I give it and is put in whereever they have space.  I doubt it has the popularity where people are looking for it . . . yet  Do you think I should talk to the editor and try and get my picture in there?  Should I come up with a name for my column?  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's where I'm going next with the column.  I think I'm going to do a series on parenting.

First column:  Talk to your kids.  A recent article advertised drug testing kits for parents.  My take:  If you don't know if your kids are on drugs you need to spend more time with them.  

Second column:  Inspired by a thread in the GD.  Parents are responsible for their kids' education.  Schools and libraries can help, but its up to us to teach our kids.

Third column:  Be the parent.  There are decisions your children are not equipped to make, that's why you are there.  There is nothing wrong with telling them what to do.

Comments?

Yes, I have a comment. I hope in all these columns you are able to offer scriptural examples. The Bible contains plenty of teaching material. I hope you rely on it.

Which small town in Missouri?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I sometimes quote Scripture.  I always have Scriptural principles in mind.  I try not to beat people over the head with it.  

I'm in Milan.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm in Milan.

Is Poole Hardware still in business? What about the Stanley hotel?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm in Milan.

Is Poole Hardware still in business? What about the Stanley hotel?

Yes and Yes
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Give it a Title like "Strait Talk" but be sure thats what you Give them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top