Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 10:47:53 AM EDT
Mt GF has a 97 Ford Explorer she never drives. I filled it up with 93 octane, dumped a bottle of drygas in it and took off. Man! what a beast. It surges and misses. engine rus good until you put it under load. Then it misses. I have a 99 Jeep that gives me no problems(all compuiter controled) and the Lexus is .....well no problem.
I know nothing about Fords. Can anybody shed some light on this problem.(water in tank?, bad gas?)
I'm stumped.
Thanks
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:20:07 PM EDT
I have an '01 with the 4.0 v6 that was doing the same thing.
I replaced the plug wires and sparkplugs, and my baby is running like new again!
I suspect the same thing with yours. But I've also heard of ignition coils occasionaly going bad.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:46:37 AM EDT
Most likely it's tune up related, if theres no check engine light on then I would check the fuel filter first, especially if it's been sitting a while, and then the plugs, wires and air filter.

As posted by Sean0352, plugs/wires breaking down are a very common contributor to misfires under load, but I suspect you may also have a partially restricted fuel filter.

Pull the fuel filter and if the gas inside is darkish in color, replace it. Then inspect the plugs/wires, replace if needed. Pay attention to the air filter too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:55:33 AM EDT
Is it possible the wiring is damp from the truck not being used?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:59:13 AM EDT
Thanks Guys!
I'm off to check it out.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:04:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:09:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By oneshot1kill:
Most likely it's tune up related, if theres no check engine light on then I would check the fuel filter first, especially if it's been sitting a while, and then the plugs, wires and air filter.

As posted by Sean0352, plugs/wires breaking down are a very common contributor to misfires under load, but I suspect you may also have a partially restricted fuel filter.

Pull the fuel filter and if the gas inside is darkish in color, replace it. Then inspect the plugs/wires, replace if needed. Pay attention to the air filter too.

+1 on the above. How many miles are on it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:21:11 PM EDT
curious as to engine size

4.0L ohv
4.0L ohc
5.0L ohv

I'm gonna have to go with a secondary ignition related fault as well

Gary

Top Top