Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 1:02:31 PM EDT
Ok

I have a DSL modem set up on my PC, Westgate 6100. The DSL modem is connected to the PC via one of the network cards.  The PC has two netwrok cards. I also have a wireless router, it's a linksys WRT54G.

I want to share the DSL connection wirelessly with my wifes laptop PC. The laptop has a 802.11g wireless network card built in.

What is the most secure way to share my internet connection with what I have?

Before I had the modem hooked up to the PC with USB, then I bridged the modem to one of my network cards. That network card connected to the wireless router, which was acting like a wireless hub.

This worked, but I don't think it's the best way. I fiddled with the set up and now I can't get that method to work anymore.

So what is the best way to do this and how do I do it?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok

I have a DSL modem set up on my PC, Westgate 6100. The DSL modem is connected to the PC via one of the network cards.  The PC has two netwrok cards. I also have a wireless router, it's a linksys WRT54G.

I want to share the DSL connection wirelessly with my wifes laptop PC. The laptop has a 802.11g wireless network card built in.

What is the most secure way to share my internet connection with what I have?

Before I had the modem hooked up to the PC with USB, then I bridged the modem to one of my network cards. That network card connected to the wireless router, which was acting like a wireless hub.

This worked, but I don't think it's the best way. I fiddled with the set up and now I can't get that method to work anymore.

So what is the best way to do this and how do I do it?

Thanks guys.

1) DSL plugged into the Wireless router via ethernet cable.
2) Use ethernet (patch cable) from router to your pc.
3) Setup the wireless network using MAC address filtering, WPA if available, if not use WEP. Turn off broadcasting

This will have both pc's behind the hardware firewall in the wireless router, which will protect you a little bit more. No need for any software firewalls.

-d
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top