Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 4:57:07 PM EDT
My sister-in-law has a PC with Windows 2000 on it. Her Norton expired 4 months ago and she calls me to fix her machine. In a short story, I deleted several Trojans and Viruses. I then go to do the Windows Update (which she has never done) and it is going to take sevral hours on her 24K dial up. I leave and she calls me today and say's that the update worked, and now Internet Explorer won't open. She did get the newer version of Outlook Express, but IE 6 is dead. I tried the repair option in the conrol panel with no luck, also tried a IE fixit tool with no luck. Is there any way to reinstall Internet Explorer without reformatting the hard drive?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Get Firefox.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Got firefox, but need IE for windows updates. Firefox works great on it. Just need IE to get the 50 some odd windows updates she needs
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
IE and the regular Windows filebrowser are the same program, right? Can she click on My Computer and put in a web address to change the window into IE mode?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Basically just reformatted it beings a friend of hers installed 2000 on top of 98 and I think that may be the problem!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... Is there any way to reinstall Internet Explorer without reformatting the hard drive?

I think if you download the current version and install, it should take care of it.  Hit this link with another browser for the M$ IE homepage.  Download an IE installer for Win2k.  It will then download and download and download and download via dialup the required binaries.  Once the current IE is installed, her Windows Update problem should be resolved.

Alpine
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure if this helps, but I did some updates last week.  As soon as I installed them, I could not get online (DSL).  I finally did a boot with "last known good configuration" and everything is great, now.

No more updates for me.

I had to get on IE to get the updates.  I usually run Firefox.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
i would suggest uninstalling any google, yahoo, msn toolbars and any toolbar you find in the add/remove programs in the control panel.  they have been know to block IE, with very similar problems you are having.  

if you were running nav 2003 or older run this manual removal of nav products

xblock   will do a quick search for spware and such.  and posible fix winsock problem  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top