Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 12:28:52 PM EDT
I have a guy who's interested in setting up a wireless network. I've never done wireless--did a traditional 10/100 ethernet hookup at home. I don't have any information specifically about the setup yet, but I have some general questions about it. 1.) Knowing that WEP sucks and is (relatively) easily hacked, what kind of security measures would I have to take? There isn't really anything I can do about wireless packet sniffers, is there? 2.) Will the hardware allow me to set it up to restrict usage, or is that a server issue? I'm being really vague, I know, but I'm just kind of looking for a basic overview of the technology at this point. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:37:22 PM EDT
Wireless is pretty straight forward. Just follow the directions. I learned wired networking on the job, wireless is a breeze. Set the security as best you can. You are limited by the hardware you choose/use. Yes, the wireless router gives you lots of ways to restrict access. Change the Admin p/w, change the Lan/Wan ID, setup WEP with a hard p/w, limit number if connections. Enjoy! ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:40:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:10:06 PM EDT
You could use Cisco's Leap.
Top Top