Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 12:14:07 AM EDT
I just got a legit copy and started playing online. My question is, is the user interface (menus) slow as hell for everyone else or just me? To switch from say controls to multiplayer takes like a minute
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:08:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The slow interface/browser is one of the undeniable truths of BF2. Being new and all spend some time on this SITE

BTW what are your sys specs. That has alot to do with the slowdown.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any slow-down switching from menu to menu on my less than average PC specs.

The Multiplayer screen may be refreshing the screen with online servers, but pressing the stop button works immediately.

You may need to make sure you completely uninstalled/deleted the previous version and cleaning your PC of it 100%, before installing the retail copy.

Install the retail version of BF2 on your system without any trace of the prior version.

* Run the BF2 Uninstall
* Reboot your PC
* Delete the whole directory after the uninstall: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2
* Delete the User directory also: C:\Documents and Settings\your_name_here\My Documents\Battlefield 2
* Reboot your PC
* Make sure your Video & Audio drivers are updated/current
* Reboot your PC
* Install BF2 and then Special forces (if you have it)
* Download and install the  FULL 1.21 patch
* Reboot your PC
* Kill any uneeded tasks running in the background (anit-virus, firewall, etc..)
* Launch BF2

Your PC specs would help diagnose the problem, if you still have problems re-installing BF2. (CPU, RAM, Video specs, OS, etc..)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just got a legit copy and started playing online. My question is, is the user interface (menus) slow as hell for everyone else or just me? To switch from say controls to multiplayer takes like a minute

That problem happened to me, my solution was to go back to a previous version of a graphics driver. Fixed the problem, nothing else did. My card was an Nvidia card, not that that helps or anything.

-d
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That problem happened to me, my solution was to go back to a previous version of a graphics driver. Fixed the problem, nothing else did. My card was an Nvidia card, not that that helps or anything.

-d

The way it's meant to be played
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The slow interface/browser is one of the undeniable truths of BF2. Being new and all spend some time on this SITE

BTW what are your sys specs. That has alot to do with the slowdown.

Cant goto site as its blocked (I play at work cause im on dial-up at home)

AMD Athlon 64 3700+  (2.2Ghz)
2GB Crucial RAM
nVidia 7800GT
2x200GB Maxtor Diamond Max 11 HDD's
Jetway 939-GT4-Sli motherboard  (Love this damn board)

It plays the game just fine. Just didnt know about the interface issues.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The system is more than good. Your problem isn't hardware.

More likely driver or software issue.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ill try some different drivers tonight and see if I can finger ir out....  Although its not a huge issue as the game plays great and frankly, for my first time playing online, I kicked some major ASS!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, appears it was the USB wireless I was using here at work. Used my cell as a modem and not delays in interface. Got a PCI wirelesss card today and gonna try it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, maybe not. Its doing the same crap again... ARGH!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Try it on a wired connection.  Wireless LAN is the suxxorz for gaming.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]
maxtor hardrives  

jk

are you running the latest patches for the game.  do you have the latest .net framworking installed.   (its one of the recomened windows updates)

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try it on a wired connection.  Wireless LAN is the suxxorz for gaming.

I will be at friday nights lan party... Just wierd though... Oh well....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
maxtor hardrives  

jk

are you running the latest patches for the game.  do you have the latest .net framworking installed.   (its one of the recomened windows updates)

These are good HDD's.    And yes, all patches.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#14]
LAN party Friday night?  Damn I want to lan almost as bad as I want to do some shoot and scoot stuff with my new AR w/ aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
LAN party Friday night?  Damn I want to lan almost as bad as I want to do some shoot and scoot stuff with my new AR w/ aimpoint.

This will be my first.... One of the guys I work with is taking me/showing me the place.... Pretty cool, its guys/girls from a local church... Guess I better leave my sailor mouth at home huh?  LOL!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This will be my first.... One of the guys I work with is taking me/showing me the place.... Pretty cool, its guys/girls from a local church... Guess I better leave my sailor mouth at home huh?  LOL!!!

fuckin squids!!!!!!  

i was one myself!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, looks as though its the wireless BS. PLayed 12 hours straight at a Lan Party last night.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been told by people i know that i have to buy this game.

I put it off because of work and such, now i'm on paid time off from a workmans comp injury.

I loved the Rainbow six, quake, unreal, BHD, allied assault, GTA, etc series of games.  The biggest problem i had was they were either full of cheaters or not dynamic enough.  And it was hard to get orginized into teams.

Should i go pickup a copy?  Do i need to find expansion sets? Patches?

I know i'll need a ram upgrade too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've been told by people i know that i have to buy this game.

I put it off because of work and such, now i'm on paid time off from a workmans comp injury.

I loved the Rainbow six, quake, unreal, BHD, allied assault, GTA, etc series of games.  The biggest problem i had was they were either full of cheaters or not dynamic enough.  And it was hard to get orginized into teams.

Should i go pickup a copy?  Do i need to find expansion sets? Patches?

I know i'll need a ram upgrade too.

Yes get a copy. Dont have to have the 2 expansions, I dont. Just get BF2, install and download the patches..... Sit back and kill everyone.  

I pulled  a score of 134 before the 2x bonus for winning at work the other night... YEAH BABY!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#20]
system requirements:

1.7 GHz or faster processor.- i'm at 1.7

512 MB or more RAM- NEED upgrade

Supported 128 MB video card with the newest manufacturer drivers- i'm running 64mb nvidia.

2.3 GB free hard disk space plus space for the Windows swap file and save data- is this on the main hard drive or any?

so it looks like i need ram and a video card...  gotta shop price watch.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
system requirements:

Supported 128 MB video card with the newest manufacturer drivers- i'm running 64mb nvidia.

2.3 GB free hard disk space plus space for the Windows swap file and save data- is this on the main hard drive or any?

Processors are reasonably cheap. If you can swing it, I would also get a 3ghz or above processor.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't think i'll be able to.  I'd also have to get a new mother board.  If i went through all that, plus ram and a video card, i'd just get a new tower to boot .

And as i said i'm off work due to an on the job injury, i only get 65% of my pay, whenever they decide to cut the check that is.

Plus i'm fronting alot of co-pays and such.  

Which are really a bunch of excuses that i don't want to take away from my gun habit err budget.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
system requirements:

you are going to be on the very bottom of the food chain in the game and run everything at low.  not trying to be a dick but just letting you know.

you may want to d/l the demo to make sure the game supports your video card.  in fact i would play the multiplayer demo for a while as it is pretty good.  see how your machine runs the game and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:44:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, i don't have to worry about the upgrade now.  I'm not allowed to shoot for the next month.

My system is now Amd 3gig chip.  GeForce 6600oc and a gig of ram, and i got an LCD monitor on a sweet deal.

Bought the Special forces expansion.

However now i'm not able to get online. Workin on that tonight.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well, i don't have to worry about the upgrade now.  I'm not allowed to shoot for the next month.

My system is now Amd 3gig chip.  GeForce 6600oc and a gig of ram, and i got an LCD monitor on a sweet deal.

Bought the Special forces expansion.

However now i'm not able to get online. Workin on that tonight.

an amd 3000 or actual 3.0GHz?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top