Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 2:30:55 PM EDT
Well, this is just great. I ran to the mall yesterday for a few things and decided to grab a copy of Civ4. After I got home and tried to install it, I recieved a "catastrophic failure" immediately after inserting disk 2 during the installation. A little searching on the net revealed that the error meant I had a bad disk, so I drove back to the mall today after work, taking over an hour to fight rush hour traffic, and hurry home.

I dropped the new disks in my drive and ran the installation process again, only to get another "catastrophic failure" on disk 2. Publisher -> <- Me.

Now, would it be too wacky/odd of me to show up at Best Buy with my laptop in tow, and try to install every copy they have in stock until I find one that works?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
i had a similar problem with halflife 2.  it had like 5 cds i think

i tried installing the game 4 times.  each time it would get to cd 4 it would give some type of error.   after the 7  or 8th try it finally worked.

i switched out cd rom drives.  cables.  tried different ide cables.   all of a sudden it worked.  

and im the lead tech at my computer repair shop.    
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up taking my laptop along and exchanging the game. Third copy was bad, fourth copy worked. Its a very different game from Civ3, now you'll have a handful of cities instead of shoe-horning as many as possible onto a continent.  There's also a bit more intricacies involved with the government model, you have to pick a religion, bereaucratic method, etc, not just depotism, republic, democracy, etc.

That makes for some funny combos, in my current game, the Germans are Buddist, my country (America) is Jewish and I just beat the tar out of the Taoist Arabs.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top