Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
Productive night. Splashed a couple of ships, enemy bombers, strafed some infantry, and fucked the shit out of some sam sites. Getting a lot better at ir mav's

Getting used to having dedicated pedals is another story

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ObviousSnarlingGlobefish.webp
View Quote
What are you flying ? In jets like the hornet you shouldn't use the rudder much in air
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
For those flying I. The buddy spike servers.

Uninstall the A4 Skyhawks if you have it. It will cause server crashes
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

hornet, it was on the ground w/ NWS that i was having problems. just spinning out and overcorrecting and shit on take off/landing.

it seems weird to me that NWS would even come on when you are landing. i think maybe i need to tone it way down
View Quote
Driving too fast?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the new machine setup and running now with mfd's, new Saitek rudder and the Warthog.

Running as extreme of graphics settings as I can set on it...  WOW!!!!   Talk about spectacular graphics!  Holy shit!!!  

Just curious.  Does anyone in here have access to some metal working tools?   I have a DXRacer style chair, working on a center mounting system for the stick.  I have printed out some parts for a mount but just not sure if the PETG can take the abuse of the stick weight and movement.   Like to see about getting some plate steel or alum cut and punched.   I have a layout of the mount, would think that 1/8" or 3/16" would be thick enough to support everything.  No bends, no funky curves, nothing really crazy.  Basically a T-Shape with a rounded lower part of the T for the stick and a couple of holes punched in it to mount to the stick and chair.  May have to put 2 bends in it just enough to get the stick low enough on the chair with the extension to fit under the desk or at least not knock into the desk.   Anyone, bueller?

May try and get into the mp servers later.  Still working on getting SRS up and running and how I have to configure discord to be able to use in game comms.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:
Got the new machine setup and running now with mfd's, new Saitek rudder and the Warthog.

Running as extreme of graphics settings as I can set on it...  WOW!!!!   Talk about spectacular graphics!  Holy shit!!!  

Just curious.  Does anyone in here have access to some metal working tools?   I have a DXRacer style chair, working on a center mounting system for the stick.  I have printed out some parts for a mount but just not sure if the PETG can take the abuse of the stick weight and movement.   Like to see about getting some plate steel or alum cut and punched.   I have a layout of the mount, would think that 1/8" or 3/16" would be thick enough to support everything.  No bends, no funky curves, nothing really crazy.  Basically a T-Shape with a rounded lower part of the T for the stick and a couple of holes punched in it to mount to the stick and chair.  May have to put 2 bends in it just enough to get the stick low enough on the chair with the extension to fit under the desk or at least not knock into the desk.   Anyone, bueller?

May try and get into the mp servers later.  Still working on getting SRS up and running and how I have to configure discord to be able to use in game comms.
View Quote
Make sure you don't set the Comm1 and 2 switches in game.  Leave them blank, otherwise DCS and SRS fights over who gets the key bind.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Went over to my buddy's place.  Flew the TF-51D Mustang in VR.

Holy shit, gentlemen!  I gotta upgrade my PC!!!!  So awesome, so natural.  Wow.  Truly felt like I was back in my Piper Cherokee.  (well, a lot more controls and such, but you know what I mean.)  The fullsize 1:1 scale cockpit and world make for total immersion.

(I have the PSVR, but only have First Person stuff like Skyrim.  I can play for hours without feeling weird.  I did get it working on my PC about a year ago and tried Elite in it, but it's rez and refresh rates are far too low.  Nearly instant motion sickness, and that was just sitting still looking around the cockpit!)
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:30:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Tomcats get my dick hard.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:

Make sure you don't set the Comm1 and 2 switches in game.  Leave them blank, otherwise DCS and SRS fights over who gets the key bind.
View Quote
Not in my case/

I have comm 1 and comm 2 as direct x input on my hotas in dcs . I also set the same direct x input on my hotas to the radio 1 and radio 2 ptt in srs.

So I can both talk To humans and use the in game comm with ai with the same buttons.

Only downside is that you get the comm menu showing up when you speak, but no big deal
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#10]
DCS World - F-14 - The wait is almost over (Teaser)
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
The amusing thing will be if the f14 is more complete at release than the current f18...
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Shung:

Not in my case/

I have comm 1 and comm 2 as direct x input on my hotas in dcs . I also set the same direct x input on my hotas to the radio 1 and radio 2 ptt in srs.

So I can both talk To humans and use the in game comm with ai with the same buttons.

Only downside is that you get the comm menu showing up when you speak, but no big deal
View Quote
Interesting. Me and a friend of mine both had that issue with different sticks. Might try it again now that I've gone to directx mapping. Used key profile before.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting. Me and a friend of mine both had that issue with different sticks. Might try it again now that I've gone to directx mapping. Used key profile before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shung:

Not in my case/

I’ve had the same experience as shung.  Worst case you have to click the ptt real quick to clean the comms meme from the screen.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, it was a long week away since my first post.  I had the holidays to travel for and then went to miami for the CFP game.  Back in town now.

In my brief time, I did manage to get DCS up and running on my machine.  For whatever reason, it doesn't want to launch to my monitor, only my occulus, even if my occulus isn't plugged in.  Occulus just loads and fails with "no display device".

So, inside my occulus, it works great, except I don't have a HOTAS yet so fumbling around the keyboard for hotkeys is difficult when you can't see it!  A keyboard remap might be in my future this evening.

I went through the startup / taxiing / take off tutorials and managed to get a plane off the ground after about 5 tries.  I'll consider that a success

Going to go ahead and order a HOTAS and start tweaking the graphics settings to see if I can figure out where the sweet spot is.

Also going to start looking at DLC.  Looks like the planes everyone likes to fly are $80 or so.  I see a bunch of 5$ stuff, but basic reading has shown me that that is not the way to purchase aircraft.

Anyone care to explain to me the best starting places?  What would you buy first, if you could have only one.  Right now, mostly interested in just getting some time in mastering basic flying techniques.  Will look to multiplayer when I can keep a plane from crashing into the ground
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

The FC3 planes aren't bad, especially at the sale price.

The A-10 is the most feature complete jet, but it is frankly a challenge to employ all the weapons.  I have the Harrier and the F-18 and they are both good jets, just not done yet.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up the FC3 pack and the BlackShark.  Looking forward to crashing them!  In fact, I might stream my first flight in the Blackshark, just for the LuLz.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Joehs:
Well, it was a long week away since my first post.  I had the holidays to travel for and then went to miami for the CFP game.  Back in town now.

In my brief time, I did manage to get DCS up and running on my machine.  For whatever reason, it doesn't want to launch to my monitor, only my occulus, even if my occulus isn't plugged in.  Occulus just loads and fails with "no display device".

So, inside my occulus, it works great, except I don't have a HOTAS yet so fumbling around the keyboard for hotkeys is difficult when you can't see it!  A keyboard remap might be in my future this evening.

I went through the startup / taxiing / take off tutorials and managed to get a plane off the ground after about 5 tries.  I'll consider that a success

Going to go ahead and order a HOTAS and start tweaking the graphics settings to see if I can figure out where the sweet spot is.

Also going to start looking at DLC.  Looks like the planes everyone likes to fly are $80 or so.  I see a bunch of 5$ stuff, but basic reading has shown me that that is not the way to purchase aircraft.

Anyone care to explain to me the best starting places?  What would you buy first, if you could have only one.  Right now, mostly interested in just getting some time in mastering basic flying techniques.  Will look to multiplayer when I can keep a plane from crashing into the ground
View Quote
Glad you like it and that the rift is great, I've got mine on order and can hopefully get it working with my less than stellar gfx card.

HOTAS will be a major help with flying, I can't even imagine trying to do it with a keyboard, though I did so waay back when.

Starting places. If cash is concern first wait for a sale to buy modules, usually they can be up to 50% off on most of the older stuff. I honestly now own most of DCS due to those sales (doh) but there is no way I'm flying even half of them. If there is a plane you are particularly interested in I'd say get that and learn it.

My .02 on FC3 vs Clicky is that they are basically 2 different things entirely. FC3 gets you a bunch of planes that are easy to learn and fly, but you aren't really "flying" IMO until you can operate a clicky plane because so much stuff is oversimplified in the FC3 planes.

Other than that, FC3 planes will basically be just like the SU25 you are playing with some minor differences in terms of interface (i.e. the AA modes will obviously be more robust on a su27 than a su25) but the key commands for stuff will basically be the same, and no clicky pits, you push button 1 for AA and button 2 for AG, stuff like that. Clicky planes will be more complicated, but will actually feel like you are flying a real plane but you will have to devote some time to learn them. You can try to learn on the TF51, though I think many of the early jets are easier. I'd recommend the F5 or L39 as first "clicky" plane, not too complicated and they force you to learn how to use navigation aids. I also recommend against the early access planes, as they can be more complex and they are often bug riddled and incomplete feature wise, so you have to continually re-learn stuff, or live with things breaking with updates. Its taken me months to gain a basic proficiency with the harrier due to various shit being broken, not documented, or the videos being outdated.

The other answer is get both. You can futz around having fun in FC3 planes for a quick dogfight or bombing run and then learn to fly a clicky at the same time depending on your mood.

anyhow my .02 cents
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow.  The fully interactive clickable cockpits are cool!  TrackIR helps so you can lean forward to look at a button, or lean around somthing to see a switch down low, or behind you.

That said:  Holy crap, I need a manual for the Blackshark?  Starting up engines is complicated.  I managed to get fuel flowing and I think one engine started, but the instructor voice over doesn't repeat, so I lost track of which buttons to flip next.  LoL.

I then tried the weapons training.  So, that taught me auto hover, and I managed to blow up a truck!  It's pretty cool using the TV monitor to adjust your aim and all the different firing modes for the different weapons.

I'm glad I can hover!  This stuff would be silly hard at Mach 2!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Pulled the trigger on the F-14 pre-release tonight, on sale for $69.95.  

CANT WAIT!!!

And a HUGE shout out to @Keekleberrys for the help last night.

It looks like there is a bug with the hot start and the radios not setting up properly.   Still digging around on the issue, but it does work if I manually startup the Hornet.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:
Wow.  The fully interactive clickable cockpits are cool!  TrackIR helps so you can lean forward to look at a button, or lean around somthing to see a switch down low, or behind you.

That said:  Holy crap, I need a manual for the Blackshark?  Starting up engines is complicated.  I managed to get fuel flowing and I think one engine started, but the instructor voice over doesn't repeat, so I lost track of which buttons to flip next.  LoL.

I then tried the weapons training.  So, that taught me auto hover, and I managed to blow up a truck!  It's pretty cool using the TV monitor to adjust your aim and all the different firing modes for the different weapons.

I'm glad I can hover!  This stuff would be silly hard at Mach 2!!
View Quote
Google chucks guides + whatever plane. You can print em, keep em on your phone, or add em to your kneeboard. BIG HELP.

And yeah clicky planes at least give you the taste of being a real pilot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:

It looks like there is a bug with the hot start and the radios not setting up properly.   Still digging around on the issue, but it does work if I manually startup the Hornet.
View Quote
Yup... Early access and all that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish you could play DCS World like it was Fleet Command. I wonder if they are looking in to that at all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JustaGunNut:
I wish you could play DCS World like it was Fleet Command. I wonder if they are looking in to that at all.
View Quote
Falcon BMS has a campaign mode where you can run an air campaign if thats what you mean? Otherwise DCS has "Combined Arms" which I don't own so can't comment on, but in general DCS at best is a series of scripted missions strung into a campaign.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 4:06:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I’ve had the same experience as shung.  Worst case you have to click the ptt real quick to clean the comms meme from the screen.
View Quote
better fix to this is, if you are using a 4 way china hat for comms, you use left and right for comm1 and comm2... than you affaect up to the DCS general comm (the one you use on the ground for example). so when you want to close the comm menu after talking in SRS you just press up. So that you dont send a comm static on SRS. Also it can be used on the ground with the F-5E for example.

for china hat down, maybe you can have comm3, for like the A-10C
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:29:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#26]
Originally Posted By Joehs:

View Quote
Install Oculus tray tool.

if you want to play on your monitor, when plugged, first launch the Oculus tray tool, and turn anything OCULUS OFF, and then launch the game, and it will work

right now I would get the Hornet and F-14 (because it will be very soon available)

after that I would go for the Harrier and Mirage 2000C

Atter that F-5E and MiG21bis-

the CASA and L39 are nice but limited in terms of war missions.

After that F-86 and Mig-15

and warbirds if you are into these.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone knows if you can use the bonus for gifts ?

I have 30$ bonus in my account that will never get to spend for myself. Im looking for a way to spend it (at least for somebody else here) but its almost impossible because you cannot use it on products on sales anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARinKCMO] [#28]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Google chucks guides + whatever plane. You can print em, keep em on your phone, or add em to your kneeboard. BIG HELP.

And yeah clicky planes at least give you the taste of being a real pilot.
View Quote
THANKS!  Just having the photos of the controls and instruments labeled with what they are is a huge help.
(I'll also have to dig into the settings and see how he got everything labeled in English...)
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Watch me Not successfully start an engine in the BlackShark!  Later, watch me successfully blow up a truck!

Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#30]
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:

THANKS!  Just having the photos of the controls and instruments labeled with what they are is a huge help.
(I'll also have to dig into the settings and see how he got everything labeled in English...)
View Quote
If on the main menu you click the settings "gear" you there is a submenue tab called "special" or something like that, with all the modules listed on the side of screen, click the one you want and there are often various options, typically one of them is "Engrish labeled pit".

PS nice avatar
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Just doing wingman shit.

Just Wingman Things - DCS F/A-18C
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:
Just doing wingman shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWOsuL62a8E
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#33]
One must admit though.. Videos of VR suck a lot !
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#34]
anyone flying right now ? I have the next 4hours available !
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Hot damn. I just saw this thread and I'm gonna have to drag all my shit out again to fly. I've got an old Saitek HOTAS that I used with moderate success but could never get the profiles just right.

I've got FC3, A10C, MiG21, and the F5 modules.

When I get back home and get some time, I'll join up on Discord. I tried to get some of my friends into it, but they're all a bunch of scrubs who don't want to put any work into it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Are you guys getting on at any set time, or just whenever?
Any specific server?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By samurai77:
I tried to get some of my friends into it, but they're all a bunch of scrubs who don't want to put any work into it.
View Quote
So they are "gamers"?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:15:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeyIsaacs] [#38]
DONT STEP ON SNEK!!!  HAIL KEK!!!!  

Drop this file in the "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\FA-18C\Liveries\FA-18C_hornet" folder.

DONT STEP ON SNEK!  VMFA-87

Im claiming the 031 plane!

Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Link seems to be dead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:39:19 AM EDT
[#40]
It was a little snowy tonight when I tested the new paint!

Still have a few things I need to adjust around a little.

Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:43:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:
Link seems to be dead.
View Quote
Thats one drive for you...  I changed the link over to Dropbox Public.  Should work now.   Let me know if not.

I am going to make a couple minor adjustments to it in the next day or two.

If anyone wants it with their name on it, let me know in here.   EXACTLY how you want it to look.

Like this.

PILOT:   LT. JOEY ISAACS
CALLSIGN:  "JOKER"

Anyone have any ideas for extra graphics or changes?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone know someplace to get a HOTAS cheaper?  Looked on Ebay and didn't really see anything which was a good deal.  Didn't know if there's a EE someplace.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Pita_146:
Anyone know someplace to get a HOTAS cheaper?  Looked on Ebay and didn't really see anything which was a good deal.  Didn't know if there's a EE someplace.
View Quote
How much you wanna spend? 100 bucks? 500 bucks?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pita_146] [#44]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'd like a nicer stick, but don't really wanna spend $500.  Was wondering if anyone knew of a place that had deals on stick routinely, or the "arfcom" of HOTAS where I could snag someone's warthog when they upgrade to a VKB or VIRPIL.

ETA So I guess the answer to this question is: as little as possible while getting quality.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd like a nicer stick, but don't really wanna spend $500.  Was wondering if anyone knew of a place that had deals on stick routinely, or the "arfcom" of HOTAS where I could snag someone's warthog when they upgrade to a VKB or VIRPIL.

ETA So I guess the answer to this question is: as little as possible while getting quality.
View Quote
I've seen a couple on /r/hotas
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#46]
F18 to get the LITENING TGP from the A10C in one of the next few updates since USMC Hornets use them.  Sounds like the ATFLIR dev might be coming along slower than anticipated.  LITENING isn't carrier landing capable though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
A lot of people just upgraded the stick, or even part of it rather than got an entire HOTAS to upgrade from a Warthog, so finding a set for cheap is probably going to be tough... just my guess.  Maybe look at one of the older Saitek models if you don't have a HOTAS at all, or try pairing a Warthog stick only with one of the cheaper throttles.  You can get a non-Warthog throttle from thrustmaster for like $50, then go with a higher quality stick.
Here is a decent HOTAS for cheap, but I found it had way too much "stiction" leaving center, but a few zip ties on the spring helped a ton.  Someone may have come up with a better mod since I had mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saitek-X45-Digital-Joystick-and-Throttle-Combo-Most-Advanced-Flight-Controller/273636940122?hash=item3fb608595a:g:ANIAAOSwPg9cLUPm:rk:13:pf:0
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#48]
F18 to get the LITENING TGP from the A10C in one of the next few updates since USMC Hornets use them.  Sounds like the ATFLIR dev might be coming along slower than anticipated.  LITENING isn't carrier landing capable though.
View Quote
Also it looks like it has to be mounted on the center pylon, so goodbye external tank.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
I think my warthog was on sale for like 3-350 a few months back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#50]
View Quote
Thats what that stores jettison button is for .... Thats where all the money from those 400 dollar hammers really goes. Cuz ima "aviator"...
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top