Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jokermann77:

Thank, I will look into RK. It's a Valor BD-62. It's been a nice little snag from FB-Marketplace! It has been great! Yeah, it has some limitations compared to a commercial cable machine. With that said, I love it and I'd get another one, especially for small spaces like mine.

https://valorfitness.com/products/valor-fitness-bd-62-wall-mount-cable-station
View Quote
I have that same little cable machine. It's great for what it is. You're not going to do heavy lat pulldowns or anything, but for a lot of accessory stuff, it works really well for a inexpensive home gym option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By jcatcg:
I have that same little cable machine. It's great for what it is. You're not going to do heavy lat pulldowns or anything, but for a lot of accessory stuff, it works really well for a inexpensive home gym option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank, I will look into RK. It's a Valor BD-62. It's been a nice little snag from FB-Marketplace! It has been great! Yeah, it has some limitations compared to a commercial cable machine. With that said, I love it and I'd get another one, especially for small spaces like mine.

Exactly! I eventually want to upgrade it to something bigger/better at some point. For now though, despite it’s limitations it’s a good little cable unit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
How much weight can you/would you put on it?

I have an elastic band setup with three wall attachments that would end up being similar to that and I might someday want to get something with real weight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By corwin1968:

I have an elastic band setup with three wall attachments that would end up being similar to that and I might someday want to get something with real weight.
View Quote
I don't recall what the manufacturer's claimed weight limit is, but it's way more than I ever load on it. For a stand alone machine like this w/o anything to brace your body on, once the weights start getting heavy the movements get pretty awkward anyways b/c you're fighting against your body being pulled to the machine rather than the stack being move if that makes sense.

The stuff I use this for is more hypertrophy based so I'm doing lighter weights for higher reps. I tend to do one-handed stuff on it, so my top loadings are generally between 40-60 pounds. You can load way more on there but that's all I can claim to have a lot of use with.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Thank, I will look into RK. It’s a Valor BD-62. It’s been a nice little snag from FB-Marketplace! It has been great! Yeah, it has some limitations compared to a commercial cable machine. With that said, I love it and I’d get another one, especially for small spaces like mine.

View Quote

Thanks. $322 with shipping included. That’s a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a rack and bench on the way. Both should be here tomorrow. Tryna get buff on a budget . I got the Fitness Reality 810 XLT power rack and a Rep Fitness FB-4000 bench. It'll all work for my uses, and didn't cost me too much. Both products are very well reviewed, and a big step up from my current setup. This is what I've been using on and off for a couple years. It works fine, but I'm already uncomfortable with its weight limit, even though I haven't surpassed it (300lbs). I've hit failure on bench press and was able to roll the bar down to my hips and sit up. Thankfully haven't failed a squat, because there's nothing I could do but toss the bar and plates off my back onto the ground, with my current setup. But I'm looking forward to having safeties for when I fail a rep in the future. After having seen some impressive testing on safety straps, I will be replacing the pins that come with the rack, with safety straps.

I do need to get a new barbell soon (mine has a 300lb weight limit, just like the bench/squat combo I'm using now). I'm pretty dead set on the Rogue Bar 2.0. Seems like a ton of great reviews, and it seems to be reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If you’re doing mostly powerlifting type stuff (squats, bench, deadlifts), skip the rogue bar and get something with a center knurl like the Ohio power bar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
If you’re doing mostly powerlifting type stuff (squats, bench, deadlifts), skip the rogue bar and get something with a center knurl like the Ohio power bar.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I'm a rookie, so I've been doing SL5x5.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The Ohio power bar is going to give you a) center knurling b) much more aggressive knurling c) pretty much zero whip/flex with any weight mere mortals work with. It's also 29mm in diameter.

The 2.0 is a hybrid between an power bar and an Olympic bar. It's 28.5mm and has comparatively mild knurling and no center knurl. It has a decent amount of flex. It's gonna be a better choice for weightlifting and more dynamic movements where you want that whip.

I have both and use the power bar more often but there are lifts where I definitely prefer the 2.0.

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Add me into the “Rogue Ohio Power bar” crowd. I love mine, so I agree with the rest. If you’re doing mostly the main 3 lifts with no Olympic lifts, and not dropping from over head I’d get the Power bar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The Ohio power bar is going to give you a) center knurling b) much more aggressive knurling c) pretty much zero whip/flex with any weight mere mortals work with. It's also 29mm in diameter.

The 2.0 is a hybrid between an power bar and an Olympic bar. It's 28.5mm and has comparatively mild knurling and no center knurl. It has a decent amount of flex. It's gonna be a better choice for weightlifting and more dynamic movements where you want that whip.

I have both and use the power bar more often but there are lifts where I definitely prefer the 2.0.

View Quote

Thanks for the info.

What about the finishes? Looking at the Black Zinc and E-coat. Not sure which one to go with, or if another finish is generally preferred.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:

Thanks for the info.

What about the finishes? Looking at the Black Zinc and E-coat. Not sure which one to go with, or if another finish is generally preferred.
View Quote
The only finish I can comment on is the black zinc w/ bright zinc sleeves. I have 5 rogue bars, all with this finish and so far haven't seen any oxidation. My gym is in a shed that's insulated but I still get some condensation from time to time but the bars have withstood that w/o issue.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks for the info.

View Quote

What’s the environment you’ll be lifting in? If it’s not super humid and well finished, most prefer the feel of bare steel. You have to oil it every so often with 3-1 to protect from corrosion.

Zinc will wear off eventually. E coat is more durable, but the consensus says it milds the aggressive OPB knurling texture it’s famous for. Stainless is the most desired as it’s the highest resistance to corrosion with a natural feel to the knurl. However it’s the most expensive and often out of stock.

Then you’ve got the 45lb vs 20kg to decide. I prefer the 45lb because the collars are a little wider, meaning the weights are farther from the uprights so there’s less chance of banging them while racking or unracking. You can fit a little more weight on the 20kg bar, but as a newbie that’s a feature that probably won’t make a difference.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Went ahead and ordered the Rogue 45lb OPB in Black Zinc. Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Went ahead and ordered the Rogue 45lb OPB in Black Zinc. Thanks, guys.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Rep fitness has 2 all stainless steel power bars.  And the reviews are pretty good for them.   they are maid in China so there is that..     and shipping from them can be more than Rouge.  But vets and emergency services workers get 5% off.  

One of them has a more aggressive grip than the Rouge.  I got that becase I was getting a lot of other stuff from them to save in shipping.   have not looked at it yes because my garage gym is still sitting in the boxes as of this moment.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve got a zinc Ohio Bar and a Rogue B&R bar.

Never had an issue with either one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BadBobTheAlbino:
I’ve got a zinc Ohio Bar and a Rogue B&R bar.

Never had an issue with either one.
View Quote

Made in the USA baby. I’ve never used any of reps bars, and it’d be nice to have a full stainless bar, but for a couple bucks more I can get something not imported from communist cocksuckers.

I had a bare steel OPB, it unfortunately started rusting when I had to keep it in storage for a couple months. Sold it and my Ohio deadlift bar (also started rusting) and put the proceeds towards a 20kg stainless OPB. At first, I wished I would have gotten the 45lb version. The skinny collars make the plates way close to the uprights and I was banging plates against them when doing my walkout or racking. It’s made me really tighten up my form, which is a benefit.

When I bought my gym setup, I was trying to use as much of a $5000 scholarship I had received to get the 5 k ships free deal, so I bought a shitload of specialty barbells I never used. I should have just got the stainless OPB from the beginning.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Made in the USA baby. I’ve never used any of reps bars, and it’d be nice to have a full stainless bar, but for a couple bucks more I can get something not imported from communist cocksuckers.

I had a bare steel OPB, it unfortunately started rusting when I had to keep it in storage for a couple months. Sold it and my Ohio deadlift bar (also started rusting) and put the proceeds towards a 20kg stainless OPB. At first, I wished I would have gotten the 45lb version. The skinny collars make the plates way close to the uprights and I was banging plates against them when doing my walkout or racking. It’s made me really tighten up my form, which is a benefit.

When I bought my gym setup, I was trying to use as much of a $5000 scholarship I had received to get the 5 k ships free deal, so I bought a shitload of specialty barbells I never used. I should have just got the stainless OPB from the beginning.

View Quote

Yeah, I don’t think my bare steel B&R would survive a summer in storage.

I haven’t had any issues, but I do have to clean it at least twice a month.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Max weight is supposed to be 200lbs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Heads up, Rep fitness’s Memorial Day sale starts at 10am mountain time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Thanks. I try not to buy foreign made equipment, but I’ll take a look.

The only equipment I want, but don’t have, is an adjustable bench.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

No pics but my gym shed turns into a sex shed when my wife lifts with me about half the time
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

No pics but my gym shed turns into a sex shed when my wife lifts with me about half the time
View Quote

So I’ve got this idea.... a sex swing attachment that interacts with the uprights of power racks to change position.

Everyone’s like why not just get a sex swing and I’m like because I’ve got a fucking power rack where I’d put it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:36:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bophades45] [#25]

So I’ve got this idea.... a sex swing attachment that interacts with the uprights of power racks to change position.

Everyone’s like why not just get a sex swing and I’m like because I’ve got a fucking power rack where I’d put it!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

https://www.repfitness.com/memorialday-sale-2021?p=1

Didn't see anything I need. I do want some more j-hooks, but it looks like the only ones on sale are for 3x3 racks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, ok sale on their racks. Not much selection for barbells.

Great deals on benches and kettlebells, though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, ok sale on their racks. Not much selection for barbells.

Great deals on benches and kettlebells, though.
View Quote

Yep. Right after I bought their FB-4000 bench at normal pricing. Damn it.

I'm on the lookout for more plates, if anyone knows who has the best pricing shipped. Need at least a pair of 45s and 10s. At the moment, I'm not doing anything that requires dropping the weights, so plain ol' iron plates are fine for me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I didn’t see anything I really wanted.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Rep did the sale one week after my rack , bar and bench arrived lol.    I did pick up a crossmember I forgot to order with my rack, that was on sale and a few things that where not in stock when I ordered my rack..   saving $15 is saving $15 lol
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Finally got to use my new Rogue OPB (I wanted to wait til I got new j-hooks that wouldn't mark the bar all up ).

That knurling. Feels great in the hands. Especially coming from a cheapo bar that had shit knurling. I'd heard the jokes about being able to grate cheese on the knurling of a good bar. Seems accurate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice. Having some chalk is a good idea. Not so much for grip but to keep your calluses dry so that aggressive knurling doesn't tear 'em.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice. Having some chalk is a good idea. Not so much for grip but to keep your calluses dry so that aggressive knurling doesn't tear 'em.
View Quote

I actually have a chalk ball on the way. But I do need to work on my grip strength, too. I missed my last rep on my last set of deadlifts on Wednesday, due to losing grip about halfway up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#34]
A few renovations to the home gym. Wife and daughter  also use this hence the cardio equip. I have about 400 lbs. of plates, the power rack with lat attachment, bench with preacher curl attachment, adjustable dumbbells go up to 55lbs., and the heavy bag that I mostly use. I use the bike as well to warm up and get the blood flowing.

Still have a few more things that need to get done to finish the gym, but its getting there.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:51:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Breed] [#35]
Originally Posted By Quiganomics:
A few renovations to the home gym. Wife and daughter  also use this hence the cardio equip. I have about 400 lbs. of plates, the power rack with lat attachment, bench with preacher curl attachment, adjustable dumbbells go up to 55lbs., and the heavy bag that I mostly use. I use the bike as well to warm up and get the blood flowing.

Still have a few more things that need to get done to finish the gym, but its getting there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411079/Resized_20210609_075017_jpeg-1972490.JPG

View Quote

Damn, that's a nice setup!

I have that same rack. I love it, especially for the price and quality/durability (Garage Gym Reviews on YouTube has a video of him dropping over 700lbs from above squat height onto the pins and it takes it like a champ). My only complaint is the hole spacing. Closer hole spacing would have been nice, but again, for the price, I won't complain.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:53:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quiganomics] [#36]
Yeah, for the price this rack is great. I bought the lat attachment for it as well, but its wasn't put together when this pic was taken. Only complaint I have for that is the posts for the plates on it are standard, I figured they would have been olympic.....for the lat attachment that is.. My fault for not checking, just ordered some standard to olympic adapters.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quiganomics] [#37]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Your bike matches the cobra Kai flag…. Nice
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Your bike matches the cobra Kai flag. Nice
View Quote
Yeah, it was a happy coincidence
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:08:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#40]
View All Quotes

I'm not a huge expert on the cable machines but that is damn intriguing for a home gym.

My question is how important are the multi position arms that the commercial machines use to the full array of workouts?  It looks like that's the main difference other that obvious commercial construction and pin weights.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:54:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jokermann77] [#41]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:

I'm not a huge expert on the cable machines but that is damn intriguing for a home gym.

My question is how important are the multi position arms that the commercial machines use to the full array of workouts?  It looks like that's the main difference other that obvious commercial construction and pin weights.
View All Quotes

Honestly, I have never used one with the multiple positioning arms. The gym I’ve been using for 8 years before my Garage Gym setup only had an old school cable cross machine with a high pully and low pully.
Yes, It is easier to use stacks, but with this little cable station I just throw on10’s as I progress in weight (I’ve got 4 pairs of 10’s because of loadable dumbbells). Then I add on 25’s and then 10’s.

I use this for accessory work. Lat pull Downs that I do on the ground on my knees as a work around. Tricep work, additional lat work with straight arm pull Downs, chest flys, if I get an attachment I’ll be able to do some leg work with it. Set it up in a low position and you can do shoulders by doing shrugs, floor seated rows, I mean I could go on and on with stuff you could do. yeah not as good as a commercial machine that costs thousands but it gets the job done for a couple hundred and works great! I would buy another one with no hesitation! Maybe one day if the situation presents its self and  circumstances are different I may upgrade. Until then, I have really been loving this little cable machine.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Not really that important. Just nice to have.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Honestly, I have never used one with the multiple positioning arms. The gym I’ve been using for 8 years before my Garage Gym setup only had an old school cable cross machine with a high pully and low pully.
Yes, It is easier to use stacks, but with this little cable station I just throw on10’s as I progress in weight (I’ve got 4 pairs of 10’s because of loadable dumbbells). Then I add on 25’s and then 10’s.

I use this for accessory work. Lat pull Downs that I do on the ground on my knees as a work around. Tricep work, additional lat work with straight arm pull Downs, chest flys, if I get an attachment I’ll be able to do some leg work with it. Set it up in a low position and you can do shoulders by doing shrugs, floor seated rows, I mean I could go on and on with stuff you could do. yeah not as good as a commercial machine that costs thousands but it gets the job done for a couple hundred and works great! I would buy another one with no hesitation! Maybe one day if the situation presents its self and  circumstances are different I may upgrade. Until then, I have really been loving this little cable machine.  
View All Quotes

Great reply. Thanks. Its not my next investment but I really like that machine at its price point.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Garage gyms are so nice during the fall and spring.

I’m frickin dying out here in the summer heat.

Box fan is not cutting it at all today.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#45]
What type of fan do you have?

I use a MaxxAir fan and crack the garage door a little bit and I’m good.

I also wait until later in the evening to lift in general, but I work night shift and have a reversed schedule, so lifting at 9pm might not work for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:54:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#46]
The power rack I made, I built it to fit the Rogue Infinity assessories. My main bar is a Rogue 2.0 Ohio Boneyard, Boneyard curl bar, Titan Safety Squat bar, Chi-com hex bar. Rogue economy bumper set and a mix of cast plates. I found it was best to have multiple pair of change plates. The cable tower is from Titan, I modified this to work with Olympic sized weights. I bought a Rogue Matador dip attachment for the power rack, put in a regular and fat tube pull up bars on top of my rack. Rogue Echo bike, a bunch of Captains of Crush Grippers, cast dumbells and kettlebells too. I made the plate rack with 4 heavy duty poly wheel casters. It can take a full load but I use the lower power rack peg mounts that pulled the big weight off the plate rack. I still think some small change plate pegs could go on the front of my power rack too.

I cut down my Titan bench to get it to one of the Powerlifting Federation height specs. The Titan bench still wiggles even though I welded it together vs the bolt up it came as. I wanted a solid flat bench but screwed up on the height forgetting to subtract the pad thickness. More work.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but it's my cramped little dungeon. Once I get the solid bench finished I'll design a rack for the dumbells and kettlebells.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

More pictures are in the old archived home gym thread. I used a mill with DRO for the tube drilling operation on the power rack.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BadBobTheAlbino:
Garage gyms are so nice during the fall and spring.

I'm frickin dying out here in the summer heat.

Box fan is not cutting it at all today.
View Quote
This is why I love that my gym is in the basement. Cooler than the rest of the house in summer. It's good for all seasons.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
More pictures are in the old archived home gym thread. I used a mill with DRO for the tube drilling operation on the power rack.
View Quote

How do we get threads stickied so we don’t get another home gym thread archived? The last one had some great pics.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#49]
How do we get threads stickied so we don’t get another home gym thread archived? The last one had some great pics.
View Quote

It’s up to the forum mod, for what get tacked and untacked.  The last pic thread got untacked and fell off the current bumped threads.
This thread will never last a pinning with the current year in the title, it is sure to make it into the archives. At least a paying member can still browse the archives. I basically used the old pic thread as a build thread for my home gym. Lots of good stuff in there.

Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
The power rack I made, I built it to fit the Rogue Infinity assessories. My main bar is a Rogue 2.0 Ohio Boneyard, Boneyard curl bar, Titan Safety Squat bar, Chi-com hex bar. Rogue economy bumper set and a mix of cast plates. I found it was best to have multiple pair of change plates. The cable tower is from Titan, I modified this to work with Olympic sized weights. I bought a Rogue Matador dip attachment for the power rack, put in a regular and fat tube pull up bars on top of my rack. Rogue Echo bike, a bunch of Captains of Crush Grippers, cast dumbells and kettlebells too. I made the plate rack with 4 heavy duty poly wheel casters. It can take a full load but I use the lower power rack peg mounts that pulled the big weight off the plate rack. I still think some small change plate pegs could go on the front of my power rack too.

I cut down my Titan bench to get it to one of the Powerlifting Federation height specs. The Titan bench still wiggles even though I welded it together vs the bolt up it came as. I wanted a solid flat bench but screwed up on the height forgetting to subtract the pad thickness. More work.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but it's my cramped little dungeon. Once I get the solid bench finished I'll design a rack for the dumbells and kettlebells.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98037/IMG_7774_JPG-1984812.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98037/IMG_7775_JPG-1984847.JPG
View Quote

How are those fat pads? I’ve never used one.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top