Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jcatcg:
All that space
View Quote

Little over 400 sq ft of mat space, I'm trying to keep it out of the other functional areas but it's spreading.
Downside to having it in the shop vs a regular garage is I don't have as much wall space as I'd like. So I'll eventually build mobile storage for plates, kettlebells, bars, etc.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SubQ:

Little over 400 sq ft of mat space, I'm trying to keep it out of the other functional areas but it's spreading.
Downside to having it in the shop vs a regular garage is I don't have as much wall space as I'd like. So I'll eventually build mobile storage for plates, kettlebells, bars, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jcatcg:
All that space

Yeah, that’s really nice.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BadBobTheAlbino:

Yeah, that’s really nice.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Still a work in progress, but getting there.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Quiganomics:
Still a work in progress, but getting there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411079/Resized_20210419_132009_jpeg-1910961.JPG
View Quote

Looks good - need more plates and dumbbells

Joking aside - when we decided to build a home gym I picked up one of those all in one benches. It was a Marcy and I hated it. Leg extension sucked, preacher curl sucked, and it wasn't very good even as a flat bench. Happy day when I upgraded to a good bench.
Yours looks more substantial so hopefully your experience has been different.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Looks good - need more plates and dumbbells

Joking aside - when we decided to build a home gym I picked up one of those all in one benches. It was a Marcy and I hated it. Leg extension sucked, preacher curl sucked, and it wasn't very good even as a flat bench. Happy day when I upgraded to a good bench.
Yours looks more substantial so hopefully your experience has been different.
View Quote
I have another 300 lbs of plates not in that pic...just been too busy to move them down to the basement from the garage. Dumbbells are adjustable from 5-50 in 5 lb increments, will be adding some larger ones soon. Also not pictured is the lat attachment for the power cage, again, been too busy to assemble it. Like I said, work in progress still.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Quiganomics:
I have another 300 lbs of plates not in that pic...just been too busy to move them down to the basement from the garage. Dumbbells are adjustable from 5-50 in 5 lb increments, will be adding some larger ones soon. Also not pictured is the lat attachment for the power cage, again, been too busy to assemble it. Like I said, work in progress still.
View Quote

it always is
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Six months into my home gym. This is the best decision I’ve ever made.

Not just for me, but the effects on my girl...
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I believe it was the wise dom mazzetti  who once said, “these exercises will give you big dick energy when you have little dick dick.”
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DocBach:

I believe it was the wise dom mazzetti  who once said, “these exercises will give you big dick energy when you have little dick dick.”
View Quote

But in another Trueisum of Dom is " Don't spot me...  watch me"      and " did you lift it if no one is there to mire you doing it ?"    

Both are hard to do in a home gym buy yourself lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Link for exercises?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:12:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cur] [#14]

View Quote

Makes it all worthwhile

My only complaint is my discretionary funds were “reallocated”, so a thermal optic is going to have to wait.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Transformed my small garage into a pretty nice gym. I also have tractor tires for flipping outside and a mat on my patio to do double under jump rope. All I need now is to get a box for box jumps to finish it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DocBach] [#16]

Link for exercises?
View Quote

Exercises to Make You Better at Sex
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Best part of home gyming

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:30:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bophades45] [#18]
View Quote

No shit! My girlfriend is doing squats every goddamn day now.

She’s upgraded from a booty to a frickin dump trunk.

God bless those nice folks at Rogue. Making America great again one ass at a time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Still trying to get her to do more barbell stuff, and her squat depth sucks. Probably should get her some actual lifting shoes to help with her mobility.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Still trying to get her to do more barbell stuff, and her squat depth sucks. Probably should get her some actual lifting shoes to help with her mobility.
View Quote
It's been over a decade since I've been under a barbell, but weight lifting shoes are the difference between me being able to squat and me not squatting at all.

I've actually been thinking about digging them out of the closet and starting a bodyweight regimen for the purpose of building up to barbell squats in six months, or so.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Added some loadable dumbbells to the garage today. I can go all the way to 315 apiece if I wanted to with the weights I already own.

Great decision.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By corwin1968:
I've reduced my home gym to a very basic level.  I'm never going to lift huge poundage, nor do I particularly want to.  I'm naturally stocky, so size has never been a major goal.   During trap bar deadlifts, I can feel my right knee shifting on every rep and the sound it makes is frightening.  I'm probably headed for shoulder surgery and moderate weight barbell deadlifts were aggravating it as far back as 2006.  Cardio, dumbbells and a flat bench for the forseable future.

I have enough plates to load each dumbell from 5 pounds to 62.5 pounds, in 2.5 pound increments, with room to spare if I decide to buy more plates.
I'm too lazy to arrange everything enough for a decent picture, so I snatched some images from the internet, showing what I have, except my bench is all black, thankfully.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42575/Home_gym_jpg-1827766.JPG

View Quote

@corwin1968

How do you like the bikerg ? I’ve been on the wait list for months and think I’m up to buy next week. I’m really looking to use it for a indoor trainer for long distance/mountain bike conditions and less for short interval ESD because I already have a rower and echo bike. Is the bikeerg good to get on and ride for an hour? None of the reviews I’ve read have mentioned how comfortable or effective it is for long rides.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Some nice gyms ya'll have.

Here's mine as it is now.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4q9thS5/0/7956ab4d/L/i-4q9thS5-L.jpg

Waiting on the last two boxes from Rogue to finish the GHD.

Near term plan is to replace the PRx half rack with an RM6. When the wife asked to build a gym in the shop, I didn't want to use much space so I made her get a fold up half. Since I started working out I've changed my mind .
I also need to scrounge up some square steel tube and fab up a weight tree to get the bumpers off the floor.

Further out I want to get a 5-75 lb set of Rep hex rubber dumbbells. I like the straight full knurl handles. Maybe also an FT one day. Oh...and some rubber grip plates.

For those looking a stall mats for their gym - I highly recommend the Rural King mats over Tractor Supply. I started with 4 mats from TS. They ranged in size from 5'11' to 5'11-3/4' long. and 3'11' to 3'11-1/2' wide. I picked up 15 more from RK and (with one exception) they were all 6'1/8 to 6'1/4' long and 4'1/8' to 4'1/4 wide. The exception was 6'1/2" long.
RK mats were $6 cheaper, did not stink, MUCH more consistently sized. And the texture is a lot more comfortable.

RK mat texture
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-BRmdg9P/0/7715e482/L/i-BRmdg9P-L.jpg

TS mat
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Mpz5mXS/0/4697028a/L/i-Mpz5mXS-L.jpg
View Quote

@SubQ

Where do you get the RK mats?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#24]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/441745/1CC4A126-9E51-4148-A5CE-BA6634621F50_jpe-1941542.JPG

Added some loadable dumbbells to the garage today. I can go all the way to 315 apiece if I wanted to with the weights I already own.

Great decision.
View Quote

Only 315lb curls? Man, that’s beta as fuck

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AlphaThree:

@SubQ

Where do you get the RK mats?
View Quote

@AlphaThree

Rural King
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:02:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#26]

@corwin1968

How do you like the bikerg ? I've been on the wait list for months and think I'm up to buy next week. I'm really looking to use it for a indoor trainer for long distance/mountain bike conditions and less for short interval ESD because I already have a rower and echo bike. Is the bikeerg good to get on and ride for an hour? None of the reviews I've read have mentioned how comfortable or effective it is for long rides.
View Quote
I love the bikeerg!  ZERO regrets about buying it.  

I only do short intervals, because sitting on a stationary bike for any period of time is psychological torture for me.  But, I had an Airdyne for years and the bikeerg is much, much more suited to long distance/time riding.  In fact, I've seen several people online who mention that the bikeerg excels at long rides and that for that reason, they use it more than their assault bike or similar HIIT oriented bike.  

If you are on Facebook, join the bikkerg page, numerous people post up their PM readings after a ride and long distances/times are extremely common there.  

I don't think you will be disappointed with the bikeerg, but in the unlikely event it doesn't work for you, you can probably sell it quickly.  

My riding is usually short distance (ie, 1 mile, 2000 meters, 4000 meters max) intervals or short time (ie, 2, 3, 4 minutes) intervals.  These are not even high powered intervals, I'm 53, totally deconditioned and weigh almost 400 lbs.  These are intervals that challenge me, but don't come close to HIIT training.  Yesterday, I got out on my real bike, a heavy duty off-road touring rig with 50mm + knobbies and I felt like superman.  I haven't felt that kind of power and endurance in 20 years.  I was blasting up hills at higher speeds, in higher gears, than I would have thought possible a year ago.  I'm 100% sure that's due to the bikeerg work I've put in.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking to do a lot of upgrading of my equipment. Is it worth it to wait and see if any of the big companies do sales for Memorial Day and Father's Day? Or is there no chance of sales with the high demand of everything fitness related?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
Looking to do a lot of upgrading of my equipment. Is it worth it to wait and see if any of the big companies do sales for Memorial Day and Father's Day? Or is there no chance of sales with the high demand of everything fitness related?
View Quote

Rogue usually doesn’t have sales with lower prices on special days, but sometimes they’ll do special runs like flat dark earth stuff for Veterans Day or pink stuff for breast cancer week or whatever. Their big sale is matte Black Friday, price reductions and also five ships free deals.

Not sure about other vendors,
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Rogue usually doesn’t have sales with lower prices on special days, but sometimes they’ll do special runs like flat dark earth stuff for Veterans Day or pink stuff for breast cancer week or whatever. Their big sale is matte Black Friday, price reductions and also five ships free deals.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Ordered over $3000 worth of stuff from REP fitness last week..  stuff started showing up today...  you know just as the gyms reopen without mask rules lol
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Blaster7R:
Ordered over $3000 worth of stuff from REP fitness last week..  stuff started showing up today...  you know just as the gyms reopen without mask rules lol
View Quote

Just think how nice it’s going to be never having to wait for some douchebag to stop curling in the rack you want to use.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Winning
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:18:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhart89] [#35]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:

Long time, no see. Nice BFLs.
View All Quotes

Last time I posted a pic is was bare studs.   It’s been a slow but steady transition into a finished basement.   I need to finish the built in behind the squat rack.  Going to do shiplap there    
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

Last time I posted a pic is was bare studs.   It’s been a slow but steady transition into a finished basement.   I need to finish the built in behind the squat rack.  Going to do shiplap there    
View All Quotes

My basement gym still needs some love too, I'm horrible about getting something to it's useful state then failing to finish the project
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Just think how nice it’s going to be never having to wait for some douchebag to stop curling in the rack you want to use.
View All Quotes

More appropriately..  How nice it will be to do curls in the squat rack with out some tool asking me how many sets I got left lol

It will pay off for its shelf in just convenience or workouts.     I think it was Coop from Garage Gym Reviews said something like.   If building a home gym was a monetary decision no one would do it...   It would take over 10 years to recoup the money over a golds gym membership.  It is a lifestyle decision
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#38]

More appropriately..  How nice it will be to do curls in the squat rack with out some tool asking me how many sets I got left lol

It will pay off for its shelf in just convenience or workouts.     I think it was Coop from Garage Gym Reviews said something like.   If building a home gym was a monetary decision no one would do it...   It would take over 10 years to recoup the money over a golds gym membership.  It is a lifestyle decision
View All Quotes

Yup

My bar bell and 8 45s cost me well over a grand
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#40]

It would take over 10 years to recoup the money over a golds gym membership.  It is a lifestyle decision
View Quote

I mean, I could get a cheap power rack, bar and weight set and have a full functional gym for about $600 if I really wanted to

However yes i believe I fall into the second category, but I’ve actually never had a private gym membership. I would never go to a commercial gym, hate being around tons of people, hate waiting to use equipment, and hate driving to get there. I had a rock climbing gym membership and I went like three times with work friends and spent hundreds of dollars I never used.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhart89] [#41]
When I finished my basement I lost about 25% floor space to my wife.  I have a cybex leg press machine siting in my garage as I type this.  I’m too lazy to post it for sale on EBay.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#42]
When I finished my basement I lost about 25% floor space to my wife.  I have a cybex leg press machine siting in my garage as I type this.  I’m too lazy to post it for sale on EBay.
View Quote

My SO has a bunch of gym equipment taking up space too. Silly ab spinners and stair climbers, other garbage she's collected.

I tell her it's a good thing she's sexy
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Here is my humble little garage gym set up. I still need to do a few things, including getting some stall mats. I have a 3 bar vertical bar hanger I haven’t gotten around to mounting yet. I’d like a dumbbell rack and a few more dumbbells as well as a few odds and ends... But, this my setup as of now.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:12:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DocBach] [#44]
Nice, super space efficient! I was gonna ask what all the 10lb plates were for then I saw the loadable dumbbell handles.

Have you thought of an adjustable system? My nuobells replaced a 5-50lb dumbbell set and goes up to 80lbs. Would work well in a space like that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By corwin1968:
I love the bikeerg!  ZERO regrets about buying it.  

I only do short intervals, because sitting on a stationary bike for any period of time is psychological torture for me.  But, I had an Airdyne for years and the bikeerg is much, much more suited to long distance/time riding.  In fact, I've seen several people online who mention that the bikeerg excels at long rides and that for that reason, they use it more than their assault bike or similar HIIT oriented bike.  

If you are on Facebook, join the bikkerg page, numerous people post up their PM readings after a ride and long distances/times are extremely common there.  

I don't think you will be disappointed with the bikeerg, but in the unlikely event it doesn't work for you, you can probably sell it quickly.  

My riding is usually short distance (ie, 1 mile, 2000 meters, 4000 meters max) intervals or short time (ie, 2, 3, 4 minutes) intervals.  These are not even high powered intervals, I'm 53, totally deconditioned and weigh almost 400 lbs.  These are intervals that challenge me, but don't come close to HIIT training.  Yesterday, I got out on my real bike, a heavy duty off-road touring rig with 50mm + knobbies and I felt like superman.  I haven't felt that kind of power and endurance in 20 years.  I was blasting up hills at higher speeds, in higher gears, than I would have thought possible a year ago.  I'm 100% sure that's due to the bikeerg work I've put in.
View Quote

Awesome. My number finally came up on the waitlist last week. BikeErg was delivered yesterday l!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:10:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice, super space efficient! I was gonna ask what all the 10lb plates were for then I saw the loadable dumbbell handles.

Have you thought of an adjustable system? My nuobells replaced a 5-50lb dumbbell set and goes up to 80lbs. Would work well in a space like that.
View Quote

Thanks! I’ve set it up so everything is efficient in the space. Only thing that isn’t “dual purpose” is a small deadlift Jack I just ordered. I’ve looked into the Nüobell, but this setup is more versatile. As well as it was cheaper as a whole. I already had 2 pairs of 10’s, so I just got a couple more to work with the handles. I can also use those 10’s for the cable station which is actually pretty convenient. On top of that, each handle can be loaded to 220lbs and was only $154 for a pair (including shipping from Fringe Sport). So not only can I supplement them along with the dumbbells I already have, I can use them for heavier farmers carries (slightly awkward with larger plates, but it’ll do). The goal is to get a 3 tier dumbbell rack down the road and finish the set (by 10’s), leaving me with only needing 40’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. Then I’ll use the loadable handles for 85lb+. I prefer actual dumbbells, so that is a compromise of sorts.

Good suggestion though!
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Awesome. My number finally came up on the waitlist last week. BikeErg was delivered yesterday l!!
View Quote
I think you'll be very happy with it.  

Let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone have a stand for Powerblock dumbells?  They make 3 different stands, one looks like a TV tray, one is supposed to be super wobbly, and the newer one looks good but doesn't have a spot for adder weights.  Looking for recommendations.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By jokermann77:
Here is my humble little garage gym set up. I still need to do a few things, including getting some stall mats. I have a 3 bar vertical bar hanger I haven’t gotten around to mounting yet. I’d like a dumbbell rack and a few more dumbbells as well as a few odds and ends... But, this my setup as of now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78149/055A70CB-0AFE-41ED-BD47-0202C42C4CEF_jpe-1952545.JPG
View Quote

Looks great!

What cable machine is that?

On stall mats - In an earlier post I recommended Rural King mats over Tractor Supply. If you have an RK near you it’s worth checking them out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:02:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jokermann77] [#50]

Looks great!

What cable machine is that?

On stall mats - In an earlier post I recommended Rural King mats over Tractor Supply. If you have an RK near you it’s worth checking them out.
View Quote

Thank, I will look into RK. It’s a Valor BD-62. It’s been a nice little snag from FB-Marketplace! It has been great! Yeah, it has some limitations compared to a commercial cable machine. With that said, I love it and I’d get another one, especially for small spaces like mine.

https://valorfitness.com/products/valor-fitness-bd-62-wall-mount-cable-station
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top