Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Ended up running to a 3hr test. All three bullets weighed a clean 55gr, I tried to pour in just enough to cover.

Which came out to 150gr KG12, 178.5gr pro-shot, and 125gr "bore cleaner, rifle".

The kg12 bullet tarnished as shown last year. It weighed in at 54.7gr.

Pro-shot made a small bit of tarnish right next to where it was sitting in the cup. It still weighed 55gr. When I moved the cups, I noticed a tiny blue streak making its way around the liquid.

Military bore cleaner didn't do a damn thing. Not that I honestly expected much.

So don't rely on the latter two... I'm fairly positive that in my above post, the proshot just cleaned up the pieces KG12 left behind. I really wanted the stuff to work too.

Maybe I should do a less scientific test and rub some copper onto steel to get the streaking, and use the old mk2 eyeball and beercan-lifter to determine effort required to remove the streaks. I'm thinking there has to be some requirement of abrasion or massively increased surface area for there to be effectively no blue in the proshot cup, yet it will turn a patch blue easily. The jag I'm using is marked .30/8mm, so it must be a touch oversize to be useful on a 8mm, it takes a good bit of effort to punch the bore of a .308 or aught six. I noticed a tiny bit less effort trying to clean the x54r bore of my mosin, but it still took some effort. That must cause a decent bit of abrasion between the bore and patch, at least when considering an already very soft metal which should be in the process of being dissolved.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top