BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheNorth] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4_man_223:
I got one last week with my bow and it went down quicker than a whitetail. I would say anything that will kill a deer is good for bear.
View Quote
Too many people consider the bear a mythical creature that requires a massive magnum round.
Five years from now people will be scoffing at the 338 RUM and saying it’s not enough.
Would I use a 22lr? I hope I never have to, but I’d feel just fine even with a lowlie 357 mag lever.

To answer your question, 556 on an interior Grizzly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I will believe in shot placement forever. A 22 to the dome is alot more effective than a 300wm to the elbow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]

This 260 lb bear with .357 magnum.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
either my balls are very small or i just cant imagine using a 223 on a bear lol then again ive killed 6 bears and am planning on using a 45 this year
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
either my balls are very small or i just cant imagine using a 223 on a bear lol then again ive killed 6 bears and am planning on using a 45 this year
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Black bear, I would use anything I would for whitetail.  30/30, 45/70, etc.  For Browns, kodiak and grizzly, depends on terrain.  Not so close up shots, maybe an ‘06 but I have a couple 300 mags to choose from, so one of them possibly. If encounters will be much closer, 338win or 375h&h would be my go to. I would even use my 416 for good fun.  Not because I feel it’s needed but because I’d want to
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
I was told NM game wardens replaced there AR-10s with AR-15s and that they had no problem dispatching black bear with 556. I was offered a deal on there AR-10s on there way out.

View Quote

I don’t believe the AR-10 replacement was a choice made by the wardens. I believe it was forced on them as part of a state police weapons consolidation program.
Also, at least three of those same wardens are now also carrying a personal 18 or 20 inch bolt gun in .308 put together for them by the same smith. These guys get called to go dispatch multiple animals that cross on to private land or into other GMUs and need something they drop a bull elk or bear at range with.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Illegal to shoot a bear with .223 here, why I went with 6.8...
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Smallest caliber I've shot bear with is a 357 mag. 158 gr Remington soft point. I only have a pic of last year's in my phone. Lung shot at 30 yards and second shot at 50 as he ran after the first hit. 255 lbs. One bullet recovered expanded just under the hide on the off side. He made it maybe 40 yards before he was down.

Attachment Attached File

The biggest caliber I've used was a 375 Rem Ultra Mag with 300 Swift A Frame bullets on a 472 lb bear. Very poor bullet performance as it never opened up. I had to shoot it twice.
I've also used a 270 Win and a 30-06 on some average size bears with better luck than the 375. I headshot a bear with a 357 Sig one night at about 20 feet and it was an instant lights out but that don't count as it was work related and wasn't hunting.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top