Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 14 of 14)
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
would Hornady Steel match 75 gr BTHP be a sufficient load (shot placement is key I know)?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jharpphoto:
would Hornady Steel match 75 gr BTHP be a sufficient load (shot placement is key I know)?
View Quote
I'd say the most likely answer is yes.

Are Match Bullets Suitable for Defense? Hornady 75gr BTHP Gel Test
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:14:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#3]
Attachment Attached File

Finally recovered a bullet.  Barnes 62 gain TSX factory ammo, 5.5 year old doe at 55 yards, deer was slightly lower than my blind, and had her head down, bullet entered spine between her shoulders, took out the upper part of the heart, and ended up in the hip.  I've shot 5 deer this year with this rifle/load and all were one shot stops, and none ran more than about 40 yards.

LWRC M6IC A5 16" barrel with TA-11 ACOG, SSA-E.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
im curious, does your states allow you to have more than 5 or 6 rounds in your AR's or any rifle/shotgun?  (Nebraska does not allow no more than 6 cartridges in a semi-auto firearm)

im looking for a 5 round mag for my AR before i take it deer hunting.  any ideas?
View Quote

Indiana doesn't have a restriction thank goodness
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Any new rounds to recommend ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Local bass pro has Win 64gr and Sig 60gr ammo. Which should I go for?

I have some BH 77gr TMK  also
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:
Local bass pro has Win 64gr and Sig 60gr ammo. Which should I go for?

I have some BH 77gr TMK  also
View Quote

Winchester 64 gr JSP been working as designed for years.  Don't know about the SIG 60 gr.  I have shot and harvested 3 deer with BH 77 gr SMK (Mk262 Mod1) years ago.

CD
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
75g bthp match? Anyone ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
75g bthp match? Anyone ?
View Quote

Try scrolling up on this page.  There is a gel test video that you might find useful.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I am going (hopefully) to try the Vortex Barnes 55gr TSX on Missouri does out of my 16" with Sico Saker on it in two weeks. Last time I was there a couple years ago, I used a 64gr winchester power point to good effect on a big fat doe at 40 yards. After a very brief sprint it dropped mid stride like a sack of potatoes, the heart and lungs looked like a bomb went off in them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 4:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#12]
Anyone using 77grn OTM ammo on deer (Mk 262 Mod 1, or equivalent factory or handloads)?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:54:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#13]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
Anyone using 77grn OTM ammo on deer (Mk 262 Mod 1, or equivalent factory or handloads)?
View Quote

I have successfully in the past.  Like any other bullet shot placement is key.

CD
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:55:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: heavy260] [#14]
I took a doe at 310 yards with a 77gr TMK. Pass through and big blood trail. Went less than 30 yards. My daughter took a nice 9pt buck at 227 yards (pic is in my avatar and the hunting thread) with the same bullet through the shoulder. Bullet did not exit because the hide on the far side kept it from going through.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
I took a doe at 310 yards with a 77gr TMK. Pass through and big blood trail. Went less than 30 yards. My daughter took a nice 9pt buck at 227 yards (pic is in my avatar and the hunting thread) with the same bullet through the shoulder. Bullet did not exit because the hide on the far side kept it from going through.
View Quote

Awesome buck right there!
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#16]
This weekend 2 hunters went out and 3 deer were taken down using the Winchester Dear Season XP ammo in 223. 16" barrel.

Summary: effective round. Seems to like to alter trajectory/fragment inside. Looked like a clean passthrough, but there is expansion with minimal meat damage. I suspect the lead core goes through after separating from jacket.  Only one of three rounds had a fragment recovered. Small bullet means less chance of excessively destroyed meat. Design means it is effective.

2 bucks and a doe.

Buck 1 - 160yds. Deer dropped immediately. It didnt look like a spine hit but he was paralyzed and the shot was from an elevated spot. Didnt see any damage to spine bone. Maybe just knicked yhe cord. Exit wound was just above the shoulder. Heart and lungs intact. Bullet went through at least one rib (from the inside) and the jacket was recovered just inside the hide above the exit wound, which looked only a bit bigger than the entrance. The path inside was good. Not a ton of damage to the meat, about a 1-2" hole where the bullet expanded. Was significantly lareger than the exit wound.

Buck 2 - 100yds. He ran for about 100yds through some brush/woods after the hit. Bullet entered above the shoulder and looks like it hit a lung. Very small entrance wound with just a wee bit of blood coming out, barely.  He was laying on the exit wound side with a lot of blood but again, it looked like a clean passthrough. There was no blood trail but he was struggling after 50yds and was dead when I got there. Internally seemed it was just above the liver and tbere was again a 1-2 internal hole with a lot of bloodshot. Heart intact, lungs were a mess to get out.

Doe - 100yds. Ran a few  feet and dropped dead. Bullet looked like it went diagonal from lung area to gut. Again, small entrance small exit. Good internal damage. No damage to gut, heart, or lungs.

All 3 field dressed but only 1 was deboned on site.  The rest we sent to be processed due to time constraints.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mike103:

I recommended this load in another thread only because it is available through ableammo.com.

The Federal premium the person wanted in out of stock everywhere!

I have no experience with it.

I sighted in my AR and my two sons AR's with the standard Remington 55 grain Soft points.

I have misgivings about this load but I have several boxes in stock and we will only shoot does with this load.

This ammo shortage is unbelievable.

I thought only the high volume ammo would be in short supply but even standard hunting ammo for common calibers are hard to find.[/b]

I would have thought they would have ramped up production for hunting season.

Anytime I see ammo in Walmart, Dick's or any other local store I buy what I use just to have it in stock.

MIKE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mike103:
Originally Posted By DrDeath:
How about this Remington round? Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded Rifle Ammunition PRC223R4, 223 Remington, Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded, 62 GR, 3100 fps.....

I recommended this load in another thread only because it is available through ableammo.com.

The Federal premium the person wanted in out of stock everywhere!

I have no experience with it.

I sighted in my AR and my two sons AR's with the standard Remington 55 grain Soft points.

I have misgivings about this load but I have several boxes in stock and we will only shoot does with this load.

This ammo shortage is unbelievable.

I thought only the high volume ammo would be in short supply but even standard hunting ammo for common calibers are hard to find.[/b]

I would have thought they would have ramped up production for hunting season.

Anytime I see ammo in Walmart, Dick's or any other local store I buy what I use just to have it in stock.

MIKE.

@mike103 how did 2020/2021 compare to 2009?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:53:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike103] [#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:17:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dana] [#20]
Would thrse be adequit for deer and hog under 150yrd from s16"  barrel?

They are cheap and I just ordered a bunch to see how they shoot.
AAC 5.56 NATO Ammo 77 Grain Sierra MatchKing HPBT
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]
TMK would be better but those should work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone tried out the Winchester 62gr OT Select Grade Ammo? I'm guessing it would be fine inside of 300yds, but I would like to go to 500yds.

Also when it comes to the Winchester 64gr power point, what would be the max affective range with a 20" barrel?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By wtwining:
Anyone tried out the Winchester 62gr OT Select Grade Ammo? I'm guessing it would be fine inside of 300yds, but I would like to go to 500yds.

Also when it comes to the Winchester 64gr power point, what would be the max affective range with a 20" barrel?
View Quote

Depends on the barrel but I killed a doe a few years back with a 64gr Power Point at 150yds from a 16” rifle

ETA sorry for the old thread reply
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wtwining:
View Quote

The farthest I've killed a deer with my 20-inch AR15 is 200 yards.  I used the Sierra 65 grain Game King.  In 2021, my cousin killed a 10-pointer at 243 yards using the same bullet out of a 16-inch barrel.  Both were one shot kills.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Maine says I can shoot deer with a .22 mag if I want
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Got a good deal (free) on a couple boxes of this.   How will a 69gn SMK do?
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438654/97BBD945-0029-4737-A431-5E7060AFBD45_jpe-3013689.JPG

Got a good deal (free) on a couple boxes of this.   How will a 69gn SMK do?
View Quote

If you take a head or neck shot it’ll probably work, a body shot will fragment and tear up the meat.  It’s a target round I’d only use on deer if I had nothing else.  I’d definitely shoot a coyote with it
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#29]
What bullets are you guys using this year?
My gun opener is tomorrow morning.
I have my 14.5" AR sighted in with handloaded 64gr Nosler BSB bullets or
I have my .308 sighted in with 150gr Remington Core-lokt.
I'm going to try a high shoulder shot if it presents itself.
At wits end trying to decide which gun to use.
Anyone with experience on the 64gr Noslers?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
What bullets are you guys using this year?
My gun opener is tomorrow morning.
I have my 14.5" AR sighted in with handloaded 64gr Nosler BSB bullets or
I have my .308 sighted in with 150gr Remington Core-lokt.
I'm going to try a high shoulder shot if it presents itself.
At wits end trying to decide which gun to use.
Anyone with experience on the 64gr Noslers?
View Quote

My kids have killed quite a few deer with 62gr Federal Fusions (Gold Dot) and all have performed at or beyond my expectations.  

I would have to believe a 64gr bonded soft point would perform well on whitetail sized game.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:

My kids have killed quite a few deer with 62gr Federal Fusions (Gold Dot) and all have performed at or beyond my expectations.  

I would have to believe a 64gr bonded soft point would perform well on whitetail sized game.
View Quote
I ended up using my .308 and dropped him with a high shoulder shot but plan
to use my 14.5" AR tomorrow afternoon.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I shot a doe which I estimate at 100-120# on the hoof. The shot was taken with an 11.5" 5.56 SBR, suppressed. The distance was 90m. The deer ran 125m across cleared field, mostly, the last 5m of which was through light brush, where it expired promptly. At the impact site there was foamy blood with chunks (lung tissue). Within about 20 feet of where the deer lay, there was significant blood trail. I did not bother tracking all of it, because I could see where the deer piled up. The reaction to being shot was a shoulder twitch (or maybe that was impact?) and a little "startle kick" and then the deer took off running, keeping pace with the other 2, until it didn't. It just collapsed and died. The structures impacted were ribs upon entry, both lungs, and ribs upon exit. The angle was directly perpendicular to the shooter. Ammunition used was MK318 MOD 0 SOST.

Bullet path Left to Right in photo.
Attachment Attached File

Lungs, entrance:

Attachment Attached File

Lungs, exit:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:
I shot a doe which I estimate at 100-120# on the hoof. The shot was taken with an 11.5" 5.56 SBR, suppressed. The distance was 90m. The deer ran 125m across cleared field, mostly, the last 5m of which was through light brush, where it expired promptly. At the impact site there was foamy blood with chunks (lung tissue). Within about 20 feet of where the deer lay, there was significant blood trail. I did not bother tracking all of it, because I could see where the deer piled up. The reaction to being shot was a shoulder twitch (or maybe that was impact?) and a little "startle kick" and then the deer took off running, keeping pace with the other 2, until it didn't. It just collapsed and died. The structures impacted were ribs upon entry, both lungs, and ribs upon exit. The angle was directly perpendicular to the shooter. Ammunition used was MK318 MOD 0 SOST.

Bullet path Left to Right in photo.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453733/received_362886476117153_jpeg-3040235.JPG

Lungs, entrance:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453733/received_715458874069762_jpeg-3040237.JPG

Lungs, exit:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453733/received_243886201831260_jpeg-3040240.JPG
View Quote
I have some of those rounds laying around.
Looks like it did a hell of a job!
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 1:38:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#34]
I estimate this deer at 110# live weight. I shot it 1 hour before I left for work, so the autopsy of soft tissue regarding lungs etc. Will have to be verbal. I noted significant blood in the chest cavity upon splitting the sternum. The path through the lung tissue was roughly 1.25-1.5" across. No fragmentation was noted. The damage to the liver was roughly the size of a nickel. Due to the frontal nature of the shot (the deer was very nearly facing me dead on, albeit with his left shoulder and rear him slightly toward me, the projectile's path through the vitals was not as "text book" as a broadside shot which somewhat limits our ability to ascertain its terminal disruption. However, the projectile seems to have a deep and more narrow wound path with sharp demarcation which indicates good velocity through the target as well as sharp edges, as opposed to a round like the RA556B or similar which adopt a more "blob" shape.) The projectile did not seem to directly impact the spine but did pass very near. He immediately locked up and went down and did not move again. Blood at the site was minimal and mainly from his nose/mouth. The rest of the pertinent data follows in a video I will upload.

Weapon: 11.5" sbr
Ammo: 70gr tsx
Range: 95m
Estimated impact velocity based on prior 100m chrono data for this weapon and ammo: 2350fps

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Using The Barnes 70gr TSX On Game
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Getting a 18inch Ballistic advantage SPR barrel 1/7 twist set up for deer

I know 1/7 tends to like high 60’s and up for grains on projectiles

I don’t have the ability to reload yet nor will I in the next year

What factory loads will do well?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#36]
Originally Posted By JustinRyan:
Getting a 18inch Ballistic advantage SPR barrel 1/7 twist set up for deer
I know 1/7 tends to like high 60’s and up for grains on projectiles
I don’t have the ability to reload yet nor will I in the next year
What factory loads will do well?
View Quote

My “deer” SPR runs a White Oak 18” upper and barrel (1/7 twist), suppressed.

Current venison hawtness is IMI 77grn Mod 1 OTM ammo (Sierra MK bullet).
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 14 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top